2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 am

So, if they find something, Texas A&M should get a bowl ban given the precedent, no?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:48 am

Can't say I wouldn't sell my signature as well. it is not like they will ban him before his college career is done, too much money lost if they do that. They will just reggie bush him.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 am

does johnny football realize hes not going to make it in the nfl?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am

He plans on moving to Dallas to party down with Seguin.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:58 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:does johnny football realize hes not going to make it in the nfl?

The Raiders or Browns will draft him.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:58 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:does johnny football realize hes not going to make it in the nfl?

Some team will take a chance on him.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:So, if they find something, Texas A&M should get a bowl ban given the precedent, no?

If the coach or other staff had knowledge of it and did nothing like the situation at OSU then of course. Haven't heard anything about that being the case.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:54 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:38 pm

So if he is ruled ineligible, can he transfer to WVU for the 14-15 season? :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 pm

columbia wrote:So if he is ruled ineligible, can he transfer to WVU for the 14-15 season? :pop:

They take anyone, so probably.

They'd probably take Snowden, the Boston bombers, Aaryn from Big Brother, and Osama Bin Laden (if he weren't dead) as their transfer dream team.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 pm

columbia wrote:I think it's funny that he a "personal assistant."

Why? Seems reasonable to me.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm

For what its worth:

http://www.nfl.com/draft365/rankings

#22 overall prospect, regardless of class.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB

2nd round projection.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=708

7th ranked QB of draft-eligible players.

what a bargain
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Meh, the NCAA makes enough money off him. I know it's against the rules, but the rules are dumb.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tjand72 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 pm

slappybrown wrote:

Is it reasonable that a college student needs a personal assistant? Are you saying that a college student needs a personal assistant?
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:48 pm

newarenanow wrote:
columbia wrote:So if he is ruled ineligible, can he transfer to WVU for the 14-15 season? :pop:

They'd probably take Snowden, the Boston bombers, Aaryn from Big Brother, and Osama Bin Laden (if he weren't dead) as their transfer dream team.

I think they draw the line at guys who are major drug dealers though.. Unlike Pitt. :) :) :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I think they draw the line at guys who are major drug dealers though.. Unlike Pitt. :) :) :)

That was their roomate. He didn't play for Pitt! :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

That was their roomate. He didn't play for Pitt! :D

That's everyone's roommate in the inter-ghetto that is West Oakland. :) :) :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:34 am

I generally agree with this and we wouldn't see "scandals" over tattoos and autographs.

The Plot to Rule College Sports
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/opini ... c=rss&_r=0
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:52 am

Or maybe just allow players the rights to themselves. If they are wanted for advertisements, autographs, or anything else they should be allowed.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:43 am

tjand72 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Is it reasonable that a college student needs a personal assistant? Are you saying that a college student needs a personal assistant?

I'm talking about Manziel, and only Manziel. He's not a "college student" in any normal sense of the phrase. The number of speaking engagements, interview requests, personal apperances, autograph shows (paid or unpaid), etc., plus, you know, playing professional amateur football and being enrolled in classes is anything but a "normal" college experience. I'm not intending to convey pity -- its just reality. Particularly here, where it is pretty clear he and his family don't trust aTm and their SID at all.

We can continue this laughable fiction of "student-athlete" and doing all of this for the dear old alma mater, but the reality is that he's no different than any other professional athlete in terms of fame, and more akin to the upper echelon of NFL players in terms of notoriety; we can safely assume he's more famous than at least half of all NFL players. The only difference between him and a starting QB in the NFL is that (1) he doesn't get a paycheck and (2) Tom Brady has an agent, a manager, a personal assistant, a scheduler, a media rep, a public relations expert, and so on. Manziel has some flunky from home learning on the job.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 am

slappybrown wrote:I'm talking about Manziel, and only Manziel. He's not a "college student" in any normal sense of the phrase. The number of speaking engagements, interview requests, personal apperances, autograph shows (paid or unpaid), etc., plus, you know, playing professional amateur football and being enrolled in classes is anything but a "normal" college experience. I'm not intending to convey pity -- its just reality. Particularly here, where it is pretty clear he and his family don't trust aTm and their SID at all.

We can continue this laughable fiction of "student-athlete" and doing all of this for the dear old alma mater, but the reality is that he's no different than any other professional athlete in terms of fame, and more akin to the upper echelon of NFL players in terms of notoriety; we can safely assume he's more famous than at least half of all NFL players. The only difference between him and a starting QB in the NFL is that (1) he doesn't get a paycheck and (2) Tom Brady has an agent, a manager, a personal assistant, a scheduler, a media rep, a public relations expert, and so on. Manziel has some flunky from home learning on the job.

The media has built his image more than he has and really think they are to blame for this. Outside of Texas I dont think anyone really cares about him. If he was playing football in my back yard I'd close the blind.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I'm talking about Manziel, and only Manziel. He's not a "college student" in any normal sense of the phrase. The number of speaking engagements, interview requests, personal apperances, autograph shows (paid or unpaid), etc., plus, you know, playing professional amateur football and being enrolled in classes is anything but a "normal" college experience. I'm not intending to convey pity -- its just reality. Particularly here, where it is pretty clear he and his family don't trust aTm and their SID at all.

The media has built his image more than he has and really think they are to blame for this. Outside of Texas I dont think anyone really cares about him. If he was playing football in my back yard I'd close the blind.

I....what? I don't even understand what you are talking about. He was the best player in college football last year. The Alabama-A&M game was one of the best college games I've seen in years. He put up over 300 yards of offense (passing and rushing) against what amounts to an NFL defense.

He passed for 3700 yards and ran for 1400. If you don't think he's exciting to watch, I feel bad for you.

The hype machine surrrounding him is awful, like most anything ESPN harps on (LETS SEE WHAT LEBRON TWEETED ABOUT THE HAWKS CUP WIN!) but the dude is a hell of a college football player.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 am

I think people need to just accept that the media is what it is. that's like going to Florida and complaining about how hot it is, or going to NYC and complaining about the traffic.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

It's awfully hot in Georgia today.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 am

Troy Loney wrote:I think people need to just accept that the media is what it is. that's like going to Florida and complaining about how hot it is, or going to NYC and complaining about the traffic.

Agreed. I don't get it either. Manziel has his own issues contributing to his problems, but complaining about ESPN being obnoxious and over-exposing anything they cover (TEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOW) is a waste of breath.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR