Grilling/Smoking

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Grilling/Smoking

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Forgive me if this should fall into the "Fellow cooks" thread, but I feel this is a separate topic worthy of its own conversation.

With that said, who here is into grilling and smoking? I've always loved cooking on my propane grill, and still do, but find cooking with charcoal to be more satisfying. To take it a step further, I love using my charcoal barrel smoker to slow cook ribs, brisket, etc.

What do you like to cook? Any recipes out there? How about tips/techniques?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Grilling/Smoking

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:46 pm

I love slow cooked ribs, brisket, and especially pulled pork. How hard is it to get into that?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

You can get a smoker for about $150 from Cabela's. It's cheap to do too.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

I use a gas grill for the standards, burgers, dogs, chicken. My new toy is a stove top smoker that is great. It doesn't fill the house with smoke despite what online reviews say.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

I've never done pulled pork on the grill or smoker. That said, I generally slow cook my baby back ribs. I recently cooked my first brisket, starting the process in a slow cooker inside, then transferring it to my charcoal smoker for the final four hours of cooking. It turned out perfect.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 pm

jimjom wrote:I use a gas grill for the standards, burgers, dogs, chicken. My new toy is a stove top smoker that is great. It doesn't fill the house with smoke despite what online reviews say.

Really tempted to try this at my apartment then.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 pm

We have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and it's great, that is until for some reason it keeps tripping my outlet, probably wet. But this thing makes BBQ as good or better than any restaurant.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 pm

beer can chicken in a smoker is great.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I bought a smoker once and couldn't stand to use it. I ended up using the Alton Brown smoker method...

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2008/07/05/the-alton-brown-flower-pot-smoker/
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby jimjom on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
jimjom wrote:I use a gas grill for the standards, burgers, dogs, chicken. My new toy is a stove top smoker that is great. It doesn't fill the house with smoke despite what online reviews say.

Really tempted to try this at my apartment then.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-10309264-32.html

This is the model I use (was a wedding gift). I have an electric stove so it's a little easier to regulate the temperature. The key is to maintain that 225-250 degree range and not use too many wood chips (can overpower food) or open the dome until you're done cooking to maintain even temperature. Can't recommend this product enough. Easy to clean as well.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 pm

just get a weber smokey mountain and be done!

I cook in it all the time, from a quick chicken, to slow ribs to long and slow pulled pork and briskett.

Fresh homemade Italian sausage is great also! Provides a nice snack while the briskett is still finishing.

For anyone new to smoking or grilling check out amazingribs.com (or something like that) its a great source of a lot of info.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

I have the same fancy smoker as delpen, but I've only used it for pulled pork so far. I'm intimidated by other meats. I'd love to try doing ribs.

What's everyone's rib smoking technique?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:beer can chicken in a smoker is great.

I remember the first time I saw beer can chicken. I seriously laughed at that poor chicken with the can shoved up it's... well... in the end, the joke was on me since it was delicious tasting chicken. :slug:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MWB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I use a Weber propane for most of my grilling since it's quick and easy. I cook most meats and lots of veggies on that. Did our turkey on it for Thanksgiving and it turned out really well. Have done wings on it many times. However, I also have a Weber charcoal that I prefer. Such great flavor, especially for steaks. Also have a small charcoal smoker. I've done pulled pork, brisket, and ribs on that. Love to grill. It's the only kind of cooking I can do with some level of success.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

From probably May to around October or November, just about everything I eat comes off my grill. I have a Huntington Rebel grill I purchased from Cabela’s. Huntington is a value brand made by Broil King, which is sort of the Canadian equivalent of Weber. It’s a fairly no-frills four-burner grill that offers a big grilling area.

I do a lot of indirect cooking, which is where the meat is placed over unlit burners and convection heating is relied upon for cooking. It’s basically oven cooking on the grill. Indirect cooking makes it much easier to cook stuff like bone-in chicken where direct heat can be burning the outside before the inside is cooked. I’m particularly fond of country-style ribs cooked that way.

In terms of recipes and tips, I heartily recommend BBQ USA, Planet Barbecue!, and Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes, all by Steven Raichlen. In particular, the recipes in Planet Barbecue! can serve as a nice change of pace from American recipes. For example, there’s a recipe in there I really like for (I think Thai) chicken marinated in fish sauce, soy sauce, and cilantro. I keep coming back to that one over and over.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Where is the heat generated from if the burner is off? Another unused burner?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

mac5155 wrote:Where is the heat generated from if the burner is off? Another unused burner?

Yes. For example, mine has three burners. For indirect cooking I'll have the back burner on and the two front burners off. The meat goes over the front two. Or for smaller things ill have the front and back on and leave the middle off, with meat over the middle.

You can do the same with charcoal by just stacking the coals on either side and cooking the meat in the middle.
Last edited by MWB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Interesting. I have never cooked like that.. I grill a ton of stuff though. In the summer, i grill almost nightly.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm

I always lit my cigarettes off one the burners on the gas stove.
Man, I miss that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm

So much love goes into meat cooked slow and low.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

MWB wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Where is the heat generated from if the burner is off? Another unused burner?

Yes. For example, mine has three burners. For indirect cooking I'll have the back burner on and the two front burners off. The meat goes over the front two. Or for smaller things ill have the front and back on and leave the middle off, with meat over the middle.

Yep. My grill has four front-to-back burners, so to indirect grill I leave the middle two burners off and set the outer two to medium-high. My grill is pretty darn big, so even using half of it I still have a good bit of space. I put a disposable half-sheet aluminum cookie pan under the grates to catch drippings. Something like chicken leg quarters takes about 45 minutes or so to cook indirectly, but there’s little risk of flare-ups or burning the outside of the chicken before the middle is cooked. I also usually make two foil packets of soaked wood chips or smoking pellets, and I put one over a lit burner when I start cooking and then replace it with the second at the halfway point. I bought a grate-lifter hook thing so I can lift up the cooking grate enough to slide a fresh packet under it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Speaking of smoking pellets, I can recommend the pellets made by BBQr’s Delight (http://bbqrsdelight.com). I bought a bag of the Jack Daniel’s pellets, and I found that when used in a foil pouch like they recommend you get a nice amount of smoke that lasts a long time. I make a double-layer pouch of aluminum foil, poke a small hole in the top, and then put it under the grate and over a lit burner. I’ve come to like the pellets even more than wood chips, and you don’t need to soak them before use. These are a great way to add smoky flavor to stuff grilled over propane. I’m going to place a big order of more pellets once the weather warms up.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm in line to replace my weber propane. Grates are worn out and the heat shields are almost falling apart. I could replace those parts, but want something bigger with an outside burner as well. Looked at Ducane grills last year. They are a company owned by Weber, but aren't as expensive. With that comes some cheaper material, but trying to decide if that's the way to go.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am

most smoker recipes call for a pan of water in the smoker. substitute apple juice or beer for water. i like soaking a chicken in bud light lime over night and then using that in the pan.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

I need to get a house then start trying to smoke stuff. As it stands now, i only grill when I go back to PA. I think I may grill ina couple weeks when I'm up for the Pens games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR