Jack Nicholson puts the moves on Jennifer Lawrence

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jack Nicholson puts the moves on Jennifer Lawrence

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm

All this thread is missing now is Sarcastic pointing out some of her flaws, saying she really isn't that good looking, and sending us links to some models in Russia who we've never heard of, but look similar to her only better.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm

That really made me laugh.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Winter's Bone.

Huh-huh, I said....
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm

mac5155 wrote:All this thread is missing now is Sarcastic pointing out some of her flaws, saying she really isn't that good looking, and sending us links to some models in Russia who we've never heard of, but look similar to her only better.

actually, every thread, even ones that dont even involve discussions of women, are missing that quirk about the poster known as sarcastic.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:49 pm

eddysnake wrote:
shmenguin wrote:1) i refuse to believe that silver linings playbook was any kind of great movie.
2) i refuse to ever watch it.

i understand #2's doesn't mesh with #1, but that's what we're dealing with here.

what about it makes you believe it won't be any good? I remember when I refused to watch Titanic, lasted 15 years, finally watched it recently, not sure why I protested now.

titanic had an incredible setting and a good premise. just kind of meh execution. this movie seems like the opposite. absolutely nothing compelling about the premise - like seriously, nothing. but it was executed well by the players involved.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Maybe it's my indifference, or maybe it was the marketing, but all I know about this movie is that Bradley Cooper is a middle aged dude with mental health problems, and he has a relationship with a girl half his age, who also has mental health issues, and then they go to a dance lesson with Chris Tucker (at least I think that's Chris Tucker) and Robert Deniro is in it, and they like the eagles. Is that pretty much what it is?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Froggy wrote:Maybe it's my indifference, or maybe it was the marketing, but all I know about this movie is that Bradley Cooper is a middle aged dude with mental health problems, and he has a relationship with a girl half his age, who also has mental health issues, and then they go to a dance lesson with Chris Tucker (at least I think that's Chris Tucker) and Robert Deniro is in it, and they like the eagles. Is that pretty much what it is?

If this is the case, then I really have no interest in seeing it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm not saying that's what it is. My point is more I have no effing clue what this movie is about
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 pm

i mean...really, how different is it from this turd, conceptually?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm

there is a lot of "i havent seen the movie she won an oscar for, but ill denigrate anyway" going on in this thread. just because someone wasnt great in the movies you've seen them in, doesnt mean they arent good actors. de niro has his share of crap films and performances. and dont take this as comparing the two, just an observation. i havent seen the movie she won an award for, but im not gonna beat my chest with an ignorant viewpoint.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Froggy wrote:Maybe it's my indifference, or maybe it was the marketing, but all I know about this movie is that Bradley Cooper is a middle aged dude with mental health problems, and he has a relationship with a girl half his age, who also has mental health issues, and then they go to a dance lesson with Chris Tucker (at least I think that's Chris Tucker) and Robert Deniro is in it, and they like the eagles. Is that pretty much what it is?

you can make this kind of condescending synopsis about every film ever made. its a silly way to base an opinion on a film and one's acting chops.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:00 pm

canaan wrote:there is a lot of "i havent seen the movie she won an oscar for, but ill denigrate anyway" going on in this thread. just because someone wasnt great in the movies you've seen them in, doesnt mean they arent good actors. de niro has his share of crap films and performances. and dont take this as comparing the two, just an observation. i havent seen the movie she won an award for, but im not gonna beat my chest with an ignorant viewpoint.

i think her "critics" have been pretty fair actually. it's been more of a "hey, maybe she's good in this movie, but i have my doubts based on past evidence" vibe than anything.

and i'll stay content in my unreasonable ignorance and continue to call silver linings playbook a turd ferguson of an oscar nominee without seeing it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:01 pm

The point of that post was more "I don't know what the hell this movie is about because the marketing sucked" but fair point.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm most certainly going to see it. Good for her, she's a 22 year old woman that has already won the Best Actress Oscar. I'm more than willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she deserved being nominated for and winning an Academy Award, and that it wasn't handed to her for other reasons.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

she was baaaad in xmen, but solid in the hunger games. and then she won an oscar. seems like progression to me, but i'm kind of on board the j-law train. my only beef is with the legitimacy of that movie.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:
canaan wrote:there is a lot of "i havent seen the movie she won an oscar for, but ill denigrate anyway" going on in this thread. just because someone wasnt great in the movies you've seen them in, doesnt mean they arent good actors. de niro has his share of crap films and performances. and dont take this as comparing the two, just an observation. i havent seen the movie she won an award for, but im not gonna beat my chest with an ignorant viewpoint.

i think her "critics" have been pretty fair actually. it's been more of a "hey, maybe she's good in this movie, but i have my doubts based on past evidence" vibe than anything.

and i'll stay content in my unreasonable ignorance and continue to call silver linings playbook a turd ferguson of an oscar nominee without seeing it.

Soo.... any type of movie that falls somewhere under the "romantic comedy" genre, even a bit, is exactly the same and they all suck horribly?
Last edited by meecrofilm on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:09 pm

shmenguin wrote:she was baaaad in xmen, but solid in the hunger games. and then she won an oscar. seems like progression to me, but i'm kind of on board the j-law train. my only beef is with the legitimacy of that movie.

She was actually nominated for an oscar before she was bad in X-men. Ebb and flow of a career.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:09 pm

I think you should get someone to slap your face and then read that post again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm sure she deserved it, and she is probably really good in the movie. The only point I personally was trying to make (if I was even trying to make a point) is that it doesn't seem like a movie I'd want to see based on what little I know from being aware it exists and seeing a trailer for it like 5 months ago.

Also, in past performances I have seen featuring Jennifer Lawrence, she was at her absolute best, sort of bland. Nowhere did I make any statement on the objective qualify of the movie itself, or the performances in it. It just doesn't interest me. But I like weird movies, so take that for what it's worth.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Soo.... any type of movie that falls somewhere under the "romantic comedy" genre, even a bit, is exactly the same and they all suck horribly?

being an illegitimate oscar nominee and sucking horribly are 2 different things. i don't think Rom Coms, or simple Rom Drams (is that a term?) should be part of that oscar arena. i mean...i don't really lose sleep over awards shows, but something about this movie is touching a nerve for some reason.
Last edited by shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm

columbia wrote:That really made me laugh.

Jack is getting old~ but he is cool and J Lawrence's sincere reaction was funnier! 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Just throwing this out there:

A Los Angeles Times study found that academy voters are markedly less diverse than the moviegoing public, and even more monolithic than many in the film industry may suspect. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and 77% male, The Times found. Blacks are about 2% of the academy, and Latinos are less than 2%.

Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I think you should get someone to slap your face and then read that post again.

....Ok? I'm aware there was nothing anti-Jennifer Lawrence in the post I was quoting, just pointing something out....
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm

So you're saying she won because she was white. Racism.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I think you should get someone to slap your face and then read that post again.

....Ok? I'm aware there was nothing anti-Jennifer Lawrence in the post I was quoting, just pointing something out....

There was also nothing said about Romantic Comedies in that post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR