2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am

columbia wrote:It's awfully hot in Georgia today.

GOOD.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am

@slappy Yes, I do think it's odd that an "amateur" athlete has his own PR lackey.
(Kind of like how you're always dropping NAN's name in conversation, just to gin up his LGP profile.)

Is he paying the guy with money he makes from autograph sessions?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:30 am

Maybe the guy is an intern, or the school provides this lackey.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am

columbia wrote:@slappy Yes, I do think it's odd that an "amateur" athlete has his own PR lackey.
(Kind of like how you're always dropping NAN's name in conversation, just to gin up his LGP profile.)

Its his friend from home if I recall from Wright Thompson's piece.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am

Troy Loney wrote:Maybe the guy is an intern.

Is he getting 3 hours credit each semester? :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am

columbia wrote:@slappy Yes, I do think it's odd that an "amateur" athlete has his own PR lackey.

Actually, I need an assistant to keep slappy away from me.

I'm pretty much the Johnny Football of LGP. I'm the guy all the girls want, and all the guys want to be like.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 am

newarenanow wrote:

I'm pretty much the Johnny Football of LGP. I'm the guy all the girls want, and all the guys want to be like.

Spoiler:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 am

considering the crew posting on this page, this gentleman feels obliged to chime in
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:59 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:considering the crew posting on this page, this gentleman feels obliged to chime in

The chair recognizes the gentleman from West Mifflin, Mr. Kangaroo, for five minutes.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:24 am

tino stinks
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 pm

slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I'm talking about Manziel, and only Manziel. He's not a "college student" in any normal sense of the phrase. The number of speaking engagements, interview requests, personal apperances, autograph shows (paid or unpaid), etc., plus, you know, playing professional amateur football and being enrolled in classes is anything but a "normal" college experience. I'm not intending to convey pity -- its just reality. Particularly here, where it is pretty clear he and his family don't trust aTm and their SID at all.

We can continue this laughable fiction of "student-athlete" and doing all of this for the dear old alma mater, but the reality is that he's no different than any other professional athlete in terms of fame, and more akin to the upper echelon of NFL players in terms of notoriety; we can safely assume he's more famous than at least half of all NFL players. The only difference between him and a starting QB in the NFL is that (1) he doesn't get a paycheck and (2) Tom Brady has an agent, a manager, a personal assistant, a scheduler, a media rep, a public relations expert, and so on. Manziel has some flunky from home learning on the job.

The media has built his image more than he has and really think they are to blame for this. Outside of Texas I dont think anyone really cares about him. If he was playing football in my back yard I'd close the blind.

I....what? I don't even understand what you are talking about. He was the best player in college football last year. The Alabama-A&M game was one of the best college games I've seen in years. He put up over 300 yards of offense (passing and rushing) against what amounts to an NFL defense.

He passed for 3700 yards and ran for 1400. If you don't think he's exciting to watch, I feel bad for you.

The hype machine surrrounding him is awful, like most anything ESPN harps on (LETS SEE WHAT LEBRON TWEETED ABOUT THE HAWKS CUP WIN!) but the dude is a hell of a college football player.

He's no Geno Smith. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think people need to just accept that the media is what it is. that's like going to Florida and complaining about how hot it is, or going to NYC and complaining about the traffic.

I dont agree with this. I haven't watched ESPN programming in about a year, unless they are airing a live event. If your sick of the media crap, change the channel.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Jets fans are ready to anoint Mr. Smith as the starter....not that they have too many options.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:27 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I think people need to just accept that the media is what it is. that's like going to Florida and complaining about how hot it is, or going to NYC and complaining about the traffic.

I dont agree with this. I haven't watched ESPN programming in about a year, unless they are airing a live event. If your sick of the media crap, change the channel.

That's my point.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:32 pm

You need to get over to your birthday thread and have some cake.....ESPN will give you indigestion.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I'm talking about Manziel, and only Manziel. He's not a "college student" in any normal sense of the phrase. The number of speaking engagements, interview requests, personal apperances, autograph shows (paid or unpaid), etc., plus, you know, playing professional amateur football and being enrolled in classes is anything but a "normal" college experience. I'm not intending to convey pity -- its just reality. Particularly here, where it is pretty clear he and his family don't trust aTm and their SID at all.

We can continue this laughable fiction of "student-athlete" and doing all of this for the dear old alma mater, but the reality is that he's no different than any other professional athlete in terms of fame, and more akin to the upper echelon of NFL players in terms of notoriety; we can safely assume he's more famous than at least half of all NFL players. The only difference between him and a starting QB in the NFL is that (1) he doesn't get a paycheck and (2) Tom Brady has an agent, a manager, a personal assistant, a scheduler, a media rep, a public relations expert, and so on. Manziel has some flunky from home learning on the job.

The media has built his image more than he has and really think they are to blame for this. Outside of Texas I dont think anyone really cares about him. If he was playing football in my back yard I'd close the blind.

I....what? I don't even understand what you are talking about. He was the best player in college football last year. The Alabama-A&M game was one of the best college games I've seen in years. He put up over 300 yards of offense (passing and rushing) against what amounts to an NFL defense.

He passed for 3700 yards and ran for 1400. If you don't think he's exciting to watch, I feel bad for you.

The hype machine surrrounding him is awful, like most anything ESPN harps on (LETS SEE WHAT LEBRON TWEETED ABOUT THE HAWKS CUP WIN!) but the dude is a hell of a college football player.

He's no Geno Smith. :pop:

Even allowing for the Big12's steadfast refusal to play defense, Smith was amazing last year, especially the first six games. Wasn't he like 24-2 TD/INT ratio at one point?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:32 pm

slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm

There are those (including here) who believe that a scholarship is sufficient compensation, although I'm not one of them.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:38 pm

I know, the other college football threads are filled with discussion on it. I think its nonsense.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:09 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Except Manziel wasn't wrong about all the rumors he breathless reported. He won the Heisman, you won the Sunseri.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:20 pm

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... ng-helmets

At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions. The video does not show Manziel accepting cash, which the broker alleges happened three times. The broker told ESPN that Manziel said he wanted money for new rims for his vehicle.

slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:26 pm

who doesnt want new rims for their vehicle
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 pm

slappybrown wrote:http://deadspin.com/reminder-johnny-manziel-may-not-profit-from-the-use-of-1043958657

STUDENT-ATHLETE

lololol, what a morally bankrupt organization:

http://deadspin.com/looks-like-theyve-r ... 1045257106

He's going to get cratered for selling his own signature, but the NCAA does crap like this.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 pm

columbia wrote:There are those (including here) who believe that a scholarship is sufficient compensation, although I'm not one of them.

I just fail to see how getting to attend a school for free that most people pay upwards of 20k a year for isn't enough compensation.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:51 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
columbia wrote:There are those (including here) who believe that a scholarship is sufficient compensation, although I'm not one of them.

I just fail to see how getting to attend a school for free that most people pay upwards of 20k a year for isn't enough compensation.

college football players are the 1%ers of the college population. and thats without getting paid.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR