NFL

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NFL

Postby ulf on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm all in favor of not banning any celebrations, but goal post dunks twice led to delays to fix the uprights last year. Games are long enough.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,313
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: NFL

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Maybe the NFL should just tell the networks to stop broadcasting the celebration. Just cut right to a replay.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,198
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: NFL

Postby Rocco on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Jimmy Graham ruined the goalpost dunk celebration for everyone when he bent the goalposts.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:50 pm

ulf wrote:I'm all in favor of not banning any celebrations, but goal post dunks twice led to delays to fix the uprights last year. Games are long enough.


Yeah I was going to mention that as well, but I liked that they already violated a rule. Dan Patrick was talking about this on Friday.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby canaan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:38 pm

If goodell has his way, they won't need goalposts eventually.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,204
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: H2S

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 pm

We can dream...i dont think that will actually happen though...QBs will probably wear flags before that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 am

So they upped the field goal posts 5 more feet, so that adds to the reasoning for outlawing dunking, its going to be more weight.

Not sure if this was mentioned but theyre also trying extra points from the 20 for 2 weeks of preseason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:55 am

Like I said before, if you don't move the PAT back to where kickers are ~50% it's going to be the same boring it is now. Even kicks from the 40 are achieved at a rate of ~87%.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,803
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

Re: NFL

Postby ulf on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:So they upped the field goal posts 5 more feet, so that adds to the reasoning for outlawing dunking, its going to be more weight.

Not sure if this was mentioned but theyre also trying extra points from the 20 for 2 weeks of preseason.

Five feet? I'm not sure they needed to technically outlaw it, not sure how many humans can dunk at 15 feet
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,313
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 am

I do not believe that kicks from the 40 are that successful. Do you mean from 40 out?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:05 am

ulf wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:So they upped the field goal posts 5 more feet, so that adds to the reasoning for outlawing dunking, its going to be more weight.

Not sure if this was mentioned but theyre also trying extra points from the 20 for 2 weeks of preseason.

Five feet? I'm not sure they needed to technically outlaw it, not sure how many humans can dunk at 15 feet

They are 5 feet taller at the top.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:07 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I do not believe that kicks from the 40 are that successful. Do you mean from 40 out?


Yeah, sorry. The original proposal was a 42 yards PAT, if I recall. And the success rate for that is in the high 80s. I imagine a 57yd PAT would convert at, what, 35%?
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,803
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 am

I like the idea of making it not automatic. I think doing it from the 20 is better...seems like it makes it a better decision between 2pt and xpa
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 am

Image

This is using the data from 2010-2012, so three seasons worth. Even from the 20, a 37 yard PAT would be around 82% likely. Much better than the 98% or so current PATs are.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,035
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: NFL

Postby Nuge on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

Ralph Wilson has died at age 95. Should be an interesting few months/year. He has always said that he has no plans for anyone in his family to take over the Bills. The rumor was that Jim Kelly had an ownership group in place to buy them, but his recent health issues may affect that. I've also heard that Pegula might be interested but they may end up being sold to someone who will move them to LA of Toronto full time, although I doubt the latter happens.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Re: NFL

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm

I wrote a long post with the same kind of graph as slappy, but we had a power outtage at work that nuked it.

The short of it was a 54 yd PAT would convert at 50%. A 40yd at 79%.

If my team scores and I need a beer, I'll stick around for a 50% shot but not an 80% shot. 1/2 is way more compelling than 4/5.

A 37yd FG (from the 20) converts at 85%. *yawn*

Either change it to something meaningful or leave it alone.

Image

That was my chart, it reloaded in another tab on reboot.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,803
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Making it around 80% makes sense. You dont make it a 50% chance of success and have teams go for the 2 point conversion no matter what.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm

STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN GAME!!!

Please.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,771
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: NFL

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:32 pm

blackjack68 wrote:STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN GAME!!!

Please.


I started typing this and then realized it doesn't matter, nobody cares. I watched less football last year than any season before, will probably watch even less this year. Kind of hope Cuban was right at this point.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,803
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

Re: NFL

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:34 pm

dodint wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN GAME!!!

Please.


I started typing this and then realized it doesn't matter, nobody cares. I watched less football last year than any season before, will probably watch even less this year. Kind of hope Cuban was right at this point.



But I think people are starting to care. I watched less football last year than I have in two decades.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,771
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: NFL

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:36 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
dodint wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN GAME!!!

Please.


I started typing this and then realized it doesn't matter, nobody cares. I watched less football last year than any season before, will probably watch even less this year. Kind of hope Cuban was right at this point.



But I think people are starting to care. I watched less football last year than I have in two decades.

I also watched less than I ever have, but I will agree that the PAT should be changed. It's a pointless, useless play at this point. Changing this specific rule I'm fine with.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,035
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: NFL

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 pm

I like every proposed change here. This isnt turning the game into an all offense game. Its actually making it more interesting.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,870
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: NFL

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 pm

The only alternative that made sense to me re: the extra point is to just eliminate it completely. Make touchdowns 7 points. A team can elect to go for the 8th point, but if they fail they only get 6 points.

If you want to get rid of it, then get rid of it.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,723
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: NFL

Postby ulf on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
ulf wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:So they upped the field goal posts 5 more feet, so that adds to the reasoning for outlawing dunking, its going to be more weight.

Not sure if this was mentioned but theyre also trying extra points from the 20 for 2 weeks of preseason.

Five feet? I'm not sure they needed to technically outlaw it, not sure how many humans can dunk at 15 feet

They are 5 feet taller at the top.

Ahh. Well in that case, I say raise the crossbar a few feet.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,313
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: NFL

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:05 pm

I always thought adding a top crossbar would be interesting. Put more emphasis on precision than power. I mean, as long as we're changing everything.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,803
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, DudeMan2766, Gabe, JS©, npv708 and 10 guests


e-mail