Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Aaron Katersky ‏@AaronKatersky 28m Tsarnaev brothers apparently planned to drive to NYC and set off their remaining explosives in Times Square, ABC News has learned.Retweeted by Kevin Paul Dupont
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

penny lane wrote:
Aaron Katersky ‏@AaronKatersky 28m Tsarnaev brothers apparently planned to drive to NYC and set off their remaining explosives in Times Square, ABC News has learned.Retweeted by Kevin Paul Dupont

Yeah, good luck with that... did you see a picture of Times Square after the bombings?

EPP who will be travelling exactly 8 blocks south of there in a few hours.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:54 pm

^ donut shop in the area ? ;) bad joke.
These 2 evil folks cause grief and terror with little planning. Who knows what would have happened if the other brother lived and they continued in the stolen SUV. Did police speak to the owner?
The death of the MIT security person, not in vain if it caused the brothers to be outed .
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:35 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Suspects mother doesn't believe her boys did this. I guess that kid was just heavily drugged up when he admitted to it and told investigators why they did it and how

An admission that is potentially worth eff all if it was made during the public safety exception period (before he was Mirandized).

He said they were readers of Inspire, an online magazine believed to be published by Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, and that's where they learned how to make bombs.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Doesn't she also believe that her son is still alive too?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Doesn't she also believe that her son is still alive too?

No, I think she knows he is dead, but she thinks that he was set up and they killed him for no reason.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:07 pm

canaan wrote:http://www.getonhand.com/blogs/news/7743337-boston-bombing-suspect-shootout-pictures

I'm really curious as to what I would do if I was in this guy's position. I know for a fact that I would have my weapons near me at all times if I was in Watertown. Wonder what the ramifications would be of putting a .308 round in his dome piece from my attic?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 pm

mac5155 wrote:
canaan wrote:http://www.getonhand.com/blogs/news/7743337-boston-bombing-suspect-shootout-pictures

I'm really curious as to what I would do if I was in this guy's position. I know for a fact that I would have my weapons near me at all times if I was in Watertown. Wonder what the ramifications would be of putting a .308 round in his dome piece from my attic?

That's actually an interesting (and fascinating) question. A trained shooter could have easily taken out both of those guys quickly, and completely ended the standoff right there. To be honest, I'm not sure how you would be treated. Instinctively, I think you would be treated as a hero, but that's a great question.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I bet everyone thinks you're a hero and you still go to prison.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 pm

I don't think you get prosecuted, and worst case, if you do and are convicted, presidential pardon.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I bet everyone thinks you're a hero and you still go to prison.

This is my thought. It would be up to a jury to decide whether or not I was acting in self defense. I would guess they would say I was, however do I have the right to use lethal force with regards to something going on outside of my house, in a public roadway? Maybe if the guy was on my lawn it'd be easier to determine. I know for a fact I could take at least one of them out. I mean, I have hit moving deer at 200 yards away just standing in a field. Adrenaline might make it worse though, or just the fact that you're about to kill another human being.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

slappybrown wrote:I don't think you get prosecuted, and worst case, if you do and are convicted, presidential pardon.

Yeah, I definitely don't see you facing any punishment for it. I would imagine you would probably get a hero's welcome, perhaps even a medal for bringing the perps down before they could hurt more police officers/people.

Although, with where the shootout took place (one of the most liberal enclaves in the country), it's doubtful anyone had guns to even use against them along that street.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:50 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I bet everyone thinks you're a hero and you still go to prison.

This is my thought. It would be up to a jury to decide whether or not I was acting in self defense. I would guess they would say I was, however do I have the right to use lethal force with regards to something going on outside of my house, in a public roadway?

I was actually listening to an NPR podcast last night on the way home and was thinking exactly about this scenario; if I was the dude taking those pics and I had a gun, would I have opened fire? Obviously can't say for sure, but you can bet your damn skippy that I would like to think I would have.

Not sure about the specifics of MA law, but the instant they chucked a freaking bomb down the street, all previously conceived notions of what constituted a 'direct threat' to my safety would, imo, be immediately neutered and rendered obsolete.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:01 pm

In many states, the same principles for the use of lethal force for self-defense also apply to using lethal force for the defense of another. For example, under 18 Pa.C.S. § 506 you can use lethal force against someone attacking another person whenever that person would be justified in using lethal force himself or herself. So you should theoretically be justified in shooting someone who is engaged in a shootout with the police, as the police certainly would be justified in the use of lethal force under those circumstances.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:07 pm

LOL, my first thought is what would the police do if they saw muzzle flashes coming from your window.

After you shoot, it might get interesting for you. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby BigMcK on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm

On thing is for certain, you would want to get away from the window as quickly as possible if they turned their attention to you, or the police considered you as an equal threat for shooting from a window.

Edit: EPP beat me to the same thoughts.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:LOL, my first thought is what would the police do if they saw muzzle flashes coming from your window.

gr8 point

it might not be the time time for vigilante justice. kenny the kangaroo supposes that maybe if the tsnarnevs ran into the house, they are safe to shoot.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:23 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:LOL, my first thought is what would the police do if they saw muzzle flashes coming from your window.

Yeah I'd definitely give 911 a quick heads up just in case. Lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:23 pm

What if you missed?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:34 pm

MRandall25 wrote:What if you missed?

Then oh well I guess. I doubt they would know that the gun blast came from the Window. Not bragging but I think I could have taken them both out with one shot if I was patient enough. I'm not trained but I have hit deer that were at 200 yards in a dead out run through a field.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Ha, shows what you know about sniping..... :P

Windows aren't ideal, of course (cos they're obvious), but you don't stick the gun out the window, you stay back in the room as far as you can and still have line-of-sight to the target. Preferably, this would all the way against the wall opposite the shoot window. Doing this also narrows the field of view of anyone attempting to identify your location. Given the situation - noise, confusion, etc - you might even be able to get off two or three shots without alerting the cops that fire is coming from a house.
:wink:

Aim better and take another shot.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Not to mention flash suppressors.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm

mac5155 wrote:

Then oh well I guess. I doubt they would know that the gun blast came from the Window. Not bragging but I think I could have taken them both out with one shot if I was patient enough. I'm not trained but I have hit deer that were at 200 yards in a dead out run through a field.

Oh well, unless the bullet hits someone in a house in the background.

If you nailed them you'd be a hero though, and most likely face no repurcussions.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:07 pm

shawn thornton - good guy. on his 4th hospital visit of the day supporting these guys
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Is that Bauman?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR