NBA player comes out

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NBA player comes out

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I sway from the "straight path" at times

Spoiler:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Not that there is anything wrong with it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 pm

columbia wrote:Hey, if you want to rationalize the bigotry of others, have at it.

When was I rationalizing bigotry? There are plenty of bigoted people out there that legitimately hate "f****ts" and everything they stand for. They are despicable people. I know plenty of people that personally disapprove of homosexuality, but are some of the kindest, most generous people I know (yes, even to the gays they allegedly hate, in your eyes).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 pm

and it's also a big deal because this is how things change, someone shares their story and it spreads. just like people with AIDS or cancer. you couldn't talk about those things decades ago. you couldn't talk about being gay 40 or 50 years ago, hey, maybe 20 and 30 and that's why it's important
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:It's one thing to be a Westboro Baptist Church member, it's another to have your own personal beliefs yet still be accepting of others.

This is pretty much the key to all of this. If you're accepting of others then you're not really being bigoted. It's when a person can't accept someone else for who they are that they cross the line to bigotry, IMO.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:Hey, if you want to rationalize the bigotry of others, have at it.

When was I rationalizing bigotry? There are plenty of bigoted people out there that legitimately hate "f****ts" and everything they stand for. They are despicable people. I know plenty of people that personally disapprove of homosexuality, but are some of the kindest, most generous people I know (yes, even to the gays they allegedly hate, in your eyes).

Does tone really matter, when rendering judgement on others?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I know plenty of people that personally disapprove of homosexuality, but are some of the kindest, most generous people I know (yes, even to the gays they allegedly hate, in your eyes).

This is where things get sketchy to me. If you disapprove of someone, are you really accepting who they are? It's almost like there's a caveat in how you view that person. In the above sentence, if you replace "homosexuality" with "blacks," doesn't that seem off? What is the difference? I'm asking because I'm really trying to figure out how it would be different.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 pm

columbia wrote:
obhave wrote:Many in this thread say "I don't care if you are gay or not" and that is wonderful!

In some cases, that is code language for "This makes me really uncomfortable, but I realize that it is socially unacceptable for me to express that, so I'll pretend to go along."

In my case it is language for "people have the right to do whatever they want. You can be gay if you want, I don't care. You should not be persecuted for it. However, let's not pretend like it's this great and wonderful thing, because it isn't. Forget religion, nature says it's wrong. People of the same sex were not made to come together as one. That is just the way it is."
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I know plenty of people that personally disapprove of homosexuality, but are some of the kindest, most generous people I know (yes, even to the gays they allegedly hate, in your eyes).

This is where things get sketchy to me. If you disapprove of someone, are you really accepting who they are? It's almost like there's a caveat in how you view that person. In the above sentence, if you replace "homosexuality" with "blacks," doesn't that seem off? What is the difference? I'm asking because I'm really trying to figure out how it would be different.

Problem with that is, it is perfectly natural to be black. It is not natural to be gay.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
columbia wrote:
obhave wrote:Many in this thread say "I don't care if you are gay or not" and that is wonderful!

In some cases, that is code language for "This makes me really uncomfortable, but I realize that it is socially unacceptable for me to express that, so I'll pretend to go along."

In my case it is language for "people have the right to do whatever they want. You can be gay if you want, I don't care. You should not be persecuted for it. However, let's not pretend like it's this great and wonderful thing, because it isn't. Forget religion, nature says it's wrong. People of the same sex were not made to come together as one. That is just the way it is."

Do you know any gay people, because most of them figured out who they were by about the first grade; at least the ones I know.
(Which is about the same time I started to notice the pretty girls in my class.)

For them, it's entirely natural.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:

Problem with that is, it is perfectly natural to be black. It is not natural to be gay.

No point in going further with the conversation then.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm

It may feel natural for a select few, but for the human species as a whole, it is not. And actually I do know a gay person. Apparently he was with women before he decided to be gay, but I didn't know him then.
Last edited by FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm

I actually agree homosexuality is genetic (I think it's obvious at this point), I just disagree that everyone that disapproves of the lifestyle is a nasty bigot.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Forget religion, nature says it's wrong.

Except for the fact that there are many instances in nature of homosexual behavior.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:

that's completely not true. that's pseudoscience at best. don't try and use science as a shield.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

MWB wrote:

Except for the fact that there are many instances in nature of homosexual behavior.

There are many instances of people being born with 3 arms, I suppose that is natural as well.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I actually agree homosexuality is genetic (I think it's obvious at this point), I just disagree that everyone that disapproves of the lifestyle is a nasty bigot.

If a person disapproves of how a person naturally is (not behavior, not actions, not how they talk, but how they naturally came into the world), isn't that a form of bigotry?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't think "disapprove" is right word for what shad is trying to say. However, I can't think of a better word to replace it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 pm

doublem wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:

that's completely not true. that's pseudoscience at best. don't try and use science as a shield.

It is not untrue at all. No species has been made that is designed to not reproduce.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Jackie chan y u no make sense dot jpeg
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:

There are many instances of people being born with 3 arms, I suppose that is natural as well.

Not what I'm talking about. There are plenty of animals who exhibit homosexual behavior, and have for a long time. So they learned that behavior?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:

I suppose you'd also discriminate against them for being born with three arms? If humans are born gay -- which, duh -- then it's no different.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't think "disapprove" is right word for what shad is trying to say. However, I can't think of a better word to replace it.

Misunderstands?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 pm

you are making it sound their is some "right form of nature". that's not the case. humans can reproduce because we got lucky.species evolve and change as they go, it's possible for a small amount of any group to be "different" and the whole group survive.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby obhave on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:13 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:

I just can't.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR