North Korea

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: North Korea

Postby viva la ben on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

This is certainly ramping up more than the previous outbursts...Now there are reports of intercepted communications of a planned missle launch.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 am

For you politcal types taht follow this stuff closely, is this more than the usual coming from N. Korea?

Is there a serious threat?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

newarenanow wrote:For you politcal types taht follow this stuff closely, is this more than the usual coming from N. Korea?

1) Yes

2) Doubtful. I'm 10x more worried about them launching a missile against a local ally in the region (like South Korea) than them actually firing one at the US, which they aren't close to being able to do.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am

looks like Anonymous is getting involved now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22025724

The group has issued several warnings since the country's threats have intensified.

Uriminzokkiri, a news site, has been forced offline - while Twitter and Flickr accounts have been breached.

Anonymous also claimed to have accessed 15,000 usernames and passwords from a university database.

As part of action which the loosely organised collective has called "Operation Free Korea", the hackers have called for leader Kim Jong-un to step down, a democratic government to be put in place - and for North Koreans to get uncensored internet access.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:For you politcal types taht follow this stuff closely, is this more than the usual coming from N. Korea?

1) Yes

2) Doubtful. I'm 10x more worried about them launching a missile against a local ally in the region (like South Korea) than them actually firing one at the US, which they aren't close to being able to do.

As for 2, I'm not worried at all about them reaching the US. When I say if there is a serious threat, I'm talking about what you are saying, them firign at South Korea or Japan or someone and then us having to jump in and war breaking out.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:47 am

Is Anonymous the most powerful group in the world?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 am

If China doesn't back them, wouldn't a conflict would last a couple of hours...however long it took to hit all of their military installations with missiles? Then Martial law for a few months and South Korea absorbing them?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If China doesn't back them, wouldn't a conflict would last a couple of hours...however long it took to hit all of their military installations with missiles? Then Martial law for a few months and South Korea absorbing them?

Sounds good to me...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 am

Has anyone other than myself noticed my complete inability to make a completely coherent post lately?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Has anyone other than myself noticed my complete inability to make a completely coherent post lately?

Maybe Anonymous hacked your brain. :pop:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:58 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Has anyone other than myself noticed my complete inability to make a completely coherent post lately?

Letting others use your account is a bannable offense. :pop:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 am

newarenanow wrote:As for 2, I'm not worried at all about them reaching the US. When I say if there is a serious threat, I'm talking about what you are saying, them firign at South Korea or Japan or someone and then us having to jump in and war breaking out.

If they nuked anyone in a first strike nuke the entire world would respond. Imagine 24/7 news coverage and youtube wall to wall with cell phone vids of dead corpses. It would be terrible.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If China doesn't back them, wouldn't a conflict would last a couple of hours...however long it took to hit all of their military installations with missiles? Then Martial law for a few months and South Korea absorbing them?

No way man. North Korea has over a million active troops, a navy, more airplanes than SK + US have (until the rest of the USAF and RAF shows up obviously). But the biggest factor is the terrain is absolutely a nightmare. Think Afghanistan style terrain that totally nullifies a lot of the tank warfare advantage. They have 60 years of digging in and tunnels and bunkers. There is zero chance a ground war would only last "hours".
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
newarenanow wrote:They are just proviking someone to fire at them first. They dont' have the balls to do anything IMO.

That is exactly what they are doing. They want to scare the US enough to strike first, which means China would provide aid per their treaty.

I think on top of this, if no one strikes, Kim Jung Un will go to his people and say "see, even the evil US and their allies fear N. Korea and will not strike us", giving him more power.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 am

Welcome to the club!!!!!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

No way man. North Korea has over a million active troops, a navy, more airplanes than SK + US have (until the rest of the USAF and RAF shows up obviously). But the biggest factor is the terrain is absolutely a nightmare. Think Afghanistan style terrain that totally nullifies a lot of the tank warfare advantage. They have 60 years of digging in and tunnels and bunkers. There is zero chance a ground war would only last "hours".

No way this would be a ground war other than just trying to protect the South Korean border.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 am

If there is a scenario where N. Korea uses a first strike doesn't that mean this becomes a war in the true sense, allowing retaliation without regard to consequence ?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:22 am

count2infinity wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

No way this would be a ground war other than just trying to protect the South Korean border.

That is what I was getting at. I feel like they would be contained pretty quickly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:24 am

since1970 wrote:If there is a scenario where N. Korea uses a first strike doesn't that mean this becomes a war in the true sense, allowing retaliation without regard to consequence ?

I don't think a war like that is possible anymore.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

I've been to North Korea. Unfortunately, I don't have much insight because I was only there for a couple of minutes. My father was stationed in S. Korea in the early 80s and I took a USO tour to the Joint Security Area at the DMZ and walked around a table which was technically the border. It was pretty intimidating as a 13-year-old to see the North Korean soldiers glaring at me through the window just a few feet away. Those guys have a bit of a reputation, to say the least.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am

redwill wrote:I've been to North Korea. Unfortunately, I don't have much insight because I was only there for a couple of minutes. My father was stationed in S. Korea in the early 80s and I took a USO tour to the Joint Security Area at the DMZ and walked around a table which was technically the border. It was pretty intimidating as a 13-year-old to see the North Korean soldiers glaring at me through the window just a few feet away. Those guys have a bit of a reputation, to say the least.

Did you do this?

Spoiler:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am

DPRK is NO threat to any American living in the United States, including Hawaii.

They have no ability to strike the United States. They do not possess the missile technology to do so ballistically. If and when they ever do, any missile launched wouldn't make it half way across the Pacific.

I hesitate to even mention this as it is so absurdly laughable, but I have seen a bizarre concern that their military poses a threat to the US. Unless they're shipping themselves to the west coast in containers on Chinese freighters, or following in the footsteps of pre-civilization humans and hoping to find a land-bridge at the Bering Straits, I'm not sure how they'd get here, exactly.

I mean... come on.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

NK might not have a lot of modern tech but numbers + terrain will make them not easy in a conventional war. 21k artillery pieces, even WWII vintage, is like a crap ton.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby since1970 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
since1970 wrote:If there is a scenario where N. Korea uses a first strike doesn't that mean this becomes a war in the true sense, allowing retaliation without regard to consequence ?

I wonder though, if they struck w/o provacation would the rest of the world care about the method of retaliation, and the possible collateral damage ?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

since1970 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I wonder though, if they struck w/o provacation would the rest of the world care about the method of retaliation, and the possible collateral damage ?

There are a lot of human beings living in that country.

I hope all of the involved parties on both "sides" keep that in mind.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR