Georgia HS students holding first ever integrated prom

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Georgia HS students holding first ever integrated prom

Postby jprolley on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 am

They also still have segregated proms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 13733.html

'Murica.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Georgia HS students holding first ever integrated prom

Postby count2infinity on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:23 am

At first I thought it was that they were allowing gay couples to come to prom together, and I thought, "Wow, that's pretty progressive for the South." I didn't think there were 'Black Proms' and 'White Proms' anywhere in America anymore.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 am

A fine example of The New South. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 am

On the general subject of integration, I find the south to be *much* more so, than say PGH.
My street/neighborhood is about half and half and Savannah is 60% African American. Which isn't to say that there aren't all white (rich) and all black (poor) neighborhoods.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 am

columbia wrote:On the general subject of integration, I find the south to be *much* more so, than say PGH.
My street/neighborhood is about half and half and Savannah is 60% African American. Which isn't to say that there aren't all white (rich) and all black (poor) neighborhoods.

Yeah, I've mentioned this to other people. Whites and blacks largely live in many of the same neighborhoods/areas in the South. As you said, there are instances where there are white rich and poor black neighborhoods, but by and large, the cities are very integrated.

In the northeast, whites and blacks are almost completely segregated. I find PLENTY of racism in my area, and across the northeast, even if it isn't necessarily as verbalized or outspoken as it is where it is found in the South. Obviously this story is hideous, and kudos to the students of both races that fought for this.

It's definitely not always as simple as "South = racist rednecks, North = happy, tolerant, integrated modern people". In many ways, racism up here is even uglier sometimes.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dbizzle66 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:On the general subject of integration, I find the south to be *much* more so, than say PGH.

Yeah, I've mentioned this to other people. Whites and blacks largely live in many of the same neighborhoods/areas in the South. As you said, there are instances where there are white rich and poor black neighborhoods, but by and large, the cities are very integrated.

In the northeast, whites and blacks are almost completely segregated. I find PLENTY of racism in my area, and across the northeast, even if it isn't necessarily as verbalized or outspoken as it is where it is found in the South. Obviously this story is hideous, and kudos to the students of both races that fought for this.

It's definitely not always as simple as "South = racist rednecks, North = happy, tolerant, integrated modern people". In many ways, racism up here is even uglier sometimes.

Excellent points. The divisions along economic lines often trump the racial divides in the south. Racism is of a different flavor up here.
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:27 am

Admin
Site Admin

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 am

Pretty crazy. Never would have even known this still went on. Like c2i, at first I was thinking a gays/straight prom and was like wow (for GA).
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgoalpens on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:26 pm

There is a really cool documentary called "prom night in Mississippi" that talks about this subject. I went to high school in Georgia and lived in a pretty small/medium size town. My senior prom in 1998 I went with my black girlfriend and we had no issues at all. Everybody liked her and she was even voted homecoming queen.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:12 pm

How was this not a story in 2012, or 2011, or 2010... plenty times that a distracting story about race was needed. As admin says, 2013?
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR