Boston Marathon Bombings

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boston Marathon Bombings

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07 am

Can somebody translate this law into laymans terms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiterror ... ct_of_1996
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Can somebody translate this law into laymans terms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiterror ... ct_of_1996

Does this help: http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/96-499.htm
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 am

Geezer wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I take that back. Geezer is behaving normally (for him) as well.

That's two.If you want to start a flamethrowing contest let me know and I'll lower myself to your standard. Differing from your views equates bile. So normal behavior for you is making juvenile comments?

Having different views is neither here nor there. Staking a claim to this thread as the venue to express those views is loathsome.

A thread like this is going to garner much more widespread interest than the PDT, and from many who choose to opt out of the PDT specifically to avoid political mud slinging. Which is why the PDT exists in the first place; it provides a cone of silence for those of us who enjoy that kind of discussion without polluting the rest of the board.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 am

Jane Harmon on NPR now intimating right-wing anti gun control extremists most likely the culprits...
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 am

Factorial wrote:Jane Harmon on NPR now intimating right-wing anti gun control extremists most likely the culprits...

something else i just considered this morning was that yesterday was tax day.

i can try wrapping my head around attacking a federal building if you hate the federal government. attacking a marathon, not so much.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 am

Factorial wrote:Jane Harmon on NPR now intimating right-wing anti gun control extremists most likely the culprits...

Par for the course.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

mac5155 wrote:

Par for the course.

Well, her husband did at one time make good stereo equipment.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 am

So FBI says nothing new, either by choice because it will ruin the investigation and leads they do have or they really have no idea how this happened, so people in the media now need to fill 20 hours of news coverage.

90% of everything you hear for awhile will turn out to be wrong.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 am

I hate people that try to politicize an issue while it is still bleeding.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:01 am

Rylan wrote:I hate people that try to politicize an issue while it is still bleeding.

That is the new America.

12 years ago we banded together as one. Now we are more divisive than ever. Draw your own conclusions as to why.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 am

Some gun rights activists are basically exploiting this as well, with ill concived "ban bombs" jokes.

Heaven forbid people on either side of the argument respect the victims of the bombing right now. Got to push your own agenda first and foremost. :face:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 am

Rossi's tweet from Pens practice:

"Appears beefed up police at #pens practice, including officers with at least 2 dogs."

And I'm guessing some a**clown must have called a bomb threat into the Consol. Sigh...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

llipgh2 wrote:Rossi's tweet from Pens practice:

"Appears beefed up police at #pens practice, including officers with at least 2 dogs."

And I'm guessing some a**clown must have called a bomb threat into the Consol. Sigh...

This has been a phenomenon around the world of sports in general. Every sporting event has ramped up security in the 20 or so hours since this incident occurred. I fully expect security to be extremely strict for the remainder of the year.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

Rylan wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Rossi's tweet from Pens practice:

This has been a phenomenon around the world of sports in general. Every sporting event has ramped up security in the 20 or so hours since this incident occurred. I fully expect security to be extremely strict for the remainder of the year.

I'm thinking this is more out of fear of a copycat bombing.

I get the ramped up security, but the next time there is a terrorist attack, it will probably be another high profile but totally unexpected place/event.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

LaGuardia Airport in NYC evacuated after suspicious package found.
Probaly a bag someone left behind by accident.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

llipgh2 wrote:

Some gun rights activists are basically exploiting this as well, with ill concived "ban bombs" jokes.

Heaven forbid people on either side of the argument respect the victims of the bombing right now. Got to push your own agenda first and foremost. :face:

Not to get off course, but bombs are banned. Those people are morons.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Patton Oswalt wrote:Boston. ****** horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 pm

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 6-12-13-07

Latest info claims pressure cookers were used to make the bombs. Same MO as the 2010 attempt in Times Square and often used in Afghanistan and Iraq for IED's.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Rylan wrote:I hate people that try to politicize an issue while it is still bleeding.

It's obnoxious. It's a race to see who can slander the other side first. This is a tragedy done by a sick person, it won't be the last. There's no need to speculate until all the facts are given and it's nothing but speculation until more info is released. I hate it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm

DelPen wrote:http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BOSTON_MARATHON_EXPLOSIVES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-16-12-13-07

Latest info claims pressure cookers were used to make the bombs. Same MO as the 2010 attempt in Times Square and often used in Afghanistan and Iraq for IED's.

One of the things that crossed my mind a little while after hearing this was the worry that it might be an unstable vet who had knowledge of those devices. I'm not speculating on that point, just saying that it would almost be a double tragedy if something like that were to turn out to be true.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm

The marathon is always held on Patriot Day, which is a New England (MA only?) holiday. Growing up in MA, the marathon and Patriot Day were always the real beginning of Spring (not in March). Or at least the beginning of the end of snow, cold, and gloom of winter.

Other than that, I don't have much to add to this thread.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm

They have released the little boy's photo. Such a boy; wearing his bruins jersey. :cry: Very sad.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Saudi Embassy in DC says no Saudis are being held in connection with this, according to ABC
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:25 pm

penny lane wrote:They have released the little boy's photo. Such a boy; wearing his bruins jersey. :cry: Very sad.

Sadder was the pic of him with a sign he made (not sure what for): The sign read:

"No More Hurting People. Peace." And there was peace symbol and hearts on it.

I choked up when I saw it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR