NFL

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NFL

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I can't tell if the NFL thread completely ignored the Pro Bowl "Draft" because it's stupid or because the circular arguement about what the word 'thug' represents is really that compelling.
dodint
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

I think people that are fans of the NFL completely ignore the Pro Bowl. The best use for it is being a pro bowler, its like being named "first team all-star". Its nice for someone to be named to it.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:just search thug on lgp.com and see the connotation used for it.

its either used for dirty hockey players or black people.

Usually dirty hockey players are called goons.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Rocco wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:just search thug on lgp.com and see the connotation used for it.

Rocco, make the LGP NFL Draft Game Thread already ya dummy.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Rocco, make the LGP NFL Draft Game Thread already ya dummy.

I'll make it when I'm good and ready, or when someone starts a 2014 Pirates Thread so we can retire the 1100 page monstrosity.

(I'll probably make it next week.)
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Rocco wrote:

There are repeated instances of people calling shawn thorton a thug on lgp.com
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Thats because this is a hockey site. Shawn thornton didnt blow up social media by being a loud white guy; thug.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Sherman was most concerned by the people who called him a thug.

"The reason it bothers me is it seems that's the accepted way now to call someone the N-word," Sherman said. "They say thug, and that takes me aback. Maybe I'm talking loudly on the field and saying things I'm not supposed to, but there was hockey game where they didn't even play hockey. They just threw the puck aside and started fighting. I thought, 'Oh man. I'm the thug? Geez.'"

Sherman was referring to the Vancouver Canucks-Calgary Flames game last Saturday when a brawl took place two seconds into the game.

"I know some real thugs, and they know I'm the farthest thing from a thug,'' Sherman said. "I fought that my whole life because of where I've come from [the Compton neighborhood in Los Angeles]. You have a guy from Compton or Watts, they just think he's a thug. He's a gangster. You fight it for so long, and to have it come back up and hear people use it again is frustrating."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/st ... ot-villain

So Sherman himself was saying that a bunch of White Hockey players were Thugs.

Should we consult Tupac?

As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. A thug is NOT a gangster. Look up gangster and gangsta. Not even CLOSE, my friend.
"That boy ain't a gangsta, fo'sho'. Look at how he walks, he's a thug. life. That's the saddest face I've seen in all my life as a teen."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug

I don't see race mentioned there.

(Note: I don't know enough about Tupac to know if that's a direct quote from him or someone's paraphrasing.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Is this a real argument right now?
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm

EPP, take a deep breath. Connotation. noun. an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning. To say that there is no connotation to the word thug and one particular race in this country is a bit out there.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Is this a real argument right now?

No arguing at all... I find it interesting that an NFL player shoots his mouth off and embarrasses himself on national TV then successfully diverts the attention from his comments by playing the race card by implying that "Thug" is another way of using the 'N' word.

He's actually a very smart guy to have successfully pulled that off and no one is challenging him or his inconsistency in his own use of the phrase.

It's a pretty impressive feat on Shermans part.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:07 pm

At no point in that piece does Sherman call the hockey players thugs. He said he thought it was odd that he was being called a thug for making the defensive play of the year and spouting off about it loudly in a live TV interview seconds after the end of the game, while a rink full of white dudes straight up brawled for ten minutes and at no point did the word 'thug' cross anyone's mind.

He has a fair point.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 pm

And I still don't see how Sherman embarrassed himself. I thought it was epic, and it inspired me to go out and buy a Sherman jersey number t-shirt. I may wear it again after the SB, but I don't care. He's my new favorite non-Steeler player as much because of the Andrews interview as his on-field play.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:17 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

No arguing at all... I find it interesting that an NFL player shoots his mouth off and embarrasses himself on national TV then successfully diverts the attention from his comments by playing the race card by implying that "Thug" is another way of using the 'N' word.

He's actually a very smart guy to have successfully pulled that off and no one is challenging him or his inconsistency in his own use of the phrase.

I think it's just a situation where you're making one point, no one is disagreeing with the point you are making, but are able to recognize that it isn't relevant.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:21 pm

tifosi77 wrote:At no point in that piece does Sherman call the hockey players thugs.

'Oh man. I'm the thug? Geez.' - Sherman

The implication is clear to me. So we'll just have to agree that we have differing opinions on his statement.

Sherman later called his actions “immature,” while acknowledging that “I probably shouldn’t have done that.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z2rLESK6RJ

I agree with Mr. Sherman

(It's also interesting that the Erin Andrews interview wasn't impromptu. It was the second time he's made those comments.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:25 pm

i dont really care what Sherman did after the game so much because it seems like he and Crabtree have had beef for a while.

I dont however, like him running up to an opponent literally seconds after his chance to go to the SB went down the train, slap him on the ass try to shake his hand. Sherman may have said "hell of a game" but he got exactly the reaction he wanted and he gets to play it off like he's being some gracious winner. Save that for when teams meet at mid field. Like I said, I have no problem really with how he acted, but dont be shocked that you came off like a complete jerk and completely unsportmanlike. I also don't believe Sherman as he says "just being himself" when I think this is an act to get famous, sell more jerseys (which is happening) and he's getting what he wants, he's the star of Superbowl week(s). Now he also gets to be a sympathetic figure and anyone who doesnt think screaming like a lunatic and talking about how great you are is the way to go, is now deemed racist.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:28 pm

There is no implication; he is not saying "Geez, those white dudes are thugs!" He is wondering why the immediate reaction to him being noisy in a live interview is to be publicly branded a thug despite actual for-real thuggery not even being talked out.

The fact that he said it twice does not in any way diminish its greatness. ;)
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:28 pm

tifosi77 wrote:And I still don't see how Sherman embarrassed himself. I thought it was epic, and it inspired me to go out and buy a Sherman jersey number t-shirt. I may wear it again after the SB, but I don't care. He's my new favorite non-Steeler player as much because of the Andrews interview as his on-field play.

I thought he sounded like a lunatic, and making the choke sign and taunting Crabtree were punk moves. The interview with Erin Andrews was hilarious and reminiscent of wrestlers cutting a promo, and I'm really hoping ESPN and the rest of the media can stop beating this story to death soon.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:35 pm

mountain made of a molehill.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:41 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Now he also gets to be a sympathetic figure

I was with you almost to the end.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:42 pm

canaan wrote:mountain made of a molehill.

Which is crazy because usually ESPN + Social Media + Racial issues doesnt result in that :pop:
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Rocco wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:And I still don't see how Sherman embarrassed himself. I thought it was epic, and it inspired me to go out and buy a Sherman jersey number t-shirt. I may wear it again after the SB, but I don't care. He's my new favorite non-Steeler player as much because of the Andrews interview as his on-field play.

I thought he sounded like a lunatic, and making the choke sign and taunting Crabtree were punk moves. The interview with Erin Andrews was hilarious and reminiscent of wrestlers cutting a promo, and I'm really hoping ESPN and the rest of the media can stop beating this story to death soon.

+1
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I think it's just a situation where you're making one point, no one is disagreeing with the point you are making, but are able to recognize that it isn't relevant.

This. No one disputes that the word can be used and is used to refer to person other than African-Americans. I don't understand how that changes the connotations of the word in society as a whole.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 pm

I keep clicking this thread thinking its about football. I've fallen for it about 15 times today. Shame on me.
dodint
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:48 pm

THats on you. These two weeks have and will always be like this.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR