North Korea

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: North Korea

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Guinness wrote:
Shyster wrote:
newarenanow wrote:But one of your close friends does live across the street from him and you are there to help protect him.

My friend can protect himself, I don’t have the money to protect him, and many of my friend’s family members would like me to go the heck away because I’ve been occupying several rooms of their house (without paying rent) for around 50 years.

:thumb:

Moreover, I would add that even if "I" did have the money to protect him, "I" wouldn't put the lives of my sons or brothers on the line to protect him.

I'm pretty sure I'd only be willing to do that to defend the lives of my family.

Well, since we're part of why South Korea was created in the first place, they're a little more than just a friend at this point.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Crazy uncle seems like a good description.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Shyster wrote:
newarenanow wrote:But one of your close friends does live across the street from him and you are there to help protect him.

My friend can protect himself, I don’t have the money to protect him, and many of my friend’s family members would like me to go the heck away because I’ve been occupying several rooms of their house (without paying rent) for around 50 years.

Moreover, I would add that even if "I" did have the money to protect him, "I" wouldn't put the lives of my sons or brothers on the line to protect him.

I'm pretty sure I'd only be willing to do that to defend the lives of my family.

Well, since we're part of why South Korea was created in the first place, they're a little more than just a friend at this point.

Who is this "we" of which you speak?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I'm confused. Do NAN and Shyster live in North Korea?

Fayette county.

I'd rather go to North Korea than Fayette County. It's much safer.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Guinness wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Shyster wrote:

Who is this "we" of which you speak?

The United States.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Rocco wrote:Well, since we're part of why South Korea was created in the first place, they're a little more than just a friend at this point.

We helped “create” South Korea by refusing to even meet with the government-in-exile of the country after WWII, setting up our own military government, and then installing a proxy/puppet government headed by strong man Syngman Rhee. His autocratic rule (that featured the brutal suppression of hundreds of thousands of people) was eventually ended by a student uprising. And what the heck entitled the United States to occupy Korea and rule it for three years with a military government in the first place? Korea wasn’t an enemy combatant in WWII; it was a nation that had been militarily occupied by Japan. Did the United States take over and run France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and similar countries that had merely been occupied by Germany? Of course not. What gave us the right to do the same thing to Korea? Oh, yeah, we wanted to fight the commies.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:48 pm

We had to stop the red threat at the 38th parallel.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Rocco wrote:The United States.

Well, I don't recall creating South Korea. I mean, I do drink. But not that heavily. I would remember creating a country.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Guinness wrote:

Well, I don't recall creating South Korea. I mean, I do drink. But not that heavily. I would remember creating a country.

i dont think WEEE did anything but get hammered and watch sports bloopers.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I'm confused. Do NAN and Shyster live in North Korea?

Fayette county.

I'd rather go to North Korea than Fayette County. It's much safer.

Hey!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Did we do that? I mean, I've done that, but I don't remember you being there. :)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Guinness wrote:Well, I don't recall creating South Korea. I mean, I do drink. But not that heavily. I would remember creating a country.

And play the occasional game of "Bury the Kimchi"?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:49 pm

redwill wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Guinness wrote:Well, I don't recall creating South Korea. I mean, I do drink. But not that heavily. I would remember creating a country.

And play the occasional game of "Bury the Kimchi"?

WEEE are not in KS anymore... or even ever.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:54 pm

OK.

Our loss, I suppose.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Guinness wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Did we do that? I mean, I've done that, but I don't remember you being there. :)

i was so sure you were taking that from a doug stanhope bit. it was almost word for word.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
Guinness wrote:

i was so sure you were taking that from a doug stanhope bit. it was almost word for word.

:lol: Somewhat ironic.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Shyster wrote:
Rocco wrote:Well, since we're part of why South Korea was created in the first place, they're a little more than just a friend at this point.

We helped “create” South Korea by refusing to even meet with the government-in-exile of the country after WWII, setting up our own military government, and then installing a proxy/puppet government headed by strong man Syngman Rhee. His autocratic rule (that featured the brutal suppression of hundreds of thousands of people) was eventually ended by a student uprising. And what the heck entitled the United States to occupy Korea and rule it for three years with a military government in the first place? Korea wasn’t an enemy combatant in WWII; it was a nation that had been militarily occupied by Japan. Did the United States take over and run France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and similar countries that had merely been occupied by Germany? Of course not. What gave us the right to do the same thing to Korea? Oh, yeah, we wanted to fight the commies.

Korea had been part of the Japanese empire since 1910. There was no civil Korean government in place to run things as there had been in the European countries. (Altho I gather that the U.S. Army dude in charge kept a number of the Japanese government officials who had been running Korea as advisers. Which wasn't exactly what you'd call a popular decision.) When the U.S. forces landed, their commanding general announced that Korea was to be considered an "enemy of the United States".

Been reading a little about this history of the Korean peninsula today. I can't believe how utterly arbitrary the division of the country was. They used a National Geographic map and said, "Um, the 38th parallel seems like it's about halfway." Completely unaware that several decades earlier Japan and Russia had discussed splitting the peninsula at that point as well. The whole post-WW2 occupation seems to have been one fustercluck after another.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Firebird on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Shyster wrote:

The agreement with the Soviets was for there to be free and open elections in both parts of the country. The Soviets reneged on their part of the deal. The North invaded the South and we intervened.

The Soviets started this, not us.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Firebird wrote:
Shyster wrote:

The agreement with the Soviets was for there to be free and open elections in both parts of the country. The Soviets reneged on their part of the deal. The North invaded the South and we intervened.

The Soviets started this, not us.

they might have started the war in 1950 but they didnt divide the country.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Firebird wrote:The agreement with the Soviets was for there to be free and open elections in both parts of the country. The Soviets reneged on their part of the deal. The North invaded the South and we intervened.

Both the U.S. and the Soviets installed puppet, client governments in their respective halves, each of which was aligned to that occupier’s political ideology. We hand-picked Syngman Rhee to lead “our” government and backed him even as he suppressed or killed thousands of South Koreans who objected to him and his American-backed government. U.S. occupation troops were active participants in those efforts to suppress the “rebels.” (Remember, one man’s “rebel” is another man’s “freedom fighter.”) Our elections were no less free and open than the ones held by the Soviets. In both cases, the resulting government was exactly the one the occupier wanted, not necessarily what the Korean people wanted (the same people who never consented to the division of their land in the first place).
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Shyster wrote: the resulting government was exactly the one the occupier wanted, not necessarily what the Korean people wanted (the same people who never consented to the division of their land in the first place).

That sounds a lot like the colonization and founding of these old United States.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:16 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The South Koreans hate us and want us out.

As someone currently in South Korea for study...

Not completely true. They are kinda pissed off at the immaturity & stupidity our troops show, but not true.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby redwill on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 am

Avyran wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The South Koreans hate us and want us out.

As someone currently in South Korea for study...

Not completely true. They are kinda pissed off at the immaturity & stupidity our troops show, but not true.

I'm thirty years removed from South Korea and it was still quite an oppressive society when I was there, but, yeah, I saw nothing but good feelings from the South Koreans toward us. I'm sure a lot has changed but I take heart from your post that, for the most part, the people are still cool. I would love to go back there one day. Not much chance of that, unfortunately.

One reason I love "Gangnam Style" so much is that I actually recognize a couple of the locations in the video. Plus it's an epic tune and it makes me smile.

Man, I'm envious of you being there at this point in history. Soak it up.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 am

Guinness wrote::lol: Somewhat ironic.

son of a *****.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:15 pm

North Korea I guess has two missles loaded and ready for launch, and warned diplomats at embassies in the NOrth that they are not protected if war breaks out.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR