2013 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 LGP College Football Thread

Postby relantel on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:PSU probably still loses but the refs allowed 15-20 seconds to run off the clock after a player went out of bounds on UCF's last possession.

That run off simply prevented the inevitable, a failed drive late with 10 seconds left and no timeouts. Hard to get too broken up about it. More annoyed that PSU fumbled it away a play after Robinson would have scored a TD had he not been interfered with. They got the PI call, but their refusal to go for the jugular was annoying. So many predictable first-down runs. Not taking anything away from UCF (their defender did what he had to do to take away a sure TD, and they controlled the offensive line of scrimmage most of the night), but PSU's predictability and mistakes (hello tackling) makes it a deserving loss. Perhaps one they will learn from.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:55 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Agree to disagree then. The strength of the secondary this year was something fans were looking forward to since last season--there's a reason that Obeng-Agyapong, a fifth year graduate student who started every game in 2012 at the safety position, was passed over by not one but two other players. As for the front four..DaQuan Jones had 9 tackles and 3 TFLs...I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I agree with the "inferior competition" but the PSU schedule isn't exactly scary.

The only part of the defense that worries me is at the linebacker position, if only because the starting combination of Hull/Carson couldn't go one game without getting hurt.

I agree their schedule isnt very good, but they should start 5-0 and will likely lose to all 4 of the ranked teams they play. I'm just saying given the competition I expected a lot more pressure on the QB from Penn State's front 4. Barnes was almost non-existant and Olaniyan wasn't a factor. I think the secondary was the beneficiary of poor QB play which will definitely improve in conference. Agree to Disagree.

As I said after week 1, the Penn State D is really going to struggle this year. I didnt think it was going to come this early, but given the lack of top end talent it was inevitable. Until the sanctions are over it really doesnt matter any way.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Bo Pelini wrote:"Our crowd. What a bunch of ****ing fair-weather ****ing—they can all kiss my ass out the ****ing door. 'Cause the day is ****ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm ****ing gone. I'm so ****ing pissed off."

have fun watching from the couch on Saturdays, Bo :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:03 pm

He should apologize for those black jerseys.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:08 pm

I like that he called the fans out. Fans are a bunch of jerks.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:25 pm

That whole thing was 2 years ago. Pretty sure the statute of limitations should be over.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:43 pm

MRandall25 wrote:That whole thing was 2 years ago. Pretty sure the statute of limitations should be over.

Whomever had possession of the recording was very deliberate in their timing--there's a reason it wasn't released until yesterday.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:28 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:That whole thing was 2 years ago. Pretty sure the statute of limitations should be over.

Whomever had possession of the recording was very deliberate in their timing--there's a reason it wasn't released until yesterday.

Agree. This was timed for a reason.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Pelini is a jabroni, I hope he gets canned.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:36 pm

slappybrown wrote:Pelini is a jabroni, I hope he gets canned.

Yup. I actually made a random "Bo Pelini is a turd" comment in this thread on Saturday before I even knew about this story.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 pm

slappybrown wrote:Pelini is a jabroni, I hope he gets canned.

pitt intereviewed pelini when they hired wanny. kenny the kangaroo is glad that the super panthers hired wanny instead of pelini.

that says something about pelini.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CBear3 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 pm

It warms my heart that the Nebraska faithful can now see what a jack wagon Pellini is.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:05 pm

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/johnny-ma ... fl-future/

Saban paused a moment, put his bags down and made eye contact to make sure his point would be understood. “I think Johnny’s a unique player,” he said. “Many people have said about these guys, like [Robert Griffin III], that they’re not really NFL-style quarterbacks. But yet they’re all doing pretty well in the NFL.

“I think when somebody’s as instinctive as [Manziel] is, and as fast as he is, and as athletic as he is, and he’s developing into a pretty good passer—I mean last year he really developed as a passer—I do think he has an NFL future.”

He and Wilson also share one of the most important traits in determining whether or not a quarterback will succeed in the pros: in the face of a pass rush, is the player calm? Does he stand in the pocket, deliver the ball and take a hit—or is does the pressure alter his mechanics, both in footwork and arm angle? Manziel remains tranquil in the midst of a driving storm. He never looks at the rush, his eyes are always downfield; he has a tremendous feel for what’s going on around him; and he doesn’t bolt from the pocket unless he has to. Manziel is a pocket passer.

And yet, he’s probably at his best when he’s on the move. “When chaos erupts—when everything breaks down and chaos begins—and he runs around, that’s his moment,” the AFC general manager says. “Is he a pure pocket passer? No. Does he have some athleticism to beat you with his feet and stuff? Yeah.”
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:10 pm

slappybrown wrote:http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/johnny-manziel-nfl-future/

Saban paused a moment, put his bags down and made eye contact to make sure his point would be understood. “I think Johnny’s a unique player,” he said. “Many people have said about these guys, like [Robert Griffin III], that they’re not really NFL-style quarterbacks. But yet they’re all doing pretty well in the NFL.

“I think when somebody’s as instinctive as [Manziel] is, and as fast as he is, and as athletic as he is, and he’s developing into a pretty good passer—I mean last year he really developed as a passer—I do think he has an NFL future.”

He and Wilson also share one of the most important traits in determining whether or not a quarterback will succeed in the pros: in the face of a pass rush, is the player calm? Does he stand in the pocket, deliver the ball and take a hit—or is does the pressure alter his mechanics, both in footwork and arm angle? Manziel remains tranquil in the midst of a driving storm. He never looks at the rush, his eyes are always downfield; he has a tremendous feel for what’s going on around him; and he doesn’t bolt from the pocket unless he has to. Manziel is a pocket passer.

And yet, he’s probably at his best when he’s on the move. “When chaos erupts—when everything breaks down and chaos begins—and he runs around, that’s his moment,” the AFC general manager says. “Is he a pure pocket passer? No. Does he have some athleticism to beat you with his feet and stuff? Yeah.”

Did anyone else notice how flat footed he was against Alabama? It was strikingly obvious to me.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Todd Graham extended through 2018.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Did anyone else notice how flat footed he was against Alabama? It was strikingly obvious to me.

I.....what? Are you saying he was throwing flat-footed rather than stepping into his throws? Or flat-footed like slow and plodding? Because, again, what?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 pm

If that is what he looks like flat-footed, even if he is a colossal *****, the Steelers need to tank this year and next year to get him. :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Slappy with the smart play asking for clarification before getting into an epp argument. At least you will know what you're arguing over.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:05 pm

slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I.....what? Are you saying he was throwing flat-footed rather than stepping into his throws? Or flat-footed like slow and plodding? Because, again, what?

Watch the video, lookup some youtubes, you'll see for yourself.

When he drops back into the pocket from being under center his completely flat footed. It's not until he breaks out of the pocket that you see him get up on his toes. I just thought it was interesting. All of this trying to create an argument off of my comment is just :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to "argue" with you at all. I was asking you to clarify what you were saying because I genuinely didn't understand it in light of how I viewed his performance.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) tweeted at 0:06 PM on Thu, Sep 19, 2013:
WVU announces that the Mountaineers and Penn State will play in football in 2023 and '24. Season openers both times, the 1st at Beaver Stad
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) tweeted at 0:06 PM on Thu, Sep 19, 2013:
WVU announces that the Mountaineers and Penn State will play in football in 2023 and '24. Season openers both times, the 1st at Beaver Stad

It's strange getting excited about a game when the players who will be in those games are currently in 3rd grade.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:17 pm

How sweet would a Pitt-WVU-PSU yearly triangular series be (akin to the Army-Navy-Air Force Commander in Chief Trophy)? Would never happen of course, but I can long for the 80s all I want.

What would the trophy be called?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:10 am

slappybrown wrote:How sweet would a Pitt-WVU-PSU yearly triangular series be (akin to the Army-Navy-Air Force Commander in Chief Trophy)? Would never happen of course, but I can long for the 80s all I want.

"The has been programs award"?
Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:How sweet would a Pitt-WVU-PSU yearly triangular series be (akin to the Army-Navy-Air Force Commander in Chief Trophy)? Would never happen of course, but I can long for the 80s all I want.

"The has been programs award"?
Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

:cry:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR