Harvey Updyke is probably laughing his...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Harvey Updyke is probably laughing his...

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 pm

...ass off riight now. Looks like Auburn bought and paid for their crystal football. Sic-'em NCAA.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recr ... es-report/

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Harvey Updyke is probably laughing his...

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Selena Roberts (the author of the story in question) should have been thrown in prison years ago for her disgusting reporting during the Duke Lacrosse case. I refuse to take anything she says seriously, and I have a low opinion of college sports.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/03/17/a-year-later-selena-roberts-still-cant-admit-she-was-wrong-abo/

Q: Which column - over the span of your career - have you taken the most heat for? Why do you think readers were so upset?

Duke Lacrosse. No question. Basically, I wrote that a crime didn't have to occur for us to inspect the irrefutable evidence of misogyny and race baiting that went on that night. Not a popular stand. I received lots of hate mail, some of it threatening. I think the intense response came from Duke-player supporters who felt threatened when someone, whether it was me or another columnist, started poking at the culture of affluence and entitlement. We're always dissecting the African-American and Hispanic communities – is it gangs? is it the rap lyrics? - when trouble strikes minority athletes. Obviously, some segments of the Duke lacrosse crowd did not enjoy the scrutiny of their world.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Yea, I know the reputation of the journalist who wrote the piece, but you still have to wonder how nine players were on the outside looking in as far as eligible for the BCSCG and all of a sudden they all became eligible. :roll:

And you'll never make me beleive that Cam Newton wasn't "bought and paid for" also.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 pm

and here I was checking to see if anyone was discussing this in the college football thread. Boy do I feel dumb.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR