Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:16 pm

On the bright side, I started Wade Miley today.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby schreibdog on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Had to shut it off. I couldn't stand Sanchez's love for 3-ball counts anymore.

Just saw they yanked him after 3.1 innings. His ERA is now a cool 12.96. And his is lower than Leroux's right now (13.5)
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby schreibdog on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Also, good thing we got that extra option on Morris so we could send him down to AAA to waste time and let some bum like Leroux make the bullpen.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 pm

I say we blame Juan Cruz for today and move on.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Sanchez being on the roster is why I find myself actively rooting against the Pirates this season. Don't tell me that you sent Cole down because he had things to work on and then follow it up by saying Sanchez earned his spot in the rotation. You can at least pretend like you have a commitment to winning.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Sanchez being on the roster is why I find myself actively rooting against the Pirates this season. Don't tell me that you sent Cole down because he had things to work on and then follow it up by saying Sanchez earned his spot in the rotation. You can at least pretend like you have a commitment to winning.

It's not Cole vs. Sanchez. It's Cole vs. himself.

1) they want to make sure he's ready - there's no reason to rush him
2) he had very few innings in AAA last year - a few more will only help him
3) why not just wait until June for service time purposes? - there's no reason to rush him
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Gerrit gave up 3 runs on 5 hits in 4 innings in his first AAA start this season... obviously it's only one, but it's not like the league's a joke for him. There's no reason to rush him
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Rocco wrote:I say we blame Juan Cruz for today and move on.

Agreed. Was way more pissed at the other 5 losses than this one.

I'm going to blame Chad Qualls though, naturally
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Does anyone remember that season when Juan Cruz was randomly really good? Or would that just be braves fans?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Sanchez being on the roster is why I find myself actively rooting against the Pirates this season. Don't tell me that you sent Cole down because he had things to work on and then follow it up by saying Sanchez earned his spot in the rotation. You can at least pretend like you have a commitment to winning.

It's not Cole vs. Sanchez. It's Cole vs. himself.

1) they want to make sure he's ready - there's no reason to rush him
2) he had very few innings in AAA last year - a few more will only help him
3) why not just wait until June for service time purposes? - there's no reason to rush him

The Pirates decision with Cole wasn't my point. I think he needs more time in AAA and has some thinks to work on. My point was don't tell me that Cole is going to AAA because he has some things to work on and then tell me that Sanchez "earned" his spot in the lineup despite a horrible previous season, a horrible spring, and really just sucking. Sanchez has no business making the roster, even if he was only competing against himself.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:25 pm

I can't believe there are people still mad that Cole didn't make the team...how hard is it to understand that a whole extra year on his contract is worth waiting 2 months to bring him up?

Now, I do disagree with Sanchez even being in the rotation, would have rather seen McPherson or even Justin Wilson (Bryan Morris could have had his pen spot? Don't really understand why Morris didn't make the bullpen to begin with) get that rotation spot. We all knew Sanchez was going to do something like this sooner rather than later. But being mad at Sanchez because he's here instead of Cole isn't the right reason to be mad he's here.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:I can't believe there are people still mad that Cole didn't make the team...how hard is it to understand that a whole extra year on his contract is worth waiting 2 months to bring him up?

It's seems like rational asset management.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Sanchez earned the spot in the rotation in the sense that no one pitched well enough to take it in spring training.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:48 pm

What do you guys expect? Karstens, Morton and Liriano are hurt. We had 3 guys battling for pretty much the 7th and 8th spots. I'd love to have 8 solid starters, but that's not all that realistic.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 pm

ulf wrote:What do you guys expect? Karstens, Morton and Liriano are hurt. We had 3 guys battling for pretty much the 7th and 8th spots. I'd love to have 8 solid starters, but that's not all that realistic.

I'd expect that Sanchez and Gomez get stuffed on a rocket into outer space as soon as 2 of those 3 pitchers you mentioned are healthy enough to return and/or the Pirates decide Morris, Irwin and McPherson should be up. I'm not upset that Sanchez made the team because, well, none of the young pitchers pitched well enough in spring to take the job, and the Pirates weren't going to discard a player if it could be avoided. I'm more upset that those players didn't grab the opportunity and spare us from having to watch Sanchez impersonate a major leaguer.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 pm

I was fine with Sanchez. He had one OK start, one horrible one. Let's give him 2 or 3 more before we lose our minds. If he has a couple more OK starts then that's fine... until we get our guys back
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 am

ulf wrote:What do you guys expect? Karstens, Morton and Liriano are hurt. We had 3 guys battling for pretty much the 7th and 8th spots. I'd love to have 8 solid starters, but that's not all that realistic.

Yeah, it's not as if the guy was Plan A. Or Plan B. Or Plan C.

As far as Cole goes, it's only been two starts this season, but he's proving he belongs in AAA at the moment.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 am

pfim wrote:

As far as Cole goes, it's only been two starts this season, but he's proving he belongs in AAA at the moment.

That doesn't really preclude him from being one of the best 3 pitchers in the organization.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
pfim wrote:

That doesn't really preclude him from being one of the best 3 pitchers in the organization.

Certainly it doesn't. That's not really the point though.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 am

I know, I was in support of him getting sent down, it just seemed like a good time to take a shot at the rotation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 am

I dont cant get behind the Gerritt Cole excitement. He hasn't done anything in the minors that makes me think he is ready for the majors. Pirates are notorious for labeling players in their system and once again they've got it wrong with Cole.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

I dont cant get behind the Gerritt Cole excitement. He hasn't done anything in the minors that makes me think he is ready for the majors. Pirates are notorious for labeling players in their system and once again they've got it wrong with Cole.

He's done plenty to get excited about in his one year. He's a top 10 prospect in baseball, it has little to do with how the Pirates view him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 am

pfim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

He's done plenty to get excited about in his one year. He's a top 10 prospect in baseball, it has little to do with how the Pirates view him.

Yep. I agree here. I can't wait until they actually bring him up and let him take a shot at the big leagues. He has to be better than what we threw out there yesterday.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 am

Yeah, having a slow start means nothing. Cole hasn't done anything to hurt his status as a top MLB prospect, its just early to be crowning him a MLB player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR