Pope to Resign?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pope to Resign?

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Wait. Is it resign or re-sign?

Re-sign. The Pope re-signed with Vatican City. 10 years, 87 million. God told him no one deserves more than Crosby. Pope wasn't sold on it until he was offered a no-movement clause and a guaranteed spot in heaven.

He's more of a passion play than power play guy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am

While I am Serbian Orthodox I honestly wouldn't mind to see the next Pope continue the work Benedict has done in reconciling East and West.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:24 am

columbia wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

Re-sign. The Pope re-signed with Vatican City. 10 years, 87 million. God told him no one deserves more than Crosby. Pope wasn't sold on it until he was offered a no-movement clause and a guaranteed spot in heaven.

He's more of a passion play than power play guy.

+1
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:25 am

Nice to see you around again, G. :thumb:

This Pope has been directly implicated in covering up an almost systemic level of child abuse within the Catholic church. Cardinal Ratzinger, as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith*, personally directed the inter-dioceses transfers of priests that had been accused of molesting children to avoid the public embarrassment of civil and criminal proceedings. No one knows more about the breadth and depth of the Church's cover ups in these cases than Pope Benedict. That he was ever elected Pope is equal parts baffling and unsurprising..... which is a difficult trick to pull off, honestly.

*The church body now known as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith this once went by the name Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition. So.... yeah.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 am

Alejandro Rojas wrote:While I am Serbian Orthodox I honestly wouldn't mind to see the next Pope continue the work Benedict has done in reconciling East and West.

really? I pictured you as a Presbyterian...

My fiancee's family is Serbian Orthodox. She said she loved going to church with her grandfather and having no idea what was being said, but somehow understanding exactly what was going on.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 am

I honestly thought this was a bad rumor or an early April Fools joke. As a Roman Catholic, I never thought I'd see the day (despite tif's accurate account).
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 am

count2infinity wrote:
Alejandro Rojas wrote:While I am Serbian Orthodox I honestly wouldn't mind to see the next Pope continue the work Benedict has done in reconciling East and West.

My fiancee's family is Serbian Orthodox. She said she loved going to church with her grandfather and having no idea what was being said, but somehow understanding exactly what was going on.

Yeah, no.

Vatican II will go down in history as one the grandest historical blunders by any institution ever. Whenever the Church tries to be like the world, the world always wins.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 am

I saw the pope, it was cool.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I saw the pope, it was cool.

Oh so its you that ruined him. He saw you and was all like "**** it I can't deal with these people anymore" and called it quits. Way to go bro, way...to...go.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Rylan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I saw the pope, it was cool.

Oh so its you that ruined him. He saw you and was all like "**** it I can't deal with these people anymore" and called it quits. Way to go bro, way...to...go.

He heard the criticisms of all the arm chair popes, realized that the GM of Vatican City, Mr. Christ was never going to get him a winger, and now he wants out. I don't blame him, he can make twice as much tax free in his home country.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:

The real issue is that since his contract is a 35+ contract is that the remainder of his contract will still be on the book until he passes away.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

Yeah, no.

Vatican II will go down in history as one the grandest historical blunders by any institution ever. Whenever the Church tries to be like the world, the world always wins.

arent you point breeze penguins?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:I hear The X has an opening.

POTY

The Pope... With Bob McLaughlin... mornings on 105.9 The X!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:Vatican II will go down in history as one the grandest historical blunders by any institution ever. Whenever the Church tries to be like the world, the world always wins.

I have to respectfully disagree on VATII.

I was born and raised in the post-VATII Catholic Church, it was a major influence in my upbringing, and I can tell you by my very nature that I would not have adhered to a faith where the leader of the services had his back turned to me and was speaking in an ancient dead language.

And VATII was vitally important in erasing the hard-line of absolutist intolerance that had been at the very foundation of the Catholic Church for hundreds of years, with the critical addition to the Lumen Gentium: "Nevertheless, many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside its (The Church’s) visible confines."
Basically that little sentence made all the difference in the world when it comes to a basic acceptance of those who live and practice a different truth then members of the unified Church. Without that slightest level of tolerance for other faiths, even Gandhi would have been condemned to hell by Church doctrine, again something that would have certainly driven me directly out of the faith.

