2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--lat ... 22795.html

Amateurism is a bankrupt concept. It was invented by British aristocrats in the mid-1800s as a way to keep working-class athletes from succeeding at their elitist pursuits. Basically, as long as guys who had to labor in factories six days a week were worn out from the work and lacked time to practice, the rich guys who never dealt with such concerns would continue to be superior at sailing or dressage or cricket or whatever. So the bourgeoisie who didn't need the money declared it noble to play for no pay. How nice of them. Their true reasoning, of course, was to assure the continuation of their favored status on an uneven playing field of competition.

This detestable idea was later co-opted by the NCAA and the modern Olympic Games (the ancient Greek athletes were actually paid). The public was then repeatedly sold the idea of the innocence of amateurism and sold it well. This conveniently allowed the powerful administrators to control all the revenue produced.

Amateurism is a sham in practice, too, one that simply isn't being followed or respected, as story after story after story proves. So many of the athletes, players and administrators don't believe in it. That's the value of the coverage. It's made denying the extent of the violations laughable.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:25 am

Mountaineer LB (Former now), winds up in jail and is kicked off the football team.

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/201309120021

I guess he'll enroll at Pitt now. ;)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 am

slappybrown wrote:
Amateurism is a sham in practice, too, one that simply isn't being followed or respected, as story after story after story proves. So many of the athletes, players and administrators don't believe in it. That's the value of the coverage. It's made denying the extent of the violations laughable.


I'm sure you've elaborated on it in past posts, but what's your angle here? Do you think schools should be paying players or that boosters should be allowed to do whatever they want with their own money?

Amateurism is the only thing keeping schools like Northwestern on a level playing field with schools like Texas.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,573
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Mountaineer LB (Former now), winds up in jail and is kicked off the football team.

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/201309120021

I guess he'll enroll at Pitt now. ;)


No, crap flows down hill. Pitt rejects go to WVU, and WVU rejects will go to Marshall. :P
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,356
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Pitt is techically downhill from WVU.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

columbia wrote:Pitt is techically downhill from WVU.


Yeah right... it's not like there's a river that flows directly from Morgantown to Pittsburgh.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,050
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Good night, sweet prince...

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 pm

count2infinity wrote:
columbia wrote:Pitt is techically downhill from WVU.


Yeah right... it's not like there's a river that flows directly from Morgantown to Pittsburgh.


Someone took a geography at Pitt.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
columbia wrote:Pitt is techically downhill from WVU.


Yeah right... it's not like there's a river that flows directly from Morgantown to Pittsburgh.


Someone took a geography at Pitt.


The Monongahela flows north from West Virginia.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,694
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
columbia wrote:Pitt is techically downhill from WVU.


Yeah right... it's not like there's a river that flows directly from Morgantown to Pittsburgh.


Someone took a geography at Pitt.


The Monongahela flows north from West Virginia.


Yes...right into the Ohio river. It meets with the Allegheny River, in Pittsburgh.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:37 pm

I thought you were being sarcastic/condescending with the "Someone took geography at Pitt" post and implying he was wrong.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,694
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I'M NEVER WRONG!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,050
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Good night, sweet prince...

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I thought you were being sarcastic/condescending with the "Someone took geography at Pitt" post and implying he was wrong.


It was sarcastic/a joke. Here is the sequence of events.

EPP makes joke about Pitt, says people who can't hack WVU go to Pitt
NAN says that's not true and that the 'crap' flows downhill from Pitt to WVU to Marshall/
columbia took the most literal understanding of that comment, saying that WVU is of a higher elevation
c2i confirmed, saying that there is a river that flows from Morgantown to Pittsburgh
I made the joke that nan took a geography course at Pitt.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm

and then?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,050
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Good night, sweet prince...

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Wait a minute, you were making fun of me. FU!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,356
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm

count2infinity wrote:and then?

Image
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby newarenanow on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm

count2infinity wrote:and then?


EPP comes in, says everyone hates WVU, rips every school in the nation but WVU and then leaves.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,356
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

newarenanow wrote:
count2infinity wrote:and then?


EPP comes in, says everyone hates WVU, rips every school in the nation but WVU and then leaves.


Image
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,037
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: Forever in blue jeans

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:01 pm

newarenanow wrote:
count2infinity wrote:and then?


EPP comes in, says everyone hates WVU, rips every school in the nation but WVU and then leaves.

:face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I thought you were being sarcastic/condescending with the "Someone took geography at Pitt" post and implying he was wrong.


It was sarcastic/a joke. Here is the sequence of events.

EPP makes joke about Pitt, says people who can't hack WVU go to Pitt
NAN says that's not true and that the 'crap' flows downhill from Pitt to WVU to Marshall/
columbia took the most literal understanding of that comment, saying that WVU is of a higher elevation
c2i confirmed, saying that there is a river that flows from Morgantown to Pittsburgh
I made the joke that nan took a geography course at Pitt.


Quote better
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,694
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 pm

These jokes have become played out...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,216
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby relantel on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Was the slam geography or was the slam Pitt?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:22 pm

I made a bad joke, apparently. :?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:22 pm

relantel wrote:Was the slam geography or was the slam Pitt?


Slam geography. Is that anything like an Earthquake?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby relantel on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I made a bad joke, apparently. :?

don't know that it was a bad joke. I laughed. But if Pitt is the slam, I'm a little less disturbed.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Amateurism is a sham in practice, too, one that simply isn't being followed or respected, as story after story after story proves. So many of the athletes, players and administrators don't believe in it. That's the value of the coverage. It's made denying the extent of the violations laughable.


I'm sure you've elaborated on it in past posts, but what's your angle here? Do you think schools should be paying players or that boosters should be allowed to do whatever they want with their own money?

Amateurism is the only thing keeping schools like Northwestern on a level playing field with schools like Texas.

Excellent question.

If the big schools are smart, the rumored ACC-B10-SEC-Pac12-B12 breakaway -- but still within the NCAA -- happens before the entire system completely implodes from a mix of litigation, political pressure, and common sense. They (and other potential elites) can move into an FBS+ type division ("Division IV"), pay a stipend that keeps the athletes and courts off their backs, and prevents a fully free-market, professional type system from coming into play. I think that would collapse eventually too, but it buys them time and makes them more money than they would in a free market system. I don't know how you do that in basketball because the legitimate mid-majors there are more numerous/competitive.

Here's a good piece on the potential future:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... re-change/

Personally, I think the entire system of colleges running what amount to professional football and basketball franchise is probably untenable in the long run. I dislike believing this, because I love college football and its traditions, but its crazy that the schools themselves and their actual missions are now entirely overshadowed and overrun by athletics. This pretty much sums it up:

“Why,” asked Bryce Jordan, the president emeritus of Penn State, “should a university be an advertising medium for your industry?”

Vaccaro did not blink. “They shouldn’t, sir,” he replied. “You sold your souls, and you’re going to continue selling them. You can be very moral and righteous in asking me that question, sir,” Vaccaro added with irrepressible good cheer, “but there’s not one of you in this room that’s going to turn down any of our money. You’re going to take it. I can only offer it.”

William Friday, a former president of North Carolina’s university system, still winces at the memory. “Boy, the silence that fell in that room,” he recalled recently. “I never will forget it.” Friday, who founded and co-chaired two of the three Knight Foundation sports initiatives over the past 20 years, called Vaccaro “the worst of all” the witnesses ever to come before the panel.

But what Vaccaro said in 2001 was true then, and it’s true now: corporations offer money so they can profit from the glory of college athletes, and the universities grab it. In 2010, despite the faltering economy, a single college athletic league, the football-crazed Southeastern Conference (SEC), became the first to crack the billion-dollar barrier in athletic receipts. The Big Ten pursued closely at $905 million. That money comes from a combination of ticket sales, concession sales, merchandise, licensing fees, and other sources—but the great bulk of it comes from television contracts.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail