NFL

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Maybe they shouldn't penalize them, they just shouldn't penalize the opposition if they Teague-on-TO them during the celebration.

That whole sequence was fantastic.

I like celebrations, but they are over-saturated now. What JS said is pretty much spot on with my feelings.

As a Cowboys fan, it was still hilarious that he did it. :pop: Actually the first time was amusing, the second time was just incredible.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 pm

my problem with the elimination of these things, is that the game is too antiseptic as is. pristine fields, jerseys never ripped, no rivalries like there used to be. let the guys get emotional. let them get mad. brood the hate and make more emotional games. make it less surgical, more raw emotion. there is a decline in product and the league is the reason for a lot of it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:00 pm

canaan wrote:my problem with the elimination of these things, is that the game is too antiseptic as is. pristine fields, jerseys never ripped, no rivalries like there used to be. let the guys get emotional. let them get mad. brood the hate and make more emotional games. make it less surgical, more raw emotion. there is a decline in product and the league is the reason for a lot of it.

I'll agree with that, that the system and the league as a whole is too shiny and too clean.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Yet player-arrests appear to be at an all time high.
Odd disconnect?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 pm

canaan wrote:my problem with the elimination of these things, is that the game is too antiseptic as is. pristine fields, jerseys never ripped, no rivalries like there used to be. let the guys get emotional. let them get mad. brood the hate and make more emotional games. make it less surgical, more raw emotion. there is a decline in product and the league is the reason for a lot of it.

Thats not being taken away through elimination of the showboating, its being taken away in protecting everyone from getting hurt.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Thats not being taken away through elimination of the showboating, its being taken away in protecting everyone from getting hurt.

This.

AB is going to run 30 yards downfield after a 5 yard catch for a 1st down whether it is against Baltimore or Detroit. He doesn't care. Hines Ward bred hate because he used to try and knock Ed Reed out every time they played. Bart Scott tried to do the same to Ben. I have no doubt in my mind he would be flagged for that hit on Ben 8 times out of 10 if that hit occurs now as opposed to 8 years go. Ward would also be flagged and fined for taking our Reed the way he did years ago too. Those plays breed rivalries not AB's first down taunt which is typically a longer advancement downfield than the actual catch he makes.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:57 pm

columbia wrote:Yet player-arrests appear to be at an all time high.
Odd disconnect?

I wouldn't mind seeing player arrests being converted into loss of cap space, but that's more of a dream that I know will never happen thanks to the PA.

Fine the player, fine the team in cap space. Seems like the only way people will learn is when you take money out of their pocket.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/s ... ay-packers

Jennings just continues to rapidly ascend through the different tiers of stupidity.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 am

joopen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

This.

AB is going to run 30 yards downfield after a 5 yard catch for a 1st down whether it is against Baltimore or Detroit. He doesn't care. Hines Ward bred hate because he used to try and knock Ed Reed out every time they played. Bart Scott tried to do the same to Ben. I have no doubt in my mind he would be flagged for that hit on Ben 8 times out of 10 if that hit occurs now as opposed to 8 years go. Ward would also be flagged and fined for taking our Reed the way he did years ago too. Those plays breed rivalries not AB's first down taunt which is typically a longer advancement downfield than the actual catch he makes.

Aside from the ravens and steelers, I can't think of any hate fueled rivalries in the league over the last 5 years or so. And even bal/pit is starting to turn into mush.

The best illustration of this is how happy all these guys are to see each other in post game handshakes. That drives me bananas.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:15 am

shmenguin wrote:The best illustration of this is how happy all these guys are to see each other in post game handshakes. That drives me bananas.

Yup. I know I shouldn't care that much about it, but I wish there was more genuine hatred between teams.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:The best illustration of this is how happy all these guys are to see each other in post game handshakes. That drives me bananas.

Yup. I know I shouldn't care that much about it, but I wish there was more genuine hatred between teams.

I think part of it is that, because of the tenuous nature of an NFL career, the players are a little more individualistic. They play hard for their next contract, but for a lot of them, their other motivation is diminishing. More than any other sport, they're used up and thrown away. I don't feel bad for them or anything, but stuff like that will take your competitiveness down a peg.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 am

Did anyone see Cris Carter HoF acceptance speech?

What ever happened to being humble?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:38 am

Why are people expected to be humble? I never understood that. If the person is not being negative towards anyone, he has not infringed on anyone.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 am

Rylan wrote:Why are people expected to be humble? I never understood that. If the person is not being negative towards anyone, he has not infringed on anyone.

Cause they look like a jagoff.
I've seen acceptance speeches where the athlete thanked their wives, their high school coach, their teammates and talked about what an honor it is to be part of such a fantastic group as the NFL H.o.F.

Cris Carter essentially acted like the hall was lucky to have him (slight overstatement for effect).
I always though Cris Carter was a talented ball player but never saw him as ultra arrogant and narrsacistic.

I guess it's all about maturity.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 am

So are people supposed to be humble for the benefit of others?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 am

I thought It was widely know that Cris Carter was all about Cris Carter. His Hof speech was not surprising.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 am

Wes Welker is a whiner.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker told Sports Illustrated that Bill Belichick was hard on him toward the end of his six-year run in New England, chiding him in front of teammates in a way the coach hadn't done previously.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9548477
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:52 am

Is he a whiner? Sounds like he was talking about what it was like to play under Belichick.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 am

or belicheat is a d
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 am

viva la ben wrote:I thought It was widely know that Cris Carter was all about Cris Carter. His Hof speech was not surprising.

Yeah, I don't really find this story surprising at all. Cris Carter has always struck me that way.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 am

viva la ben wrote:I thought It was widely know that Cris Carter was all about Cris Carter. His Hof speech was not surprising.

That was my impression. No one loves Cris Carter more than Cris Carter.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm

When you are as good as Cris Carter is/was you have no reason to be humble.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:
joopen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

This.

Aside from the ravens and steelers, I can't think of any hate fueled rivalries in the league over the last 5 years or so. And even bal/pit is starting to turn into mush.

The best illustration of this is how happy all these guys are to see each other in post game handshakes. That drives me bananas.

The biggest reason for this is free agency
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm so tired of hearing about the "Eagles QB Competition." There is no competition, everybody knows Vick will be the starter, as he should be. He's not a great QB by any means but Foles and Barkley aren't even close to him, this is only a story because the media loves to get on Vick's case any chance they get.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Vick will be hurt for half the season anyway. Might as well see what they have in Barkley and Foles.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR