2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 am

MRandall25 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:The cynic in me can't help but wonder if things would've turned out differently if Manziel was black. Probably would've gotten a 6 game suspension/

just like auburn really got in trouble when it was discovered that cam newton got paid?

I was thinking more like Dez Bryant getting suspended for 10 games for having dinner with Deion Sanders.

The Cam Newton thing was a fraud too.

Dez was suspended for lying to the NCAA, not for having dinner.

Considering he was arrested last year for domestic abuse, i wouldn't say that Dez was a poster child for god behavior.

And Manziel is?

Bar Fight < Beating your wife AMIRITE?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:43 am

That's not what I'm saying at all, but whatever.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Manziel strikes me as extremely immature, but what exactly has he done? He got into a bar fight at age 19, and uses a fake ID at 20? He was charged with failing to actively prevent someone from profiting from the use of his image or name, as apparently, the NCAA had no evidence showing he got paid anything to sign.

In that case, he should probably self-report Texas A&M and the NCAA for violating NCAA bylaws:

Buy the photo of Manziel so aTm/NCAA can make a profit in the course of reading the article where aTm/NCAA suspended Manziel for failing to stop others from selling his photo for profit. What a crock of ****.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 pm

open question:

how many games should manziel have gotten for his general jagoff behavior
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Bradley Roby and Carlos Hyde got 1 game and 3 game suspensions for bar fights/altercations, respectively, but these were imposed by Urban Meyer.

I just don't think that suspending Manziel for a half for selling autographs based on what Manziel told them (and not anything else) is a fair suspension. I believe it warrants at least 3 or 4, given his other off-the-field issues.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:37 pm

There was literally a 0.0% chance Manziel would be suspended for the Alabama game. We know where the NCAA's priorities are.

Here's a good read about Manziel and his family from DS:

http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-th ... 1040593220
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Labor Day game. First game in new conference. Nationally recognized opponent. Retirement ceremony for best player in the program in 30+ years.

And I'm getting emailed daily from Pitt struggling to sell the game out.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Bar Fight < Beating your wife AMIRITE?

this is why we can't have nice things...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Labor Day game. First game in new conference. Nationally recognized opponent. Retirement ceremony for best player in the program in 30+ years.

When they win they might sell out again. If they have 60k there which they should I consider that a success. Pitt never sold out old Pitt stadium either even when they were winning national championships and that place only seated 40k. This isn't OSU, or Michigan .... more of a pro town than a college town unless the college team is winning alot. I don't even know what the last sold out game was.. probably Larry Fitz when he was here and they played Miami in prime time. Maybe the Cinci game a few years ago when the Big East title was on the line?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 am

a.) pitt stadium seated 60K

b.) there were a few sellouts during wanny's last season. if not total sell outs, damn close. the cinci and ND games were both close to sell outs that year.

c.) kenny the kangaroo swears that last years gardner webb game was close to a sell out

in more serious discussion, kenny the kangaroo, like all pitt fans, reconizes that pitt can and will manage to do the wierdest things. so its very possible pitt has a change to win this game. a lot of things have to go right.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:25 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Labor Day game. First game in new conference. Nationally recognized opponent. Retirement ceremony for best player in the program in 30+ years.

They'll be pretty close. I'm not worried.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 am

at this point, kenny the kangaroo is totally over the pitt attendance talk. this program has so many embarassments over the past half decade that attendence is the least of this gentlemans worries. just put a halfway decent product on the field and hopefully it justifies the time and $$$ spent with this debacle of a program.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:30 am

I'm excited for the Penn State season to start tomorrow. I know there are no chances of championships or even contending in the foreseeable future, but I really like what Bill O'Brien did with the team last year, and can't wait to see what his freshmen QBs might do when they're seniors and bowl eligible (I think that's when they're allowed to play in a bowl again...)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 am

3:01 am finish to RU / Fresno State game last night...long Friday for me...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:49 am

I didnt get to see the game, only some highlights, but did anyone see that Clowney was totally out of shape and dogging it a good portion of that game last night?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I didnt get to see the game, only some highlights, but did anyone see that Clowney was totally out of shape and dogging it a good portion of that game last night?

I saw the highlights on sportscenter this morning. Seemed very non-enthused about the entire game, but to be fair to him, they showed 5 or 6 plays out of how many defensive plays? Also, he apparently is still getting over the flu or something like that? I'll give him the benefit of doubt for this first game.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 am

MRandall25 wrote:Bradley Roby and Carlos Hyde got 1 game and 3 game suspensions for bar fights/altercations, respectively, but these were imposed by Urban Meyer.

I just don't think that suspending Manziel for a half for selling autographs based on what Manziel told them (and not anything else) is a fair suspension. I believe it warrants at least 3 or 4, given his other off-the-field issues.

Do you really think that the NCAA didn't investigate the alleged payments? They didn't contact or speak with the brokers who claimed to ESPN they paid him? They did no digging and said sure Johnny, we believe you? Especially in light of how heavy-handed and stupid they generally are?

I know tOSU fans have a huge persecution complex in light of the Tressel tattoo scandals, and I generally think the NCAA is awful as you know, but why would he get 3 to 4 games? For what? What other off-the-field issues? The bar fight that happened two years ago? Arguing with people on twitter like an idiot?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

count2infinity wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I didnt get to see the game, only some highlights, but did anyone see that Clowney was totally out of shape and dogging it a good portion of that game last night?

I saw the highlights on sportscenter this morning. Seemed very non-enthused about the entire game, but to be fair to him, they showed 5 or 6 plays out of how many defensive plays? Also, he apparently is still getting over the flu or something like that? I'll give him the benefit of doubt for this first game.

Same here, I only saw what was on SC. But in true ESPN fashion, they probably skewed the truth to make it a bigger story than it was. Though there were a few plays that were pretty bad.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

newarenanow wrote:

I might have to get tickets for this.

I've talked myself into the whole freshman QB on the road = UPSET thing.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:14 am

slappybrown wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Haven't you learned your lesson in the past?
This is the kind of thinking that gets Pitt fans in trouble.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pfim on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:14 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

Same here, I only saw what was on SC. But in true ESPN fashion, they probably skewed the truth to make it a bigger story than it was. Though there were a few plays that were pretty bad.

They really focused on this during the broadcast, so much so that every time he didn't go full speed (no one goes full speed all the time) they were on him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 am

columbia wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Haven't you learned your lesson in the past?
This is the kind of thinking that gets Pitt fans in trouble.

Part of being a Pitt fan is artificially generated high expectations coupled with horrifying disasters that make me question my very being. ITS FUN!
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am

connecticut lost to towson lol
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 am

66. PITTSBURGH. What is there to say about a team that's finished three consecutive seasons in the BBVA Compass Bowl under three different head coaches? The Panthers are so terminally middle-of-the-road that they'd be easier to respect if they were just terrible.

http://deadspin.com/125-college-footbal ... 1222105193

PITT!
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 am

canaan wrote:connecticut lost to towson lol

Good.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner