Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah, no. They've already said that has nothing to do with AJ.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:19 pm

canaan wrote:
Its interesting that you point towards Burnett as the stability, but he was the wild card for instability in the playoffs.

Terrible playoffs? Absolutely! Not talking about that. A.J. had career numbers in a bunch of catagories even led the team in some of those as well despite the record. Remember when things were falling apart at the end of the season vs the Reds when Lariano pitched a gem and the game was blown in the 9th? AJ came out the next night and shut the door against Baily. Then did the same the week later against Baily in the final series. A big part of that giant party of a wild card game at home we had was because of those performances. Don't let his final flop of a performance in the playoffs shutter what the guy has done.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:19 pm

What he's done is regress as the season wore on for two straight seasons. I still want him back, but not at a number anywhere close to what he could get from another team. Let somebody else pay for past performance
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 am

ulf wrote:Yeah, no. They've already said that has nothing to do with AJ.

They've said alot of things....
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 am

Mr. Colby wrote:What he's done is regress as the season wore on for two straight seasons. I still want him back, but not at a number anywhere close to what he could get from another team. Let somebody else pay for past performance

You might want to check his numbers. Most were career highs and even lead the team in some of those catagories. Guys his age or older and are putting up less numbers and are or will be making more than what the Pirates will probably offer him. It's just up to him weather or not he feels the offer is reasonable enough to stay. Don't knock the guy because Hurdle kept him in too long or the pirates didn't hit for him.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
ulf wrote:lol let's wait till he actually goes elsewhere before railing management

They shelled out the money to Volquez, they arent paying Burnett too.

child please, $5 million for a starting pitcher is nothing in today's mlb.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 pm

The fan was entertaining calls from some confused pirate fans this morning. One guy suggested using tony sanchez at 1B to platoon with Gaby Sanchez. One of of the astute hosts pointed out that Sanchez is right handed...as though that's the reason this idea wouldn't be implemented.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Tony Sanchez should be firmly entrenched as the #2 catcher with eyes on taking over next season. I really like what he brings to the team.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 pm

maybe, but what are your thoughts about using him at 1B?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 pm

canaan wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Letting McKenry, Byrd(not worth the $ he signed for) and Jones walk were the right moves. Letting Morneau(who fills the void for a cheap price he signed for and can still somewhat contribute) and AJ(pitching stability) walk just upsets me as a paying customer and a fan. I feel with the season they had last year the iron is hot. As of right now I think it is already cooling down.

morneau wanted to go to Colorado and has friends there. His mind was made up before the season ended, in my opinion.

also, Its interesting that you point towards Burnett as the stability, but he was the wild card for instability in the playoffs. Either way, if Burnett wants to sign a market friendly deal to still be here, he will. He wants to be "pirate til retirement" guy but doesn't want to take a deserved pay cut to do so.

Yeah, Morneau had 0 chance of signing here after the season. He was either bound for Colorado or wanted to go back to Minnesota. I'm not too sure what management could have done there.

AJ...that's still up in the air. What Canaan said is pretty accurate.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 pm

AJ isn't worth the $14+ million that he probably was expecting on a 1 year deal. I don't think they will miss his pitching, but they might miss his leadership. Someone has to step up and be the emotional leader for this team.

If he can come back on an $8-10 million dollar deal, then that would be best for all involved.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 am

At Piratefest, a fan was quoted as telling Dopey Opie that he was their idol lol. Rocco, was that you?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Crankshaft wrote:AJ isn't worth the $14+ million that he probably was expecting on a 1 year deal. I don't think they will miss his pitching, but they might miss his leadership. Someone has to step up and be the emotional leader for this team.

If he can come back on an $8-10 million dollar deal, then that would be best for all involved.

The Pirates have gave Volquez $5M and said they could still bring back AJ. If that is the case why didnt they just give AJ the $14.1M instead of the likely $8-$10M low ball?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:31 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:AJ isn't worth the $14+ million that he probably was expecting on a 1 year deal. I don't think they will miss his pitching, but they might miss his leadership. Someone has to step up and be the emotional leader for this team.

The Pirates have gave Volquez $5M and said they could still bring back AJ. If that is the case why didnt they just give AJ the $14.1M instead of the likely $8-$10M low ball?

Because they would rather have AJ at the value he deserves AND Volquez instead of having just an overpaid AJ.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:32 pm

I love arguments based on made up numbers
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Because they would rather have AJ at the value he deserves AND Volquez instead of having just an overpaid AJ.

By all indications the market value for AJ is around the 14M he is asking. The way this is going to play out is they arent going to sign AJ and they are going to have paid Volquez $5M and he will be a bust. I would prefer paying market value for a guy who has put up solid numbers.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Wait what are all indications? How do we know he is asking for 14 mil? How do we know they offered 8-10? This is awesome
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 pm

ulf wrote:Wait what are all indications? How do we know he is asking for 14 mil? How do we know they offered 8-10? This is awesome

This is what I've heard. The Pirates PR machine said the day of the Byrd signing that they were outbid by Phillies, then a week later it came out that they never made an offer. Take what you hear from the Pirates with a grain of salt.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 pm

When faced with the proposition of Gaby Sanchez as an every day first baseman, or a platoon of Sanchez and some scrap heap pick up, I would have gladly matched the 2 year, $12.5 million deal Morneau signed with the Rockies.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:13 pm

ville5 wrote:At Piratefest, a fan was quoted as telling Dopey Opie that he was their idol lol. Rocco, was that you?

I was looking for you there wearing the "Joe Saunders Fan Club" t-shirt.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:When faced with the proposition of Gaby Sanchez as an every day first baseman, or a platoon of Sanchez and some scrap heap pick up, I would have gladly matched the 2 year, $12.5 million deal Morneau signed with the Rockies.

Morneau hasn't had an OPS over .800 since 2010. There's a decent chance that lighting the money on fire would be a better investment than Morneau at this point.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Rocco wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:When faced with the proposition of Gaby Sanchez as an every day first baseman, or a platoon of Sanchez and some scrap heap pick up, I would have gladly matched the 2 year, $12.5 million deal Morneau signed with the Rockies.

Morneau hasn't had an OPS over .800 since 2010. There's a decent chance that lighting the money on fire would be a better investment than Morneau at this point.

I'll take Morneau over Moreland or Ike Davis, whom the Pirates have been linked to.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:57 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
ulf wrote:Wait what are all indications? How do we know he is asking for 14 mil? How do we know they offered 8-10? This is awesome

This is what I've heard. The Pirates PR machine said the day of the Byrd signing that they were outbid by Phillies, then a week later it came out that they never made an offer. Take what you hear from the Pirates with a grain of salt.

Well let us know when your sources give you any other news. Curious if they're keeping the pirates charities sign or not
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Jose Veras signed for 1 year and $4 million with the cubs, which is $1 million less than what Volquez got with the pirates

We need to stop acting like this deal is something that really handcuffs the pirates. its not.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Rocco wrote:

I'll take Morneau over Moreland or Ike Davis, whom the Pirates have been linked to.

At this point Morneau isn't much of an upgrade over Moreland if at all. Ike Davis hit 32 homers in 2012; Morneau has 36 homers combined over the last two years. He at least offers the hope that he gets himself back together.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR