Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Rocco wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:What are the odds that McCutchen stops sucking and comes through during the next series when his team needs him more than ever?


I wish I hadn't used the Anne Hathaway eye roll .gif already today.


You can roll your eyes all you damn well want. He's batting .174 over the past week, .238 over the past two weeks, went 0fer against the Reds last weekend, and is batting .230 against the Reds this season. The next four games are the biggest of his life. This team needs him to step up to the plate and play like an MVP.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,526
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Rocco on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:What are the odds that McCutchen stops sucking and comes through during the next series when his team needs him more than ever?


I wish I hadn't used the Anne Hathaway eye roll .gif already today.


You can roll your eyes all you damn well want. He's batting .174 over the past week, .238 over the past two weeks, went 0fer against the Reds last weekend, and is batting .230 against the Reds this season. The next four games are the biggest of his life. This team needs him to step up to the plate and play like an MVP.


He's batting .338/.467/.554 in September (7th best in the NL for players with 75 PA). .346/.445/.566 since the All Star Break (3rd best in the NL for players with 75 PA). He's got the best WAR in the NL in the 2nd half of the year and the 3rd best WAR for this month. Forgive me for not thinking that is a problem.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,776
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby offsides on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:58 pm

ulf wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So is it 100% that the Pirates will host the WC game Tuesday? Time?

Winner of this weekend's series gets home field in the WC game


Talk about a big series. Not that we can't win the WC game on the road, but it sure would be nice to get Cincy in our ball park. I would like our chances a lot better at PNC.

BTW: What's the odds of us sweeping Cincy and the Cubs sweeping the Cards? That way we wouldn't even need a WC game.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,392
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:02 am

Rocco wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:What are the odds that McCutchen stops sucking and comes through during the next series when his team needs him more than ever?


I wish I hadn't used the Anne Hathaway eye roll .gif already today.


You can roll your eyes all you damn well want. He's batting .174 over the past week, .238 over the past two weeks, went 0fer against the Reds last weekend, and is batting .230 against the Reds this season. The next four games are the biggest of his life. This team needs him to step up to the plate and play like an MVP.


He's batting .338/.467/.554 in September (7th best in the NL for players with 75 PA). .346/.445/.566 since the All Star Break (3rd best in the NL for players with 75 PA). He's got the best WAR in the NL in the 2nd half of the year and the 3rd best WAR for this month. Forgive me for not thinking that is a problem.


He's been great since the ASB. He deserves the NL MVP. But is undeniably that he has been mired in a mediocre stretch and has been less than stellar against the Reds in his career. This team needs him to be better in the last 3 games than he was over the previous 2 weeks.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,526
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:02 am

offsides wrote:
ulf wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So is it 100% that the Pirates will host the WC game Tuesday? Time?

Winner of this weekend's series gets home field in the WC game


Talk about a big series. Not that we can't win the WC game on the road, but it sure would be nice to get Cincy in our ball park. I would like our chances a lot better at PNC.

BTW: What's the odds of us sweeping Cincy and the Cubs sweeping the Cards? That way we wouldn't even need a WC game.

Marginally better than the Steelers chances of having an undefeated season this year.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,397
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sunny Brentwood, Tennessee

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 am

So if the Pirates win one of the next three they will be tied with the Reds.

What happens then? Is there a one game playoff, or do the Reds get the 1st WC spot by having a better head-to-head record?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,628
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:50 am

The latter.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,499
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:51 am

Thats why winning yesterday was so crucial. We could have won 1 in Cin and still had a home wild card game. I'm glad Hurdle chose to play Sanchez and Barmes with home field advantage on the line.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,107
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby since1970 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 am

Barmes/Sanchez didn't give up a 3 run shot to once and future DFA Darnell McDonald, and the law firm of McCutchen, Jones, Alvarez went 0 fer. Sanchez is playing the day game after a night game, so he's in there regardless. Barmes and his .179 avg in Sept vs Mercer and his .311 in Sept shouldn't leave you with much of a decision, especially since Mercer is hitting .350 something the last 2 weeks, but I'm not sure Mercer puts them over yesterday.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:09 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Thats why winning yesterday was so crucial. We could have won 1 in Cin and still had a home wild card game. I'm glad Hurdle chose to play Sanchez and Barmes with home field advantage on the line.


I agree with you on Barmes, but lately Sanchez has been no worse than Martin offensively and has caught the majority of Liriano's starts since the beginning of August.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,526
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:10 am

Hurdle doesn't seem to want to embrace the 7 innings Mercer/2 innings Barmes formula.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,277
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Kaizer on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 am

yankees eliminated, thus concludes the only goal i had this year for baseball.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,278
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby since1970 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:18 am

home field for the play in would be nice, but I'm a little more concerned about Hurdle managing a there's no tomorrow game.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 am

since1970 wrote:home field for the play in would be nice, but I'm a little more concerned about Hurdle managing a there's no tomorrow game.


"We need to rest the bullpen for the 5 game series that starts tomorrow...leave him in there for another inning or two."
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,415
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am

Not really sure how you nail this one on Barmes and Sanchez. Can Tabata not play RF? Jones 0-4 and 5 LOB hurt especially when that replaces a usually productive Byrd.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,176
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am

DelPen wrote:Not really sure how you nail this one on Barmes and Sanchez. Can Tabata not play RF? Jones 0-4 and 5 LOB hurt especially when that replaces a usually productive Byrd.


My point was that he rested several regulars and let Jones, Sanchez, Barmes play in a game that could have cemented a home WC game.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,107
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
DelPen wrote:Not really sure how you nail this one on Barmes and Sanchez. Can Tabata not play RF? Jones 0-4 and 5 LOB hurt especially when that replaces a usually productive Byrd.


My point was that he rested several regulars and let Jones, Sanchez, Barmes play in a game that could have cemented a home WC game.


I wouldn't say Barmes and Sanchez were unusual starts. Resting Martin made sense. Barmes has played 106 games vs Mercer's 102 so pick your poison there.

And even with Jones, he's not that unusual to play either before Byrd. This would have been a normal lineup in June. Besides, If you need to rely on those three to get a win vs the Cubs then you have other problems in your lineup that are not pulling through.

The whole series had way too many popups and runners left on base from just about everyone.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,176
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 am

DelPen wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
DelPen wrote:Not really sure how you nail this one on Barmes and Sanchez. Can Tabata not play RF? Jones 0-4 and 5 LOB hurt especially when that replaces a usually productive Byrd.


My point was that he rested several regulars and let Jones, Sanchez, Barmes play in a game that could have cemented a home WC game.


I wouldn't say Barmes and Sanchez were unusual starts. Resting Martin made sense. Barmes has played 106 games vs Mercer's 102 so pick your poison there.

And even with Jones, he's not that unusual to play either before Byrd. This would have been a normal lineup in June. Besides, If you need to rely on those three to get a win vs the Cubs then you have other problems in your lineup that are not pulling through.

The whole series had way too many popups and runners left on base from just about everyone.



4 of the 8 starters yesterday not including the pitcher are hitting under .235 I can see giving a guy or two a rest, but it looked a lot like Hurdle said let's put the Sunday lineup out there. All I am saying is with home field in the WC game on the line it was very odd.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,107
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Rocco on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:53 pm

since1970 wrote:home field for the play in would be nice, but I'm a little more concerned about Hurdle managing a there's no tomorrow game.


He'll be managing against Dusty Baker. Advantage Hurdle, though not by much.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,776
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Rocco wrote:
since1970 wrote:home field for the play in would be nice, but I'm a little more concerned about Hurdle managing a there's no tomorrow game.


He'll be managing against Dusty Baker. Advantage Hurdle, though not by much.


In a 1 game playoff I guarantee McCutchen gets hit.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,107
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby since1970 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Rocco wrote:
since1970 wrote:home field for the play in would be nice, but I'm a little more concerned about Hurdle managing a there's no tomorrow game.


He'll be managing against Dusty Baker. Advantage Hurdle, though not by much.


In a 1 game playoff I guarantee McCutchen gets hit.


brings up a question, if guys get "accidently" hit this series will the league carry over any warnings to the WC game ?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Are there series long warnings?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,955
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby since1970 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:35 pm

I think there have been warnings to the effect that the league is going to be keeping an eye on both teams an entire series based on recent history
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby CERV96 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Strange having an off day. Seems like there hasn't been one in forever.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,622
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Ad@m on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Pitching matchups:

Fri: Burnett vs Bailey
Sat: Morton vs Arroyo
Sun: Cole vs Cueto
WC : Liriano vs ??? Latos or Leake
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eismann, KennyTheKangaroo, Loaf31, meow, stopper40 and 12 guests

e-mail