Could the big four (CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX) become cable channels?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Could the big four (CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX) become cable channels?

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/419745 ... in/2779059

In comments recorded by Bloomberg, Carey said that Fox and all its affiliate stations will stop broadcasting and move to cable in the event that Aereo is not shut down by the courts. "We need to be able to be fairly compensated for our content," Carey told other executives. "This is not an ideal path we look to pursue, but we can’t sit idly by and let an entity steal our signal. We will move to a subscription model if that’s our only recourse."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575787 ... nly-model/

Leslie Moonves, the chief executive officer of CBS, told the Times today that he "wholeheartedly supported what Chase said" and that his network had held talks with cable operators about taking its signal off the air. CBS, as well as the other broadcast networks, are in litigation with satellite TV provider Dish Network over the legality of its ad-skipping technology.

This is going to get really interesting for a number of reasons. Most people won't care, as they get all of their programming via MSO like Time Warner or DirecTV. But the issue is that the networks are considering stopping over the air broadcasts (bunny ears) because of the threats they perceive in the Dish Network Hopper and the personal Slingbox style service Aereo.

The government/FCC "owns" the airwaves and they let the broadcasters use them provided they follow some provisions that serve the public good. It will be interesting to see what kind of fight they put up should a major network decide to cease broadcasting and become cable channels. On one hand, the networks are supposed to providing public services and information dissemination. Is that still needed in the newspaperless internet era?

There are also companies like Verizon, TMobile, Cisco, etc who will line up to pay huge sums for the rights to use the radio spectrum the big four are currently occupying.

I still use an aerial for local broadcasts - its just simply higher quality. I also like using it to watch tv outside when the weather permits. But I can't say I would mind too much. I think wireless internet services would be helped greatly by this.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Could the big four (CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX) become cable channe

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I haven't used OTA since I was a kid
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 pm

There are so many things it could change. Without the FCC's oversight as a broadcast entity they could radically change their programming to allow the sorts of stuff you find on AMC or FX.

Or it could devolve into TLC.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/4197450/news-corp-threatens-to-shut-down-fox-broadcasts-if-aereo-stays-open/in/2779059

In comments recorded by Bloomberg, Carey said that Fox and all its affiliate stations will stop broadcasting and move to cable in the event that Aereo is not shut down by the courts. "We need to be able to be fairly compensated for our content," Carey told other executives. "This is not an ideal path we look to pursue, but we can’t sit idly by and let an entity steal our signal. We will move to a subscription model if that’s our only recourse."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575787 ... nly-model/

Leslie Moonves, the chief executive officer of CBS, told the Times today that he "wholeheartedly supported what Chase said" and that his network had held talks with cable operators about taking its signal off the air. CBS, as well as the other broadcast networks, are in litigation with satellite TV provider Dish Network over the legality of its ad-skipping technology.

This is going to get really interesting for a number of reasons. Most people won't care, as they get all of their programming via MSO like Time Warner or DirecTV. But the issue is that the networks are considering stopping over the air broadcasts (bunny ears) because of the threats they perceive in the Dish Network Hopper and the personal Slingbox style service Aereo.

The government/FCC "owns" the airwaves and they let the broadcasters use them provided they follow some provisions that serve the public good. It will be interesting to see what kind of fight they put up should a major network decide to cease broadcasting and become cable channels. On one hand, the networks are supposed to providing public services and information dissemination. Is that still needed in the newspaperless internet era?

There are also companies like Verizon, TMobile, Cisco, etc who will line up to pay huge sums for the rights to use the radio spectrum the big four are currently occupying.

I still use an aerial for local broadcasts - its just simply higher quality. I also like using it to watch tv outside when the weather permits. But I can't say I would mind too much. I think wireless internet services would be helped greatly by this.

Won't happen until the ratings systems change. National advertising is what drives TV revenue, and carriage is what drives the local agreements. They all sell national spots on the reach basis, so until paid TV has the same reach as the OTA's, its never going to change.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

They would lose their air license and it would be sold to someone else who would then replace them as a major network.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:17 pm

People watch ABC?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:They would lose their air license and it would be sold to someone else who would then replace them as a major network.

I don't think anyone could come in and start a new OTA network, there's too many rules and no way to make money.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 pm

DelPen wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:They would lose their air license and it would be sold to someone else who would then replace them as a major network.

I don't think anyone could come in and start a new OTA network, there's too many rules and no way to make money.

You could make money by making a new OTA 24/7 news network and licensing slots for the local affiliates. You don't have to spend money on producing crappy shows and paying for NFL licenses.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
DelPen wrote:

You could make money by making a new OTA 24/7 news network and licensing slots for the local affiliates. You don't have to spend money on producing crappy shows and paying for NFL licenses.

I think crappy is being too nice.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 pm

A wireless data connection provider would bid much higher than I think anyone else could.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

These idiots are blowing smoke and hoping nobody sees what is behind the curtain. The simple fact is that cable channels are already producing shows that are much higher quality than anything on the networks. Despite that, they are getting viewers in the range of 2-4 million for hit shows in comparison of 12-14 million for the networks. This disparity strictly from the fact that they are a free broadcast and have a much higher penetration rate in terms of households. No longer free, no longer have that user base. No longer have that user base, no longer have that draw for advertisers. No longer have the draw for advertisers, no longer get the money from advertisers. The networks have been making a killing based on advertising dollars because everyone, everywhere can get that progamming. If they eliminate that, they need to make money on their own merits, and based on recent history, they don't stand a chance.

I welcome these morons making this decision, and then trying to justify to their board of directors why they are 8th in network viewership behind HBO, Showtime, USA, A&E, etc. How they are planning to pay their executives without all those advertising dollars. Why their flagships shows went from 14 million viewers to 2 million. Why their reality programming isn't making crap on a channel that people have to pay for...

These idiots have been living in fantasy land for too long.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 pm

sigwolf laying down the hammer
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:sigwolf laying down the hammer