Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Rocco on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

http://www.whygavs.com/pittsburgh-pirat ... balls.html

The reason that Cole dominated down the stretch is that his four-seam fastball looks a lot like his two-seam fastball and his two-seamer kind of looks like his changeup and his changeup masks his slider really nicely and it's not really terribly easy to draw a line or distinction between his slider and his curveball, but all five of those pitches are different enough that if you can't find some way to distinguish between them, you probably aren't going to find a way to get a hit off of Cole.

There's a really cool graph (among many great graphs, for those of us who like graphs and pictures) in the article that shows how Cole's release point never changes, but when I tried to post it the picture was too large and half of it was cut off. Perhaps some day we will be able to resize images here. Also seems to point out that the Pirates are trying to get their pitchers to develop curves as their breaking pitch.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 am

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/01 ... .html?wt=4

2 of those 6 will probably be up by midseason.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:12 pm

http://mlb.si.com/2014/01/24/winter-rep ... ti-reds-2/

The Reds get raked over the coals in their offseason report card. Basically, expecting Hamilton to replace Choo is a huge net downgrade, selling low on Hanigan is a bad decision, chasing Ludwick's recent outlier statline and big injury question marks will be expected to replace Arroyo's rotation spot.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 pm

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8877442/v3 ... -mvp-award
Cutch receives his MVP award. Mariano Rivera looks like a robot on his left and whoever it is on his right is creepy.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:52 pm

pittsports87 wrote:http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8877442/v31323023/andrew-mccutchen-accepts-the-2013-nl-mvp-award
Cutch receives his MVP award. Mariano Rivera looks like a robot on his left and whoever it is on his right is creepy.

Could they squish the people in anymore at that table? Looks uncomfortable...haha.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:46 am

those squares should learn how to tie a bow tie and stop looking like a schmuck with fake bow ties on
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:50 am

Rocco wrote:http://www.whygavs.com/pittsburgh-pirates/january-2014/gerrit-cole-and-curveballs.html

The reason that Cole dominated down the stretch is that his four-seam fastball looks a lot like his two-seam fastball and his two-seamer kind of looks like his changeup and his changeup masks his slider really nicely and it's not really terribly easy to draw a line or distinction between his slider and his curveball, but all five of those pitches are different enough that if you can't find some way to distinguish between them, you probably aren't going to find a way to get a hit off of Cole.

There's a really cool graph (among many great graphs, for those of us who like graphs and pictures) in the article that shows how Cole's release point never changes, but when I tried to post it the picture was too large and half of it was cut off. Perhaps some day we will be able to resize images here. Also seems to point out that the Pirates are trying to get their pitchers to develop curves as their breaking pitch.

Really cool article. I wish I kept up with whygavs more than I do.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey look, another Twitter campaign for Cutch
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 pm

Pittsburgh loves web campaigns. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm

The Face of Baseball is Arod.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/ ... nkings-mlb

Pirates are 3rd. They'll probably drop next year when Taillon and Polanco graduate...but they didn't drop this year with Cole graduating.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm

I was listening to the AL Central prospects BA podcast, the Twins system has a lot of depth.

Those teams have next to nothing at the ML level. Can't access ESPN insider, but I'll guess that the Red Sox and Cubs round out the top 5. Then Cardinals and Rangers.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Im always amused that the braves are never near the top of these lists. Then i look back and am even more amused. Best development system in baseball.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:24 pm

I'd give that to the Cards.

Not that I disagree that they're up there at all, but it is ironic the one super prospect they had (Heyward) hasn't really progressed.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby schreibdog on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Per Travis Sawchik of the Trib, Burnett will pitch this season, might not be in Pittsburgh
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Hopefully he fully intends to pitch in Pittsburgh but doesn't want to flat out say it and get low-balled.

If he goes somewhere else and we didn't give him a QO, that's bad asset management.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Hopefully he fully intends to pitch in Pittsburgh but doesn't want to flat out say it and get low-balled.

If he goes somewhere else and we didn't give him a QO, that's bad asset management.

ehhh I think it would be more of aj being a hartnell than bad asset management. He's not worth 14 mil.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:06 pm

schreibdog wrote:Per Travis Sawchik of the Trib, Burnett will pitch this season, might not be in Pittsburgh

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:25 pm

ulf wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Hopefully he fully intends to pitch in Pittsburgh but doesn't want to flat out say it and get low-balled.

ehhh I think it would be more of aj being a hartnell than bad asset management. He's not worth 14 mil.

True. He shouldn't have a problem getting at least that though.

I wonder if he would have accepted the 14.1 million by the QO deadline, or if we would have still been where we are now?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:26 pm

ulf wrote:

Its horrible asset management. He's easily worth more than 14 million and I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
ulf wrote:

Its horrible asset management. He's easily worth more than 14 million and I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

There's a difference between what you're WORTH and what you CAN GET.

Hell no AJ isn't WORTH 14 million. And the Pirates should not be paying him what he CAN GET. That's not the model that got them to where they are. They can't pay for past performance.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
ulf wrote:

True. He shouldn't have a problem getting at least that though.

I wonder if he would have accepted the 14.1 million by the QO deadline, or if we would have still been where we are now?

He could probably get a desperate team to give him more than that.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm

This news isn't even remotely surprising. When the Pirates refused to give a qualifying offer, it was just a matter of time before it bit them in the ass. Burnett at 14 Million is a bargain and if you think that's too much then you just don't get how high salaries are going in baseball. Burnett will easily get 15 million per season and could go as high as 20 million per.

The Pirates had their chance to get the heart and soul of their rotation for 14 million. Now, they will get nothing.

Sucks...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Let some other team pay that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Both the Phillies and the O's have been pretty desperate
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR