Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Re: Car thread

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:46 pm

It will look like chocolate milk. I would advise doing a full change to be safe.

Let it get up to operating temperature and run for a while while you investigate the leak. I had a small pin hole crack on the side of the radiator on my Jeep Liberty one time. $4 bucks of JB Weld sealed it up. Hope that is the case for you, and not the head gasket!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,700
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Car thread

Postby cma3585 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on www.carcomplaint.com and the 2013's got problems through the roof.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,877
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Car thread

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:40 pm

cma3585 wrote:Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com and the 2013's got problems through the roof.


I had a 2001 if that helps. Had it for almost 10 years over 100,000 miles with no major mechanical problems. Only problem was the body was built like a tin can it seems like if you breathed on it wrong there would be a ding there.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,057
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Re: Car thread

Postby Factorial on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 pm

cma3585 wrote:Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com and the 2013's got problems through the roof.


13K? My local VW dealer had five new (2014) manual Jettas recently going for 14K.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,124
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Car thread

Postby cma3585 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Factorial wrote:
cma3585 wrote:Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com and the 2013's got problems through the roof.


13K? My local VW dealer had five new (2014) manual Jettas recently going for 14K.


Market's pretty brutal (at least around here) for anything with semi-low mileage under 13k out the door.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,877
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Car thread

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 pm

cma3585 wrote:Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com and the 2013's got problems through the roof.

Still driving my 2003 Elantra GT hatchback. I've been quite happy with it, and while it has gotten less reliable of late, it was pretty bulletproof for the first 10 years or so. I'm not planning on buying another, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the car. Hyundai decided to make the Tech Package for the 2015 Elantra GT available only with an automatic transmission, but (1) I don't buy automatics and (2) there are features in that package I consider mandatory for my next car.

I'm thinking of either the Kia Forte5 hatchback or the Mazda3 hatch for the next Shystermobile. I like the looks of the Mazda, and it gets great fuel economy, but every recent review I've read of the Mazda3 mentions that it has excessive (Consumer Reports used the word "profound") wind and road noise. Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Car thread

Postby cma3585 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Yeah, a big complaint about the newer years of Hyundai is road noise.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,877
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Car thread

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Shyster wrote:Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.


But you still won't buy an automatic? Just go all in and embrace your inner old fart. Buicks may not be particularly sporty, but they are definitely quiet. And comfortable.
Last edited by Willie Kool on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: In the Ballrooms of Mars

Re: Car thread

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked by the BBC
Jeremy Clarkson is to be sacked as Top Gear presenter after a BBC investigation concluded he did attack a producer on the programme.
Lord Hall, the Director General of the BBC, is expected to announce his decision on Wednesday after considering the findings of an internal investigation.

Clarkson, 54, will be thanked for his work on the hugely popular motoring show, but will be told such behaviour cannot be tolerated at the Corporation.

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.


The 'Top Gear' fan in me is disheartened that it's going to end this way; but if he did physically assault a producer, there's little choice in the matter. No word on the fates of Hammond and May (or The Stig - whoever he may be), but the rumor according the story is that JC will be signing with Netflix to make many things.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,082
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Car thread

Postby Shyster on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
Shyster wrote:Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.

But you still won't buy an automatic? Just go all in and embrace your inner old fart. Buicks may not be particularly sporty, but they are definitely quiet. And comfortable.

You gotta draw the line somewhere, and I am a fervent supporter of Save the Manuals. Manual-transmission cars are driven. Automatics are steered.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Car thread

Postby cma3585 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 pm

I love steering.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,877
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Car thread

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Shyster wrote:Manual-transmission cars are driven. Automatics are steered.

I certainly won't argue against that.


cma3585 wrote:I love steering.

:lol: :thumb:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,510
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: In the Ballrooms of Mars

Re: Car thread

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 pm

My cummins is a 5 speed. If my jetta was a 5 speed, I'd shoot myself. I'm half asleep as it is going into work. I'd hate to be half asleep and have to worry about shifting
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,700
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Car thread

Postby cma3585 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Ok, so I've never purchased a car on my own without my dad's help until now...how does this haggling method sound? It might sound great, or could be totally worthless, so I'm all ears. These two dealerships are right across the street from one another and aren't the same brand. The Dodge dealership which actually has the Elantra I want (2010) is in competition with the Hyundai dealer with the 2013 Elantra I don't want b/c evidently that year is terrible for Elantra's. 2010 has 28k miles on it. 2013 has 49k miles on it. Both are identical prices. Do I go to the Hyundai dealer first and claim I'm interested in the 2013 and ask what I can get it out the door for, then take that price over to the competing dealership and ask if they can match or beat it? Seems like common sense but, like I said, I've never done this before on my own.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,877
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Car thread

Postby cma3585 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Also, FWIW, I'm already sold on the 2010 from the Dodge dealership b/c they offer a lifetime power train warranty. The ONLY popular problem I've read about the 2010 were some transmission issues. So if it screws up, I lose the car for a week maybe once or twice while I have it, and I'm seemingly good. So I'm pretty hellbent on that option.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,877
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Car thread

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:27 am

tifosi77 wrote:Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked by the BBC
Jeremy Clarkson is to be sacked as Top Gear presenter after a BBC investigation concluded he did attack a producer on the programme.
Lord Hall, the Director General of the BBC, is expected to announce his decision on Wednesday after considering the findings of an internal investigation.

Clarkson, 54, will be thanked for his work on the hugely popular motoring show, but will be told such behaviour cannot be tolerated at the Corporation.

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.


The 'Top Gear' fan in me is disheartened that it's going to end this way; but if he did physically assault a producer, there's little choice in the matter. No word on the fates of Hammond and May (or The Stig - whoever he may be), but the rumor according the story is that JC will be signing with Netflix to make many things.


Honestly, I hope they continue it in some way, shape, or form. I watched the perfect Italian road trip 2-parter last night (the one they did last summer, after they got pulled over in France) and it got me thinking about how much I would miss it if Top Gear were to be no more.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,694
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Car thread

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 am

cma3585 wrote:Also, FWIW, I'm already sold on the 2010 from the Dodge dealership b/c they offer a lifetime power train warranty. The ONLY popular problem I've read about the 2010 were some transmission issues. So if it screws up, I lose the car for a week maybe once or twice while I have it, and I'm seemingly good. So I'm pretty hellbent on that option.


Go to the dodge dealer and tell them the price you want for the car. Leave if they don't offer it to you. Start lower than you want to pay so you can meet the salesman jn the middle. I bought my VW for 18,700. I wanted 18,500. It was listed at 21k, and I started at 17k. They came back with 19,500 before we finally haggle down to 18,700
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,700
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Car thread

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:27 am

Also, I'm sure there are a bazillion Hyundai elantras around, so if you don't get that one I wouldn't fret unless you're super desperate to get into a new vehicle.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,700
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Car thread

Postby meow on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 am

I deal with car dealers a little different than most. The last two vehicles I've bought, I've told the salesman he has one chance to give me his lowest possible price and if I don't like it, I'm walking out the door and he's not going to see me again. I do this because I hate to haggle and I think it has worked out very well for me.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,049
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Car thread

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:33 pm

It's official: Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

:sad:

Interestingly, he hasn't actually been fired. They simply aren't renewing his contract. (I guess all three were due for renewals at the end of this season.) Seems a semantic thing, but it might be an important distinction in UK employment law. If the Netflix rumors are true, I wonder if this was a case of 'suicide-by-cop'; he reported the incident himself, after all.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,082
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Car thread

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Shyster wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
Shyster wrote:Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.

But you still won't buy an automatic? Just go all in and embrace your inner old fart. Buicks may not be particularly sporty, but they are definitely quiet. And comfortable.

You gotta draw the line somewhere, and I am a fervent supporter of Save the Manuals. Manual-transmission cars are driven. Automatics are steered.

Well then call me a steerist. 10 years in L.A. traffic, the last two in the hills between the Basin and the SFV, have definitely soured my enthusiasm for the manual transmission in a daily driver.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,082
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Car thread

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Call me a steerist as well. Not so much the traffic for me, it's the spittin' bakker juice in one can and drinkin' Mt Dew out of the other that keeps my hands tied up. Thankfully I'm old enough now that I don't get the two cans mixed up. That's just gross.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: St. Louis (by way of Greene Co, Pa)

Re: Car thread

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:40 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Well then call me a steerist. 10 years in L.A. traffic, the last two in the hills between the Basin and the SFV, have definitely soured my enthusiasm for the manual transmission in a daily driver.

I think you know me well enough to know how I would solve that problem.
Spoiler:
Get the heck out of California.
Last edited by Shyster on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Car thread

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Believe it or not, Shyster, that's been on my mind a bit of late.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,082
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Car thread

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

BuckintheLou wrote:Call me a steerist as well. Not so much the traffic for me, it's the spittin' bakker juice in one can and drinkin' Mt Dew out of the other that keeps my hands tied up. Thankfully I'm old enough now that I don't get the two cans mixed up. That's just gross.


Oh come on. I ate a full meal of Wendy's the other night in my Cummins... and my cup holder is broken :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,700
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


e-mail