Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 am

Today is Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday. Here in the Big Easy, the weather is very overcast (not a hint of blue at all in the sky), about 59 degrees with a 60% chance of rain. Not good for the revellers and float riders today. But no matter what the streets along the parade routes will be packed, as will Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, and the CBD. Also, for those who need to get their daily gambling fix, the casinos will also be packed. Oh, and one more place...the bars. :face: Many of the female set will be showing their breasts of all sizes (and occasionally more) :D along Bourbon Street. Gonna be a fun day, but most will be getting their ashes tomorrow, Ash Wednesday (NO is a very Catholic city). :roll: Yinzers might wanna come down for Mardi Gras sometime.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,643
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am

Yinzers, get aht the deep fryer and get ready to eat some fish sammiches down the fire hall
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,096
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby MSL2 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Pics or it didn't happen. :wink:
MSL2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 am
Location: Iron City

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Someone I know bought a legit king cake from NOLA for 50$ shipped to pittsburgh
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,788
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby skullman80 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm not Catholic, but I love me some Fish Sandwiches from the local firehalls around here. MMMMMM.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby redwill on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Today is Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday. Here in the Big Easy, the weather is very overcast (not a hint of blue at all in the sky), about 59 degrees with a 60% chance of rain. Not good for the revellers and float riders today. But no matter what the streets along the parade routes will be packed, as will Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, and the CBD. Also, for those who need to get their daily gambling fix, the casinos will also be packed. Oh, and one more place...the bars. :face: Many of the female set will be showing their breasts of all sizes (and occasionally more) :D along Bourbon Street. Gonna be a fun day, but most will be getting their ashes tomorrow, Ash Wednesday (NO is a very Catholic city). :roll: Yinzers might wanna come down for Mardi Gras sometime.


It's so silly. If people want to have a blow-out party, then, by all means, they should do it. Have a GREAT time. But don't couch it in religious terms.

It's pretty stupid that people seem to think that they can sin and sin and sin for two weeks yet are somehow sacrificing SO MUCH FOR JESUS by giving up milk chocolate for forty days or not eating red meat for a few Fridays in a row.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,878
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

The first search result for "lenten fish fry" brings up an article about Pittsburgh.

I am not in a very Catholic area and I miss going to these.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,408
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby viva la ben on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 pm

The VLB household will be attending the fish fry at Assumption in Bellevue on Friday evening.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,333
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:16 pm

redwill wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Today is Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday. Here in the Big Easy, the weather is very overcast (not a hint of blue at all in the sky), about 59 degrees with a 60% chance of rain. Not good for the revellers and float riders today. But no matter what the streets along the parade routes will be packed, as will Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, and the CBD. Also, for those who need to get their daily gambling fix, the casinos will also be packed. Oh, and one more place...the bars. :face: Many of the female set will be showing their breasts of all sizes (and occasionally more) :D along Bourbon Street. Gonna be a fun day, but most will be getting their ashes tomorrow, Ash Wednesday (NO is a very Catholic city). :roll: Yinzers might wanna come down for Mardi Gras sometime.


It's so silly. If people want to have a blow-out party, then, by all means, they should do it. Have a GREAT time. But don't couch it in religious terms.

It's pretty stupid that people seem to think that they can sin and sin and sin for two weeks yet are somehow sacrificing SO MUCH FOR JESUS by giving up milk chocolate for forty days or not eating red meat for a few Fridays in a row.

Like posting beer girl pictures or funny gif files helps the Pens score goals.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm

redwill wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Today is Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday. Here in the Big Easy, the weather is very overcast (not a hint of blue at all in the sky), about 59 degrees with a 60% chance of rain. Not good for the revellers and float riders today. But no matter what the streets along the parade routes will be packed, as will Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, and the CBD. Also, for those who need to get their daily gambling fix, the casinos will also be packed. Oh, and one more place...the bars. :face: Many of the female set will be showing their breasts of all sizes (and occasionally more) :D along Bourbon Street. Gonna be a fun day, but most will be getting their ashes tomorrow, Ash Wednesday (NO is a very Catholic city). :roll: Yinzers might wanna come down for Mardi Gras sometime.


It's so silly. If people want to have a blow-out party, then, by all means, they should do it. Have a GREAT time. But don't couch it in religious terms.

It's pretty stupid that people seem to think that they can sin and sin and sin for two weeks yet are somehow sacrificing SO MUCH FOR JESUS by giving up milk chocolate for forty days or not eating red meat for a few Fridays in a row.


There's a HUUUUUGGGEEEE difference between people partying hard on Mardi Gras and people who identify themselves with the Lenten tradition.

It's a similar concept to St. Patrick's Day: It started as a religious celebration (in St. Patrick's case, it is the feast day of the Saint of that name) that people have bastardized into an excuse to drink their asses off, regardless of their affiliation with the religious group(s).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,451
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby redwill on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:There's a HUUUUUGGGEEEE difference between people partying hard on Mardi Gras and people who identify themselves with the Lenten tradition.

It's a similar concept to St. Patrick's Day: It started as a religious celebration (in St. Patrick's case, it is the feast day of the Saint of that name) that people have bastardized into an excuse to drink their asses off, regardless of their affiliation with the religious group(s).


Well, no ****. What a brilliant and illuminating observation.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,878
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 pm

redwill wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:There's a HUUUUUGGGEEEE difference between people partying hard on Mardi Gras and people who identify themselves with the Lenten tradition.

It's a similar concept to St. Patrick's Day: It started as a religious celebration (in St. Patrick's case, it is the feast day of the Saint of that name) that people have bastardized into an excuse to drink their asses off, regardless of their affiliation with the religious group(s).


Well, no ****. What a brilliant and illuminating observation.


Looks like I misinterpreted your original post
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,451
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby redwill on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Nevermind. I apologize. I'm just a bit petulant for no good reason.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,878
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 pm

I've been sick with a cold and fever, only toast and orange juice today. It's been like a "Skinny Tuesday" :(
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,445
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 am

littlemoonboot wrote:I've been sick with a cold and fever, only toast and orange juice today. It's been like a "Skinny Tuesday" :(


Actually I like to call Ash Wednesday "Skinny Wednesday".


BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,643
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 am

MSL2 wrote:Pics or it didn't happen. :wink:


I'll do better than that. How about a video! But keep in mind, this is a "family atmosphere" video from a local TV station. I don't want to violate any forum rules. :pop: I'm sure there are plenty of "raw" videos on cell phones floating around New Orleans today. :wink:


BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,643
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Happy Mardi Gras Yinzers!

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am

redwill wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Today is Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday. Here in the Big Easy, the weather is very overcast (not a hint of blue at all in the sky), about 59 degrees with a 60% chance of rain. Not good for the revellers and float riders today. But no matter what the streets along the parade routes will be packed, as will Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, and the CBD. Also, for those who need to get their daily gambling fix, the casinos will also be packed. Oh, and one more place...the bars. :face: Many of the female set will be showing their breasts of all sizes (and occasionally more) :D along Bourbon Street. Gonna be a fun day, but most will be getting their ashes tomorrow, Ash Wednesday (NO is a very Catholic city). :roll: Yinzers might wanna come down for Mardi Gras sometime.


It's so silly. If people want to have a blow-out party, then, by all means, they should do it. Have a GREAT time. But don't couch it in religious terms.

It's pretty stupid that people seem to think that they can sin and sin and sin for two weeks yet are somehow sacrificing SO MUCH FOR JESUS by giving up milk chocolate for forty days or not eating red meat for a few Fridays in a row.


Actually I inserted the "Catholic city" part simply to show the irony of the whole Mardi Mardi Gras thing.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,643
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OutofFoil, skullman80 and 6 guests


e-mail