Today I have noticed a creep back into some pre-VATII practices reemerging in the modern Church and I see it as my duty to resist and oppose such a slide back into the dark ages. For instance, when the Priest greets us with “Peace be with you,” I still respond with “And also with you” instead of the now proper“And with your spirit.”

The former is a greeting, person to person, as I believe that Jesus would intend his Liturgy to be celebrated. The now correct and formal response elevates the Priest and puts him on a “higher” spiritual plane then us peons filling the pews.

To me, the Priest's only “special” role during the Mass is being the Minister of the Sacramental Eucharist, and that occurs through him as one of us, ordained by the Grace, Mystery, and Power of our Lord and Savior, not from man, but from God. So I refuse to acknowledge the Priest, Bishop, or, even the Pope himself, as existing on some special, higher, and parallel plane than anybody else.

That is what being a Catholic means to me anyhow.

I hope and pray that the next Pope is from either Latin America or Sub-Saharan Africa. The Church can use a breath of fresh air outside the reigns of old, Euro-centric, and "safe" handling.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 pm

When I went to Catholic school, it was "and also with you."

When did the change happen?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rylan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:07 pm

columbia wrote:When I went to Catholic school, it was "and also with you."

Between when I was a sophomore in high school and now so in the past 6 years?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm

I think the fact that he is resigning is a testament to how far humanity has come intellectually in the last few thousand years. He understands that though he was "chosen" by God, he can no longer fulfill his duties, thus rejecting God's "will" in a way, while knowing it will ultimately be better for the people. If the Pope can wield this logic, maybe I have some faith for the rest of humanity yet.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Nice to see you around again, G. :thumb:

This Pope has been directly implicated in covering up an almost systemic level of child abuse within the Catholic church. Cardinal Ratzinger, as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith*, personally directed the inter-dioceses transfers of priests that had been accused of molesting children to avoid the public embarrassment of civil and criminal proceedings. No one knows more about the breadth and depth of the Church's cover ups in these cases than Pope Benedict. That he was ever elected Pope is equal parts baffling and unsurprising..... which is a difficult trick to pull off, honestly.

*The church body now known as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith this once went by the name Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition. So.... yeah.

Thanks. ;)

Yeah, I don't know if there is something new about to come out about the abuse scandal, or something else altogether, but I just really can't believe that a pope would resign because he didn't feel physically up to it. According to the Catholic religion, the election of a pope is ordained by God, as I understand it (as a lapsed Catholic :) ). It just does not happen that these guys "resign". Of the three who resigned before this, only one was not because of corruption or conflict within the Church, and that was in 1296.

If nothing, the historic significance of this really can't be overstated.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Starting at the begining of Advent in 2011 they changed the English language translation of the Roman Missal.

The Penitential Act also went from "in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do." To the more puritanical "in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grevious fault"

We come to celebrate those seeking the Grace and Forgivness of Christ and yet as a Church community must go through this verbal self-flagellation to get there. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Instead of just skipping over that last part silently I tend to get my most freshman-level drama school interpertation and really put alot of emphasis into it. I figure that is a little better than just a silent protest. Through my fault, through my fault, through my Most Grevious FAULT.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 pm

I heard Ray Lewis and Tim Tebow have submitted their applications.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

Yeah, no.

Earth 2 was worse.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:47 pm

....easier figurehead position ?? Pope or Queen of England. I'll take either if they're available. I look as much like a woman as QE........
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Can I go for King of England? I don't want to have to make the changes that would negate the upside I was looking for.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Like 2 or 3 years ago, they changed a bunch of stuff during mass. I still don't know it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Like 2 or 3 years ago, they changed a bunch of stuff during mass. I still don't know it.

Don't they have you leave after the initial announcements and go downstairs to the youth worship service?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR