Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing: Thread #2

Postby tifosi77 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Be honest, I almost feel bad for these kids. Based on the information I've read (which, early days and all, may eventually prove completely inaccurate) it seems like their buddy came to them and said, "Hey I'm in deep do do and need help. Can you toss my backpack and laptop in the trash?" or something equally pedestrian. For all these guys knew, 19 was downloading too much pr0n. There's no indication at this stage that they even suspected 19 had anything to do with the bombing; it was just their buddy coming to them for help.

Regardless, the obstruction charge is probably aimed at getting more information more so than a legit criminal complaint -- you tell us what you know, and we can make these charges disappear, that sort of thing. They've been in custody for something like 10 days already for immigration violations and have only just been charged with obstruction.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Should add that apparently two of the three lied to investigators about whether or not they had seen 19 since the bombing. That's considerably less sympathetic.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Michael Skolnik ‏@MichaelSkolnik 1h

3 held in Boston bombing tossed out items from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev dorm room at his request (backpack with fireworks + laptop) - CNN

Michael Skolnik ‏@MichaelSkolnik 59m

Source: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev contacted the 3 arrested on Thurs or Fri after bombing & asked them to dispose of items.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Peter Doocy ‏@pdoocy 17m

Wow. 1 of 3 new suspects, Kadyrbayev, texted Tsarnaev to say he looked like bombing suspect after FBI photo release. Dzhokhar's reply: "lol"
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Nuke them. Nuke every last one of them.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 pm

This can't be true...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/01/new-boston-suspects-drove-car-with-terrorista-1-license-plates/

Two suspects who have been taken into custody in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings drove a car with “Terrorista #1″ printed on the front plate.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I saw that reported like 2 days after 19 was caught. I'd say that it's likely true.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:51 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I saw that reported like 2 days after 19 was caught. I'd say that it's likely true.

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for being a few weeks late to the party....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Nuke them. Nuke every last one of them.

:fist:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 pm

:D

Get with the times
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 pm

MRandall is my favorite new person here. New as in 9000 posts ago.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Okay, now I'm reading that the three friends proactively went to 19s dorm/apartment/whatever, found the empty fireworks and the laptop and took the decision themselves to chuck the stuff in the trash. That's a significantly different story than first reported, and paints the friends in a much harsher light.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 02, 2013 3:06 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, now I'm reading that the three friends proactively went to 19s dorm/apartment/whatever, found the empty fireworks and the laptop and took the decision themselves to chuck the stuff in the trash. That's a significantly different story than first reported, and paints the friends in a much harsher light.

Yeah, I read that yesterday and when I first felt bad they are going after those kids, the moment I read that part it made me think there is something not right with it. If they did what they are being accused of then they probably need to, at least, get the hell scared out of them by the FBI or the cops or whoever is dealing with them. I don't think they were involved, but if you suspect a friend may have been responsible for an even that gruesome, you need to let the authorities know and have them sort it out. They may have been 'just stupid', but they could have allowed the real suspect to get away. So yeah, their situation is more serious than I originally thought.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm

How were they caught? Has that story come out yet?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 02, 2013 3:35 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:How were they caught? Has that story come out yet?

Maybe it were the text messages at first, but I also read that their stories didn't match when interviewed. One of them said something happened at night and one said in the morning (I don't remember what it was but point is it didn't match).

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57582411/details-emerge-in-case-against-alleged-boston-bombers-friends/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

Maybe it were the text messages at first, but I also read that their stories didn't match when interviewed. One of them said something happened at night and one said in the morning (I don't remember what it was but point is it didn't match).
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57582411/details-emerge-in-case-against-alleged-boston-bombers-friends/

The merits of the case aside, this is a good example of why one should never, ever, ever speak with law enforcement under any circumstances.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

The merits of the case aside, this is a good example of why one should never, ever, ever speak with law enforcement under any circumstances.

Or, if you're going to lie, get your story straight :slug:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Especially when you're guilty as hell, but I guess that's not important.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby doublem on Thu May 02, 2013 9:13 pm

yes, never talk to cops, very important point.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri May 03, 2013 12:38 am

doublem wrote:yes, never talk to cops, very important point.

Something we agree on!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/07/justice/n ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Two guys sueing the NY Post for pasting their picture on the cover and saying Feds were looking for them when that wasn't the case.

NY Post reported a lot of false stuff during that bombing. I remember them continually reporting 12 dead.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:40 pm

newarenanow wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/07/justice/new-york-cover-suit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Two guys sueing the NY Post for pasting their picture on the cover and saying Feds were looking for them when that wasn't the case.

NY Post reported a lot of false stuff during that bombing. I remember them continually reporting 12 dead.

I was thinking a lot about this whole event last weekend. It was the 15th anniversary of a speech Matt Drudge (of the Drudge Report) gave to the Washington Press Club. It was not long after he shot to fame/infamy for exposing the Clinton affair.

Back then Drudge did more actual reporting than he does now, but there were a number of prepared questions asked of him - all very condescending about his research, sourcing, editing, etc. How can he run things if hes not sure they're true was the basis of most of the questions.

One point about the speech was how prophetic he was - he said in the future every citizen will be able to be a news reporter, and it will give the guy in the mailroom the same voice at the CEO of the company. Also interesting is how the mainstream media has become everything they accused him of being and doing that were disreputable.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/07/justice/new-york-cover-suit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I was thinking a lot about this whole event last weekend. It was the 15th anniversary of a speech Matt Drudge (of the Drudge Report) gave to the Washington Press Club. It was not long after he shot to fame/infamy for exposing the Clinton affair.

Back then Drudge did more actual reporting than he does now, but there were a number of prepared questions asked of him - all very condescending about his research, sourcing, editing, etc. How can he run things if hes not sure they're true was the basis of most of the questions.

One point about the speech was how prophetic he was - he said in the future every citizen will be able to be a news reporter, and it will give the guy in the mailroom the same voice at the CEO of the company. Also interesting is how the mainstream media has become everything they accused him of being and doing that were disreputable.

As a NY resident, I'm familiar with the NY Post on an almost daily basis. The NYP is most definitely NOT the mainstream media.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm

I guess I was talking more generally. Just a few things I remember

-CNN reporting an arrest was imminent early in the week. John King said he was dark skinned.
-CNN continuing to report they were Czech and from the Czech Republic
-AP was tweeting a suspect was about to be brought into federal court early that week
-The rest of the media running with that citing the AP as their source.
-The wildly varying number of deaths reported
-The entire library attack/fire/bombing
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR