RIP Annette Funicello

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: RIP Annette Funicello

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 pm

I knew of her and I'm 31.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Yeah, Skippy commercials. That's exactly where I know her from most prominently. I'm 39.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:35 pm

I kinda thought you'd have to live under a rock to not know who Annette Funnyjello is. Guess not.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 pm

21 year old checking in...had to google.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Guys that were in 6th grade during the Mickey Mouse club days knew who Annette was. She was the mousketeer with bumps in her sweater. This was a regular topic of admiring discussion on the playground back in the day.
The beach movies were part of the horrid teenage movie industry of the 60's. Beach movies,biker movies, Elvis movies, pop musician movies, crap horror movies (such as I was a teenage Frankenstein). Good thing most were watched or not watched at drive ins.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Geezer wrote:Guys that were in 6th grade during the Mickey Mouse club days knew who Annette was. She was the mousketeer with bumps in her sweater. This was a regular topic of admiring discussion on the playground back in the day.
The beach movies were part of the horrid teenage movie industry of the 60's. Beach movies,biker movies, Elvis movies, pop musician movies, crap horror movies (such as I was a teenage Frankenstein). Good thing most were watched or not watched at drive ins.

Drive-ins and on Chiller Theatre. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

32. I remember Skippy commercials and Back to the Beach.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I must admit I actually shed a tear when I heard this. But that was probably because I felt that part of my youth had died today, as much as the fact that she had passed. Here is a video I really like with her in it. She's not singing in the video, but the clips of her fit the song perfectly. RIP Annette. You were a one of a kind.

Oh and Geezer, from your comments above, you will probably like the pic at the 2:28 mark. :wink:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm

So...not obscure?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I must admit I actually shed a tear when I heard this. But that was probably because I felt that part of my youth had died today, as much as the fact that she had passed. Here is a video I really like with her in it. She's not singing in the video, but the clips of her fit the song perfectly. RIP Annette. You were a one of a kind.

Oh and Geezer, from your comments above, you will probably like the pic at the 2:28 mark. :wink:

BEPF

:thumb:
I know me and my pals transitioned to being more interested in Annette than the cowboy stuff shown on the Mickey Mouse club; Spin & Marty, Texas John Slaughter,etc
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Geezer wrote:Guys that were in 6th grade during the Mickey Mouse club days knew who Annette was. She was the mousketeer with bumps in her sweater. This was a regular topic of admiring discussion on the playground back in the day.

Chilly Billy Cardille; Pittsburgh legend and Channel 11's man for all seasons. He did Studio Wrestling, and at times the wether, fill-in as weekend anchor, reporter in addition to Chiller Theater. When channel 11 did Steeler preseason football in the 70's he was at Three Rivers stadium at half time with Terminal Stare and some of the rest of his crew.

When I was overseas in the Army we used to get free movies shown at times. We were watching Night of the Living Dead and I'm shocked to see Bill Cardille playing a news reporter covering zombie attacks. I yelled to my buddies"That's Chilly Billy".Naturaaly they questioned who the bleep Chilly Billy was.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 am

blackjack68 wrote:So...not obscure?

Only to the incurious.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

I ran into our college's media relations/PR coordinator, who was looking at our local (well, Columbia, SC) paper...Funicello was above the fold, with 1/3 of the page and Thatcher was almost forgotten at the bottom of the page. She was flabbergasted. :lol: Very indicative of where our culture is nowadays.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am

If anyone ever watched more than a little bit of TCM over the last 15 years, one would have seen the Frankie & Annette movies a number of times over.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Does obscure mean something different than I think it means?

This woman was the face of the Mickey Mouse club in her younger years, starred (top or co-top billing) in several films and then...was the spokesperson for Skippy peanut butter. Just because you are unaware doesn't make her obscure.

Yeah, I don't understand it...but maybe I'm old. She was a one of a kind.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Geezer wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Chilly Billy Cardille; Pittsburgh legend and Channel 11's man for all seasons. He did Studio Wrestling, and at times the wether, fill-in as weekend anchor, reporter in addition to Chiller Theater. When channel 11 did Steeler preseason football in the 70's he was at Three Rivers stadium at half time with Terminal Stare and some of the rest of his crew.

When I was overseas in the Army we used to get free movies shown at times. We were watching Night of the Living Dead and I'm shocked to see Bill Cardille playing a news reporter covering zombie attacks. I yelled to my buddies"That's Chilly Billy".Naturaaly they questioned who the bleep Chilly Billy was.

My mom still tells me stories of Chilly Billy. Im pretty sure he hosts a local oldies show on radio around western pa.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:12 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
Geezer wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

My mom still tells me stories of Chilly Billy. Im pretty sure he hosts a local oldies show on radio around western pa.

I was on the same little league baseball team with his son.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to NHR