North Korea

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: North Korea

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:24 pm

North Korea, and the entire peninsula really, fascinates me. Probably because it is a closed society, but it is really like an alien society from science fiction.

Here are some things to study: Kim Jong-il looking at things blog: http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/ Pictures of the dear leader looking at things.

The cult of the North Korean Traffic Girls. There aren't street lights in Pyongyang. They use women.

http://www.pyongyangtrafficgirls.com/
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 pm

delete
Last edited by JS© on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm pretty sure thats the same 6 cars going by and turning around, also pretty sure that's a robot.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm

eddysnake wrote:I'm pretty sure thats the same 6 cars going by and turning around, also pretty sure that's a robot.

Either way, it's fascinating. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I'm pretty sure thats the same 6 cars going by and turning around, also pretty sure that's a robot.

Either way, it's fascinating. :lol:

very. I wonder if they have any theme/amusement parks there?

edit: they sure do! hilarious read

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/north-korea-fun-fair-mangyongdae-hoban-death
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Did they kill someone for not having fun?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Sometimes I miss the GDR. Oh well, at least we still have FOX.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The cult of the North Korean Traffic Girls. There aren't street lights in Pyongyang. They use women.

http://www.pyongyangtrafficgirls.com/

Just watched a piece on CNN that said they apparently just installed a couple electric traffic signals in the capital. (Like, the week before the reporter arrived...... and just at one intersection.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Firebird on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 pm

The DPRK isn't even a threat. They can barely launch a satellite (which has since crashed). Using outdated equipment at least 20 years old, they put all of their resources into feeding their armed forces. The fake city was a nice touch, too.

The US propaganda machine is fear mongering heavily on this one, not sure why yet, but they're out in full force with the uncle sam bs.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 pm

DocEmrick wrote:The DPRK isn't even a threat. They can barely launch a satellite (which has since crashed). Using outdated equipment at least 20 years old, they put all of their resources into feeding their armed forces. The fake city was a nice touch, too.

The US propaganda machine is fear mongering heavily on this one, not sure why yet, but they're out in full force with the uncle sam bs.

The have the third largest army in the world. This isn't Iraq, it's a smaller space jammed with more people.

Sure we have air power, we can kill half a million of his men and there would still be more coming across the dmz.

Think Enemy at the Gates when the Russians were getting massacred but kept going at the Germans.

The don't need a satellite to lob a nuke/atomic weapon 10 miles to the south to hit Seoul....CC Sabathia could probably lob it that far...
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:20 pm

The biggest threat they pose, to SK/Japan, is a covert operation at Fukushima. If they were to explode ordinance or sabotage that region and specific plant, they could cause a huge mess in the area, likely sealing their own fate as well.

Technology will trump manpower in the end, because eventually the other side just loses the will to fight.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:18 am

If you guys want to be, I don't know, both shocked and impressed as hell, search youtube for 'north korea music children' or something similar. Whatever training programs they use are turning out little geniuses.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 am

Saber rattling, nothing more.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:32 am

Every single one of those videos creep me out. I can't imagine the "training" that was required to get children of those ages to perform like robots.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:37 am

thepittman wrote:Every single one of those videos creep me out. I can't imagine the "training" that was required to get children of those ages to perform like robots.

Yeah, as I watch those, I'm just thankful that I wasn't born there. There is something very chilling about it all.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 am

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Guinness wrote:DPRK is NO threat to any American living in the United States, including Hawaii.

Agreed. Personally, I think it is ridiculous and unnecessary flame-fanning to treat their blowhard threats as serious. Most likely, this posturing is a way for Kim Junior to solidify his own position by rallying everyone around an enemy that isn’t him. By moving fighters and bombers to South Korea, positioning warships off the coast, etc. we are merely playing right into those plans.

Moreover, North Korea’s claims are not entirely without merit. They’re saying that the United States is targeting them and could attack. Yeah, the United States never gins up reasons to go to war… except maybe for Panama, Grenada, Iraq, and Libya, to name a just a few.

In addition to your list: The Spainish-American War 1898, The Mexican-American War 1846, Wounded Knee 1890, The overthrow of Hawaii 1893, Russia 1918, El Salvador 1981, Lebanon 1982 would all be included in my historic scope of "ginning up" reasons for conflict.

So I shouldn't wear my "Fifty-four Forty or Fight" T shirt? It would look like I'm a typical war-hungry American?
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:04 am

My serious question:

Does Kim Jong Un know how badly he'd be destroyed in a war with the US? I can see a scenario where he was one who believed his father's public statements, and his advisors might be scared to present the real truth to him. If he honestly believes he has a powerful hand to play, then this situation is a lot scarier.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

Some of these posts are ridiculous. Makes it sound like the US is the only nation to ever go to war for their own interests. Been happening since man figured out how to hit each other with sticks and rocks.

Pucks and Pols - why don't we add the Revolutionary War to the list?

I'll also say the people worried about the number of N Korean ground troops is weird. Modern technology seems to have nullified that advantage. In the example above with the Russians charging machine gun fire... how do you have them charge air planes and drones?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:01 am

Those kids look like they could use a good meal and some sunshine. :(

The NK version of the State Department recommended that the UK and other countries leave their embassies. Good times.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:29 pm

bhaw wrote:Some of these posts are ridiculous. Makes it sound like the US is the only nation to ever go to war for their own interests. Been happening since man figured out how to hit each other with sticks and rocks.

Quite true. But oddly enough, our politicians and history books never say that we started that war for selfish reasons. The U.S. likes to pretend that its own crap doesn’t stink. Also, we theoretically have a Constitution that prohibits us entering into a war without a declaration that only Congress can make. But that part of the Constitution seems to be one of the parts that certain people have “evolved” out of existence.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Shyster wrote:
bhaw wrote:Some of these posts are ridiculous. Makes it sound like the US is the only nation to ever go to war for their own interests. Been happening since man figured out how to hit each other with sticks and rocks.

Quite true. But oddly enough, our politicians and history books never say that we started that war for selfish reasons. The U.S. likes to pretend that its own crap doesn’t stink. Also, we theoretically have a Constitution that prohibits us entering into a war without a declaration that only Congress can make. But that part of the Constitution seems to be one of the parts that certain people have “evolved” out of existence.

Well yea Shyster. No country in history has ever started a war for selfish reasons in their history books. Why? Propaganda. Because war is ultimately a selfish act. It is because you covet something, be it land or power. I get tired of how terrible the US is or how militaristic it is. It is no more militaristic than any other world power in history. Wah wah wah.

That said, I would much prefer if we didn't involve ourselves in another war in my lifetime.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Rylan wrote:Well yea Shyster. No country in history has ever started a war for selfish reasons in their history books. Why? Propaganda. Because war is ultimately a selfish act. It is because you covet something, be it land or power. I get tired of how terrible the US is or how militaristic it is. It is no more militaristic than any other world power in history. Wah wah wah.

That said, I would much prefer if we didn't involve ourselves in another war in my lifetime.

So it’s all okay with you? We’re not just talking about historical events or theoretical abstracts. We’re talking about current events. Right now, there are US military drones flying over places like Yemen, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, just looking for someone to kill. Bombs and missiles from our drones have killed thousands of people since 9/11, many of them completely innocent men, women, and children. The U.S. has “accidentally” whacked more children using drones sicne 9/11 than every schooling shooting since that time combined—a report found that in Pakistan alone 176 children have been blown into “collateral damage” by drone strikes. President Obama bombed Libya without even the pretense of approval from Congress (which, under Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution is the only entity that can declare war). We’re arming one side of the civil war in Syria right at this very moment (where else are the Syrian rebels getting the M4 rifles and PMAGS they’re suddenly running around with?). All of this is being done right now in your name and with your tax money.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't want war. I disdain war. Hell in my original post I stated I don't want another war in my lifetime. Meaning I would rather there be a Pax Romana of modern times. But I do get annoyed when people act like the US is the only country that is imperialistic or is the only country that involves itself in military dealings. We just happen to be the largest and most well known. I don't agree with the militaristic actions of the US that do not directly involve either national security or the aid of an ally from annihilation.

But, it is not done in my name. It uses my tax dollars, but we long ago lost the ability to determine as a nation where that money went. I distance myself from the government the best I can, not because I want to bury my head in the sand, but because I recognize the government does whatever the **** it wants. I hardly ever agree with what our leaders of state do. I think our foreign policy (aside from the Navy, our Navy more or less runs the world. without it who knows what would happen, but I would venture to state things would not be good) is too involved in things it should not be. I think the domestic policy has been pretty terrible and I also think many other things that are not meant to be typed out considering I am not a person that partakes in my political talks in which my views are stated explicitly.

So yes, in a way it is okay with me because our government long ago reached a size too big for the people to handle and is out of control. But, if I had my choice then I would change it. Kids in foreign countries shouldn't be subjected to potentially dying each day. So, there is a terrible answer that you probably will find abhorrent.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR