English language questions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

English language questions

Postby Tomas on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Feel free to insert your own.

My question for today:

Where do you put "ex-"?

ESPN had a headline today: "Ex-Sooners QB Davis killed in crash" and the header of the article even said "Ex-Oklahoma Sooners QB Steve Davis killed in plane crash."

Now, my own understanding of "ex-" is that it identifies 'what used to be but isn't anymore.' So, I think the correct sentence should be:

"Oklahoma Sooners ex-QB Davis ....", because he is a Sooner graduate (which continues even after he left the school), but he used to be a quarterback. Am I wrong?
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: English language questions

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm

The 3rd one just doesn't sound right. It still sounds like he's still at the university, but no longer playing football.

Saying he's an Ex-Sooner means he used to be on the team, but isn't anymore, IMO. Saying he's an ex-QB, to me, means he quit the team but is still taking classes (or something to that effect).

I would assume he hadn't been in school for a while, so saying he's an Ex-Sooner makes more sense here, as he no longer plays for the team. You can still be an alumni but be an Ex-(enter sports nickname here).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Does the Swedish chef actually speak Swedish?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Its adjectives. Being an Ex Oklahoma Sooner QB describes who he is. The Ex goes at the beginning of the adjectives.

He was the Oklahoma Sooner QB. In this instance Oklahoma Sooner is an adjective. QB is also an adjective. Since they are describing the same person, it is meant to start out saying he was an ex Oklahoma Sooner QB because that is the full description of the person.
Last edited by Rylan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 pm

The correct English would be "former Sooners QB", but I assume they went with ex- to save space for a headline.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 am

Rylan wrote:Its adjectives. Being an Ex Oklahoma Sooner QB describes who he is. The Ex goes at the beginning of the adjectives.

He was the Oklahoma Sooner QB. In this instance Oklahoma Sooner is an adjective. QB is also an adjective. Since they are describing the same person, it is meant to start out saying he was an ex Oklahoma Sooner QB because that is the full description of the person.

Yes. And if you were to say Oklahoma Sooner Ex-QB, one could infer that he still played for the Sooners, but no longer at the QB position, which is not the case.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:44 am

I have never put this much thought into the english language. You people amaze me!
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 am

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 am

Fantastic. I remember a Gallagher bit from the 80s that was like that.

English is way harder to learn (especially as a second language) than almost every other language that isn't based on clicks and hoots. And if you learn English as your first language, it makes learning other languages unnecessarily difficult.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR