Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Chanting "USA" appears to imply a known set of motives (by the perpetrators).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,348
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 pm

columbia wrote:Chanting "USA" appears to imply a known set of motives (by the perpetrators).


While I agree with your sentiment, I find it interesting that the phrase "Boston Strong" don't evoke the same set of emotions. :pop:

I get the slight taste of Jingoism from the "USA" chants, and pride from the "Boston Strong" sentiments... totally different reactions.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby ulf on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 pm

columbia wrote:Chanting "USA" appears to imply a known set of motives (by the perpetrators).

Yeah to kill a lot of Americans.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,731
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 pm

I don't recall anyone chanting "USA" after Timothy McVeigh was apprehended.
(I could be wrong on that; I just remember that sort of reaction.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,348
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:23 pm

columbia wrote:I don't recall anyone chanting "USA" after Timothy McVeigh was apprehended.
(I could be wrong on that; I just remember that sort of reaction.)


Outside of international sporting events, I think it's kind of a recent development.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:23 pm

ulf wrote:
columbia wrote:Chanting "USA" appears to imply a known set of motives (by the perpetrators).

Yeah to kill a lot of Americans.


They certainly meant to kill a lot of people.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,348
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:28 pm

columbia wrote:
ulf wrote:
columbia wrote:Chanting "USA" appears to imply a known set of motives (by the perpetrators).

Yeah to kill a lot of Americans.


They certainly meant to kill a lot of people.


Correct. Of that there can be no question.

It's too early in the investigation to say it was (or wasn't) an attack on Americans, non-muslims, or just a senseless killing ala Columbine, Aurora or Sandy Hook. We just don't know.

We know that they were Chechnian. We know the older brother was a devote Muslim, but we haven't uncovered a manifesto or anything to tell us their motives... at least that I know of.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Tomas on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:28 pm

doublem wrote:
ulf wrote:Yeah heaven forbid you have some pride in your country for catching terrorists. Give it up.


so explain to me what you are proud of? you realize being an American is an accident of birth right? I'm guessing you were born here. are you happy to be an american which is different? and have these people actually done anything for the victims besides get drunk on a Saturday night at a ball game and chant USA? If you want to make a difference do something


So doublem=Chad Daniels? :lol:
(11:10-15:00), NSFW

Incidentally - let me know whom you want me to challenge... 8-)

Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,267
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Chanting USA after something like this is embarrassing its in a similar vein of stupid like saying 9/11 happened because "Terrorist hate how free we are"
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Tomas wrote:
doublem wrote:
ulf wrote:Yeah heaven forbid you have some pride in your country for catching terrorists. Give it up.


so explain to me what you are proud of? you realize being an American is an accident of birth right? I'm guessing you were born here. are you happy to be an american which is different? and have these people actually done anything for the victims besides get drunk on a Saturday night at a ball game and chant USA? If you want to make a difference do something


So doublem=Chad Daniels? :lol:
(11:10-15:00), NSFW

Incidentally - let me know whom you want me to challenge... 8-)

Spoiler:


So... just wondering Tomas... if I'm putting my citizenship on the line, what (of equal value) are you wagering? :)
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby skullman80 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I don't think its embarrassing at all.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,016
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Tomas on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Tomas wrote:
doublem wrote:
ulf wrote:Yeah heaven forbid you have some pride in your country for catching terrorists. Give it up.


so explain to me what you are proud of? you realize being an American is an accident of birth right? I'm guessing you were born here. are you happy to be an american which is different? and have these people actually done anything for the victims besides get drunk on a Saturday night at a ball game and chant USA? If you want to make a difference do something


So doublem=Chad Daniels? :lol:
(11:10-15:00), NSFW

Incidentally - let me know whom you want me to challenge... 8-)

Spoiler:


So... just wondering Tomas... if I'm putting my citizenship on the line, what (of equal value) are you wagering? :)


If I ever do that, I think I'll go after people for whom sammich, 'Merkin, and honey-ooo are the regular part of their vocabulary. For that, I don't think I need to cross the boundaries of my home state. :)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,267
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Someone I know just posted this to their FB wall:

"BOSTON BOMBING UPDATE........Dzhokhar under sedation. Tamerlan feeling a little run down." :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm

So apparently 19 suffered a gunshot wound to the neck/throat area and cannot speak. It's unknown if this was self-inflicted or if it happened in the exchanges of fire with police.

They are also unsure if his inability to speak is because of that gunshot wound, or because they're keeping him under heavy sedation. Regardless, he probably won't be Mirandized until they can interview him for good several hours.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,022
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:23 pm

tifosi77 wrote:So apparently 19 suffered a gunshot wound to the neck/throat area and cannot speak. It's unknown if this was self-inflicted or if it happened in the exchanges of fire with police.


Something seems amiss to me about this. Please understand, I'm NOT suggesting a conspiracy.

Image

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is seen on this surveillance image before his capture and arrest. (credit: Handout)


http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/19/boston-marathon-suspect-shot-dead/

Seems odd that he'd be able to step down out of that boat if he'd been shot in the throat.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm

count2infinity wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:What in the world could have happened to these brothers that radicalized them to this extent?

The 26 year old went back over to Chechnyia, or Russia or one of the Caucases and spent six months there recently. I don't get how he didn't come back recognizing the opportunity differences between the two nations.

I'm not trying to rah-rah the US here,mi know there are MANY other great places in this world,must I just don't understand why they had such hate for a country that by all accounts, was good to them.

The other thing is that they left no manifesto, no public proclaimation, they gave no indication as to the point they were trying to make.

So many questions for me. Trying to understand these dynamics will help to potentially lessen the possiblity of similar future events.


I don't even want to try to understand the mind of this guy. While saying that, I fully understand the need to do so and try to prevent this from happening in the future, but the less that I personally know about what went on in this kid's mind the better, or at least I think so. I'll leave it to the authorities to do that.

The STRANGEST part of this is, I just spent a little bit of time looking at the 19 year olds twitter: References to popular song, complaining about studying, re-tweeting "Men's Humor" and other comic accounts, talking about partying on weekends, girls, hanging with friends, talking about shows like breaking bad, etc...... It looks JUST like any random 19 year old college kids facebook or Twitter. His story line really doesn't seem to match up with anyone else who has done such a thing (usually either international radical organization or a society outcast)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,916
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby count2infinity on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I think people are putting too much thought into the whole USA chant thing. When you're at large events like that, it's very easy to get any chant going without really meaning anything. If you really think they were chanting USA, USA, USA thinking 'Merika, f#@! yeah! We're the best! Then I don't know what to tell you. What were they supposed to chant? "CAUGHT THE BOMBER! *clap clap* *clapclapclap*"
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,162
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Guinness on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

count2infinity wrote:What were they supposed to chant? "CAUGHT THE BOMBER! *clap clap* *clapclapclap*"


Actually I think that's kind of catchy.

;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Guinness wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:So apparently 19 suffered a gunshot wound to the neck/throat area and cannot speak. It's unknown if this was self-inflicted or if it happened in the exchanges of fire with police.


Something seems amiss to me about this. Please understand, I'm NOT suggesting a conspiracy.

Image

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is seen on this surveillance image before his capture and arrest. (credit: Handout)


http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/19/boston-marathon-suspect-shot-dead/

Seems odd that he'd be able to step down out of that boat if he'd been shot in the throat.

If you look at these two photos (spoilered for mild blood)

Spoiler:
Image
Image

it appears that the bleeding is indeed coming from his neck and face area, and in the first image it looks as if they are administering something to the guy's throat.

Believe it or not, it is actually fairly common for people attempting suicide by putting the gun barrel in their mouth to not actually do any life-threatening damage. I don't remember the statistic, but I read about 20 years ago that this method of suicide had something like a 25% failure rate.

The gun is twisted in your hand, the trigger pull is going to pull the gun even more sideways, there's a possibility that the gun might be pointed somewhat downward........ hate referring to a movie here, but you end up with a blown out sinus and a hole below your ear looking a lot more like Edward Norton at the end of "Fight Club" than you do like Budd Dwyer. (Altho RBD had the gun in his mouth.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,022
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm

count2infinity wrote:I think people are putting too much thought into the whole USA chant thing. When you're at large events like that, it's very easy to get any chant going without really meaning anything. If you really think they were chanting USA, USA, USA thinking 'Merika, f#@! yeah! We're the best! Then I don't know what to tell you. What were they supposed to chant? "CAUGHT THE BOMBER! *clap clap* *clapclapclap*"


Would they have chanted "USA", had the suspects been Irish dudes from Southey?
The fact that they were "new" Americans, made them less so?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,348
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby count2infinity on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm

columbia wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I think people are putting too much thought into the whole USA chant thing. When you're at large events like that, it's very easy to get any chant going without really meaning anything. If you really think they were chanting USA, USA, USA thinking 'Merika, f#@! yeah! We're the best! Then I don't know what to tell you. What were they supposed to chant? "CAUGHT THE BOMBER! *clap clap* *clapclapclap*"


Would they have chanted "USA", had the suspects been Irish dudes from Southey?
The fact that they were "new" Americans, made them less so?


oh wow... is the reason people are upset about the USA chant because these people are recent immigrants? I didn't even think about that. I'm willing to bet that if I didn't even think about it until you said it, a large number of the people that were chanting it didn't even think about that, they just went with the chant.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,162
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby thepittman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:18 pm

count2infinity wrote:yeah, the death penalty is the kind way to go with this kid. let him stay in jail the rest of his life.

I agree, all those years is solitary would most likely be the worst imaginable punishment.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Guinness wrote:
count2infinity wrote:What were they supposed to chant? "CAUGHT THE BOMBER! *clap clap* *clapclapclap*"


Actually I think that's kind of catchy.

;)


"FLYAHS SUCK! FLYAHS SUCK! FLYAHS SUCK!"

:)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:20 pm

count2infinity wrote:oh wow... is the reason people are upset about the USA chant because these people are recent immigrants? I didn't even think about that. I'm willing to bet that if I didn't even think about it until you said it, a large number of the people that were chanting it didn't even think about that, they just went with the chant.


Sadly, the overwhelming majority of the USA rah rah stuff I'm seeing on FB is definitely because the criminals were immigrants. I've seen people saying we need to deport everyone not born in the USA and calling the bombers "Koranimals", etc.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby doublem on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 pm

this makes no sense, the dude was american so chanting USA makes it seem like you are at battle with someone else. some other country. no one won anything here.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dickie Dunn, DudeMan2766, Firebird, JS©, NashvilleCat, PghSkins, tjand72 and 10 guests

e-mail