Anyone into console emulators?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone into console emulators?

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 pm

I once laid in a ball and emulated the consol energy center
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 pm

this is how i spent my evening:

the pc bluetooth adapter i ordered came in so i finally got my wiimotes connected to my pc. they work great for this and the nunchuk is a great stand in for an atari 2600 controller. im trying to get my dad to come down tomorrow and play berzerk and breakout with me.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Donkey Kong Sucks!

foe'd ;)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 pm

one of my favorite games

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Snoopys Olympics was better
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 am

what plugin is that for media center?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 am

About 7 years ago I had a Sega Dreamcast (I actually still have it...) and I had a disk with every single NES title on it. It didn't take me long to discover that there is a reason that gaming systems became obsolete. Their games and gameplay suck compared to what I am playing now. Just can't get into it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 am

Media Browser w/ Game Browser. I tried tricking Media Browser into recognizing the rom files by renaming them as .TS files (a format I don't use) and telling MB to launch .TS files with an external player - in this came the emulator.

Couldn't quite get it to work and it would force me to add all my own metadata and coverart for each game. I paid for Game Browser am really happy with it.

I mapped the Wii buttons like this:
DPad Left: DOWN
DPad Up: LEFT
DPad Right: UP
DPad Down: RIGHT
A: ALT
-: Ctrl (Select)
+: Enter (Start)
Home: Backspace
1: Z (B)
2: X (A)

Alt+X is the hotkey to close the emulator, so I can press A+2 together to do just that. The emulator closes and goes right back to the library menu. I can press HOME to navigate backwards through the library. I am going to pick up a Classic Controller at The Exchange today for Genesis/SNES/N64.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Media Browser w/ Game Browser. I tried tricking Media Browser into recognizing the rom files by renaming them as .TS files (a format I don't use) and telling MB to launch .TS files with an external player - in this came the emulator.

Couldn't quite get it to work and it would force me to add all my own metadata and coverart for each game. I paid for Game Browser am really happy with it.

I mapped the Wii buttons like this:
DPad Left: DOWN
DPad Up: LEFT
DPad Right: UP
DPad Down: RIGHT
A: ALT
-: Ctrl (Select)
+: Enter (Start)
Home: Backspace
1: Z (B)
2: X (A)

Alt+X is the hotkey to close the emulator, so I can press A+2 together to do just that. The emulator closes and goes right back to the library menu. I can press HOME to navigate backwards through the library. I am going to pick up a Classic Controller at The Exchange today for Genesis/SNES/N64.

i'm so on board.

what emulators are you using?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 am

PensFanInDC wrote:About 7 years ago I had a Sega Dreamcast (I actually still have it...) and I had a disk with every single NES title on it. It didn't take me long to discover that there is a reason that gaming systems became obsolete. Their games and gameplay suck compared to what I am playing now. Just can't get into it.

I think the games that are still well known are that way because they were very good, especially the platformers. Mega Man 2/3, Duck Tales (essentially a re-skinned version of Mega Man), Legend of Zelda, Mario 3, Metroid, Contra, Ninja Turtles 2, Bionic Commando - all of them are pretty easy to play with fairly clear objectives and patterns you pick up on as you play them. The fact that they're still making Mario platformers is a testament to how popular that sort of game is.

Some of the ones I had as a kid and thought were lousy then (Magmax, Destination Earthstar, Jaws) seem even worse now. I was playing Family Feud and it was kind of funny to try answering the questions as someone would 25 years ago. Name things families wait in line to use - a telephone? Never would've considered that.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 am

I actually think Jaws is one of the best games NES ever had
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am

Yeah, don't speak ill of Jaws.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 pm

ThinkGeek sells USB replicas of the NES, SNES, and N64 controllers:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Shyster wrote:ThinkGeek sells USB replicas of the NES, SNES, and N64 controllers:

i just built the same setup as pittsoccer. got a couple of xbox 360 controllers. they work good enough. the replica ones are cool as hell, but i'd rather be able to switch between systems without changing hardware.

though there's something to be said for that trigger on the n64 controller.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I actually think Jaws is one of the best games NES ever had

I remember playing that game a ton, and never knowing what it was I was supposed to be doing
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 am

Froggy wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I actually think Jaws is one of the best games NES ever had

I remember playing that game a ton, and never knowing what it was I was supposed to be doing

Survive
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 am

shmenguin wrote:
Shyster wrote:ThinkGeek sells USB replicas of the NES, SNES, and N64 controllers:

i just built the same setup as pittsoccer. got a couple of xbox 360 controllers. they work good enough. the replica ones are cool as hell, but i'd rather be able to switch between systems without changing hardware.

I think I'm going to get an N64 one, or possibly one I've seen that connects to a wiimote the way the classic controller does.

The N64 controller just has such a different button layout than almost every other controller ever and I have yet to figure out a button arrangement that works for me, either with the Wii Classic Controller, 360 controller, or PS2/3 style controller.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I think I'm going to get an N64 one, or possibly one I've seen that connects to a wiimote the way the classic controller does.

The N64 controller just has such a different button layout than almost every other controller ever and I have yet to figure out a button arrangement that works for me, either with the Wii Classic Controller, 360 controller, or PS2/3 style controller.

the n64 one is tempting since it's equipped to handle N64, SNES, Genesis, NES and i guess Atari. but the cord is only 6 feet. that would be a problem with my set up. i need 9 feet to comfortably play from my couch.

in other news...i've been playing original metroid the last couple of nights. that game is a mind f***. i don't know how i played that as a kid without having panic attacks. who the hell can keep track of where they've been and which doors lead to what?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm

http://gamesdbase.com/game/arcade/hot-rod.aspx

one of my favorite arcade games, I need to buy this actual machine, but in the mean time, how would I go about finding this to play on a pc and would you be able to hook up a steering wheel? I know nothing about emulators.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm

eddy, what you want to look for is MAME.

MAME = Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. You will need:
-the MAME exe program file. That is the emulator
-the ROM file of the game you want to play

That is basically it. You open the emulator and it kind of looks like word or excel any other program with menus across the top bar. you will open the rom file from there.

The settings for emulators can be a little bit tricky - matching resolutions, refresh rates, controls, etc. So its a bit of trial and error.

Hyperspin is a really neat MAME front end. I installed it on my PC but it didn't fit in quite as well as Game Browser. If I were building a dedicated arcade machine Hyperspin would definitely by the front end of choice.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks Pitt, I will now go on an adventure
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 pm

shmenguin wrote:the n64 one is tempting since it's equipped to handle N64, SNES, Genesis, NES and i guess Atari. but the cord is only 6 feet. that would be a problem with my set up. i need 9 feet to comfortably play from my couch.

It's a regular USB cable, so you could certainly make that cord longer using a hub and additional cords.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR