New smart TV help

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New smart TV help

Postby CERV96 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I know there is another thread about this but I am too lazy to find it. A month ago I just bought this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+55%26% ... Id=5611086

Problem 1
About every 3 to 4 days I go to turn my tv on and recieve no signal from my comcast/xfinity cable box. Ihave to disconnect the HDMI chord plug it back in sometimes that works. Other times I have to shut everything down, unplug everything, plug back in, and everything works for about 3-4 days. I assume this may be a handshake issue with the cable box or HDMI chord? Everyone tells me an HDMI chord is an HDMI chord and all of these super duper ones that are always advertised are no different from the $5 ones. When I switch my HDMI input to blu ray everything works fine with the handshake every time so I know it is not the TV.

Problem 2
When I go to the netflix app on my tv and start a movie I recieve no sound. My blu ray/SS player is connected to the 2nd HDMI port on my TV. What setting do I need to turn my blue ray player with 5.1 surround sound to to watch movies on netflix? Here is my surround sound system. When I use sound for my cable I connect the didgital audio chord from my box to my blu ray surround sound. Here is my blu ray/surround sound.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+- ... =panasonic 5.1&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications

Any help would be appriciated.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: New smart TV help

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Problem 1 sounds like an issue with your cable box. I'd call comcast and ask for a new one.

Problem 2 - I have the same issue using Netflix on my PS3. Netflix encodes their 5.1 audio in a way my Denon receiver (and apparently yours too) can't decode. Netflix is the only app I use that does this. Vudu, Hulu, Amazon, etc. all work fine. This is a Netflix problem and they don't care to fix it so if you want to use it, you'll have to change the audio option in the Netflix app to Stereo every time you watch something via Netflix.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Problem 1 sounds like an issue with your cable box. I'd call comcast and ask for a new one.

Problem 2 - I have the same issue using Netflix on my PS3. Netflix encodes their 5.1 audio in a way my Denon receiver (and apparently yours too) can't decode. Netflix is the only app I use that does this. Vudu, Hulu, Amazon, etc. all work fine. This is a Netflix problem and they don't care to fix it so if you want to use it, you'll have to change the audio option in the Netflix app to Stereo every time you watch something via Netflix.

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted. Sucks that netflix won't fix that issue. Sounds like it is done on purpose or something to make you buy a premium plan or something. I am new to netfix and I am guessing there are two different plans? Steaming and straming + mail delivery?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby knives of ice on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 pm

sounds like your smart tv is really really dumb

heyoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Last edited by knives of ice on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 pm

CERV96 wrote:Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted. Sucks that netflix won't fix that issue. Sounds like it is done on purpose or something to make you buy a premium plan or something. I am new to netfix and I am guessing there are two different plans? Steaming and straming + mail delivery?

I don't think it's that. It's just the way they encode the 5.1 sound. For me, I use a PS3 which doesn't decode the signal, it just passes it on to my Denon receiver. The receiver doesn't decode whatever type of codec they use either, so I get no sound unless I switch to stereo. It's annoying, but I watch mostly junk on Netflix anyway so I suppose it's not a big deal.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:31 pm

1) some hdmi cords just dont do the handshake quickly enough. hdmi is actually a terrible standard and hdcp (its drm) doesnt help. though comcast only uses drm on movie channels like showtime and cinemax. try a different cord if you can. doesnt have to be audioquest or monster. it would just help rule that out.

2) sounds like an arc problem. do you know what arc is? read up on it in the tv and receiver manual. dug this up on avsforum

Ok, I finally figured it out. In order for ARC to work, you have to have the following things:

1) high speed hdmi cable 1.4a
2) be plugged into the appropriate ARC inputs
3)turn on HDMI CEC on the receiver
4)turn on ARC on the TV sound settings
5)turn on SimpLink on the TV which is equivalent to HDMI CEC

P.S. Of course the TV and receiver have to be ARC compatible.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted. Sucks that netflix won't fix that issue. Sounds like it is done on purpose or something to make you buy a premium plan or something. I am new to netfix and I am guessing there are two different plans? Steaming and straming + mail delivery?

I don't think it's that. It's just the way they encode the 5.1 sound. For me, I use a PS3 which doesn't decode the signal, it just passes it on to my Denon receiver. The receiver doesn't decode whatever type of codec they use either, so I get no sound unless I switch to stereo. It's annoying, but I watch mostly junk on Netflix anyway so I suppose it's not a big deal.

im fairly certain netlix uses dolby digital plus (aka e-ac3) on ps3. thats old school - it was on the hd-dvd standard years ago. your receiver should be able to handle it with the proper settings. youre using hdmi right? spdif doesnt support eac3 bandwidth in more than two channels.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:im fairly certain netlix uses dolby digital plus (aka e-ac3) on ps3. thats old school - it was on the hd-dvd standard years ago. your receiver should be able to handle it with the proper settings. youre using hdmi right? spdif doesnt support eac3 bandwidth in more than two channels.

Yeah, I'm using hdmi. I don't think I even have the manual for my receiver, haha. It works for everything else, HD DVDs, BDs, all the other apps, etc. Just the Netflix app.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 am

Hockeynut! wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:im fairly certain netlix uses dolby digital plus (aka e-ac3) on ps3. thats old school - it was on the hd-dvd standard years ago. your receiver should be able to handle it with the proper settings. youre using hdmi right? spdif doesnt support eac3 bandwidth in more than two channels.

Yeah, I'm using hdmi. I don't think I even have the manual for my receiver, haha. It works for everything else, HD DVDs, BDs, all the other apps, etc. Just the Netflix app.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1089285/netfl ... t_20841592

That sounds like it will solve both of your PS3/Netflix/audio problems. Sounds like one of the PS3 updates may have messed with the settings.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 am

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/ ... m?hdmiinfo

Thats a great article about how bad HDMI is as a technology standard.

HDMI, as we've pointed out elsewhere, is a format which was designed primarily to serve the interests of the content-provider industries, not to serve the interests of the consumer. The result is a mess, and in particular, the signal is quite hard to route and switch, cable assemblies are unnecessarily complicated, and distance runs are chancy. Why is this, and what did the designers of the standard do wrong? And what can we do about it?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 pm

HDMI sux.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 pm

I run HDMI from my Mac to my TV and the picture and sound are quite good.

:shrugs:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 pm

columbia wrote:I run HDMI from my Mac to my TV and the picture and sound are quite good.

:shrugs:

hdmi cant effect a/v quality (per se). when you have a functioning cord and proper connections it sends computer data from your source (mac) to your display (tv).

there are two main problems
-the physical inside of the cord. not ideal for broadband data transmission
-all the drm type schemes associated with it

the handshakes that cerv96 mentioned are almost certainly his problem. for whatever reason his cable box, hdmi cord, and television do not always shake hands quickly enough. that is almost certainly causing his problem. there are a few technologies at work. one is EDID, which is an attempt for the cable box and tv to tell each other what kinds of audio and video signals they are able to handle. sometimes they give and receive incorrect info. the second is HDCP. as a comcast customer i think that should only affect premium movie channels, but i could be wrong. on other providers like time warner it would effect nearly everything. hdcp is an attempt to keep you from copying a/v streams bit for bit. hdcp enabled programming forces every piece of your chain to prove theres no way to copy the stream before it will play it back. not every hdmi device (such as tvs, receivers, or pc capture devices) has to recognize hdcp, but if programming enforces it you wont get a picture.

an example, my xbox 360 (that i bought used for $75 in 2010) will not do hdcp. just refuses to do it even on multiple different hdmi cords and on different televisions. for normal gaming, that means nothing - games work just fine. but netflix, premium movie channels inside windows media center (you can get cable programming on a 360) and my hd-dvd drive will not play. you get an error message about not having an HDCP compliant link. google it - its a bug in some xboxs but there is no fix. if i cared more id want to fix it but using component video works just fine for me.

for the op, your first problem would be gone if using component cords and spdif for audio to your htib is an option.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby roland on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 am

I recently purchased an LG tv and sometime have problems where there is no audio whenever I turn the TV and Comcast Cable box on. If I switch sources from cable to blue ray player and then back to cable, the audio will come on once the TV re-connects to the cable box. I have an over the air antenna hooked up as well and whenever I use that as the source, I never have a problem. I tried turning the TV on and off 10 times while using the over the air antenna and never had any problems. I did the same thing while using the cable box as the source and had the "no audio" problem 3 out of 10 times. Cable is connected via HDMI so I assume this could be a "handshake" problem?

Also, when seeing HDCP, my first dyslexic thought was Head Coach Craig Patrick.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Sometimes my cable box loses sound when it is recording something to DVR. I have found that I can turn it back on if i fiddle with the box audio settings.

Probably unrelated but still frustrating.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR