Test Drove the Scion Fr-s today...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Test Drove the Scion Fr-s today...

Postby Bioshock on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Okay, i have a question. My driveway has a curb at the entrance and i'm suddenly wondering if the Fr-s can even go over this curb.

The specs say the Fr-s has 4.9 inches of clearance while the Tc (What i'm currently driving) has 5.2 inches of clearance. What i don't understand is those numbers though. I measured on my Tc from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper where the guard is and i measured nearly 8 inches and on the Fr-s i measured 6.25 inches.

Where are they getting these number on the specification for these two vehicles?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Measure from the oil pan, transmission, or lowest point under the body.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:10 pm

mac5155 wrote:Measure from the oil pan, transmission, or lowest point under the body.

Alright...

Far more worried about the front bumper though since it protrudes so much farther than the tC.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Well naturally yes,, but try to drive without an oil pan compared to a bumper..lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

mac5155 wrote:Well naturally yes,, but try to drive without an oil pan compared to a bumper..lol

Haha, you're correct. I am gonna need to check that out. Maybe the bumper on the Fr-s is just that much lower than the bumper on the tC and yet they are nearly equal at their lowest point, wherever that may be...

I don't think i'm gonna be able to know until i actually bring the car to my driveway though.

Is there anything you can buy or make that you can give a curb a more gradual incline to it?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Bioshock wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Is that the Subaru version of the same car?

Also, as an aside, LGP needs a car-lovers thread

The Subaru version (BRZ) is the same version as the Fr-s. When you pop the hood of the Fr-s, it literally says Subaru on the engine.

The BRZ and Fr-s were a joint effort by Toyota and Subaru. Also, it sounds a behaves nothing like a 4 cylinder car. Lot of fun.

They tested the Toyota and Subaru on "Top Gear" (UK) a couple weeks ago. Their verdict? "Rejoice! Subaru has heralded the return of the genuine driver's coupe. Buy one. Immediately."

They use Prius tires, so the rear end will step out pretty easily. (design choice, to make the car more 'exuberant') It means it won't corner particularly well, but you'll be sideways at like 30 mph. So it's still a ton of of fun to drive (apparently).

MRandall25 wrote:New Ferrari :thumb:

La Ferrari

It's called...... La Ferrari.

:face:

That's like building the ultimate fighter aircraft and called it "the plane".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Doesn't distract me from how awesome it looks ;)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am

Lamborghini Veneno > everything

And I'm a ferrari guy
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:12 am

the veneno is stupid
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Top Gear UK reviewed this car a few weeks ago (episode 3)

I suggest you find the torrent for it.

Talk about how slippery the car is (Toyota sticks Prius tires on it). The engine is mounted low, lowering the center of gravity. Demonstrated how you can kick the backend out at just 30 mph.

0-60 is not 6 seconds, it's 7.7 seconds. Dunno if the salesman was trying to pull one on you there.

I would buy these things used, I'd imagine they'll run forever, seeing as they don't have turbos. $33,000-$35,000 new isn't worth it.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 am

Firebird wrote:Top Gear UK reviewed this car a few weeks ago (episode 3)

Talk about how slippery the car is (Toyota sticks Prius tires on it). The engine is mounted low, lowering the center of gravity. Demonstrated how you can kick the backend out at just 30 mph.

0-60 is not 6 seconds, it's 7.7 seconds. Dunno if the salesman was trying to pull one on you there.

I would buy these things used, I'd imagine they'll run forever, seeing as they don't have turbos. $33,000-$35,000 new isn't worth it.

It's 6.2 seconds according to Motortrend. I drove it and the car stuck like glue around a bend at 80 mph. Also, the car was 24,900. Not 33K.

Also, an STI model and a TRD model are coming out in 2013. 280 to 305 HP from what i hear.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Firebird on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Bioshock wrote:
Firebird wrote:Top Gear UK reviewed this car a few weeks ago (episode 3)

It's 6.2 seconds according to Motortrend. I drove it and the car stuck like glue around a bend at 80 mph. Also, the car was 24,900. Not 33K.

Also, an STI model and a TRD model are coming out in 2013. 280 to 305 HP from what i hear.

What did Scion do w/ it? The Subaru and Toyota were mentioned as 25,000 quid and the US Toyota website had it above $30k
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR