NBA player comes out

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NBA player comes out

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

CBear3 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
CBear3 wrote:There are people who say that it does impact society, not in direct death and destruction like the other examples, but in other societal impacts.

i guess it's a matter of opinion, but that is an absurd notion.

personally I laugh when people talk about its effect on the sanctity of straight marriage, or on the traditional family unit. Those same people aren't persecuting those with multiple failed marriages which you'd think by that logic would be more detrimental than two loving people spending their lives together regardless of their genders

Absolutely!

If you're interested in preserving the family unit, start with making that unit stronger.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 pm

CBear3 wrote:personally I laugh when people talk about its effect on the sanctity of straight marriage, or on the traditional family unit. Those same people aren't persecuting those with multiple failed marriages which you'd think by that logic would be more detrimental than two loving people spending their lives together regardless of their genders

:thumb: This x1000.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby doublem on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 pm

where are all the people coming out against premarital sex? that's some sinful behavior
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 pm

doublem wrote:where are all the people coming out against premarital sex? that's some sinful behavior

don't worry... as long as it's heterosexual sex, it's a-okay.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm

if gays cant get married, it cant be premarital sex.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Kaizer wrote:if gays cant get married, it cant be premarital sex.

I lold
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Dustin Penner ‏@Dustinpenner25 23h
Honestly I don't care if you are gay or straight as my teammate. As long as you don't listen to Nickelback. #courage
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 am

doublem wrote:where are all the people coming out against premarital sex? that's some sinful behavior

Pretty sure religion lost that battle ages ago.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 am

I think we're all well aware of the ability to look at the bible, break down the inconsistencies and hypocrisy shown by the followers of the good book.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 am

Right. Which is why it is frustrating when people use religion as an excuse to disapprove or disagree or whatever with someone else's life. It's not religion, it's ones personal value set.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am

MWB wrote:Right. Which is why it is frustrating when people use religion as an excuse to disapprove or disagree or whatever with someone else's life. It's not religion, it's ones personal value set.

You can still disagree/disapprove of a lifestyle without using religion. It's just easier to do so with religion.

Spoiler:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 am

MWB wrote:Right. Which is why it is frustrating when people use religion as an excuse to disapprove or disagree or whatever with someone else's life. It's not religion, it's ones personal value set.

I think there are enough people that are crazy enough to follow their religion to a T that I get over it, but I agree. Most of them are trying to justify their feelings with religion.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 am

redwill wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I find that "homophobia has been observed in only one species" quote hilarious. As if that can be substantiated in any way.

I would think that it could be substantiated very easily. Ostracism from a societal unit is the greatest punishment possible in any species. Simply observe whether or not homosexual behavior results in ostracism in a given species.

And the best part - we can spend a few million tax dollars studying such "ostracism" because it oh so important.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 am

Personally I don't mind the recognition of a gay couple by the government, What I don't want is for sexual orientation to be treated as some sort of gender or race in terms of discrimination. A gay man is no different than a straight man - one is not "more equal" than another, leave it at that and I've got no problems. The state can recognize gay couples - and religious institutions can exercise their religious freedom of not condoning it.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

what terms of discrimination should it be treated in then?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 01, 2013 10:26 am

Kaizer wrote:what terms of discrimination should it be treated in then?

none - I don't think sexual orientation is in the same category at all as race or gender.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
Kaizer wrote:what terms of discrimination should it be treated in then?

none - I don't think sexual orientation is in the same category at all as race or gender.

Not sure I follow. You think it's ok to discriminate based on sexual orientation, or you don't believe discrimination exists based on sexual orientation?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 01, 2013 11:18 am

I think he's saying it shouldn't be asked. Are you male or female, black, white, hispanic, how old are you. Sexual orientation shouldn't matter.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 01, 2013 11:22 am

I don't think discrimination should extend to sexual orientation.
I mean if two men walk in for a job interview - and you hire one of them - how do you know if you hired a straight man over a gay man? Are you liable to be sued for discrimination? How in court do we "prove" who is gay and who is not? Are we going to need some new set of affirmative action quotas for sexual orientation?
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 am

And this is what bothers me - when we discuss an injustice like marriage benefits and extending those to same sex couples - that magically transforms into the full on hammer of discrimination in all facets of life. I have no problem with tearing down the walls around marriage benefits for same sex couples - I have a huge issue treating sexual orientation like a race or gender.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am

isn't it currently illegal to even ask for a person's sexual orientation?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed May 01, 2013 11:33 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:I don't think discrimination should extend to sexual orientation.
I mean if two men walk in for a job interview - and you hire one of them - how do you know if you hired a straight man over a gay man? Are you liable to be sued for discrimination? How in court do we "prove" who is gay and who is not? Are we going to need some new set of affirmative action quotas for sexual orientation?

I think you're conflating a few issues here, especially affirmative action.

Certainly discrimination based on sexual orientation exists, at some level. Certainly not how it once was but I would assume it exists.

It's certainly the reason why an employer can't ask about sexual orientation on a job application or interview. An employee can't be denied a promotion because of sexual orientation.

I mean, discrimination is discrimination, right?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:I don't think discrimination should extend to sexual orientation.

so because of inconsequential amount of cases that will end up going to court, we should just give up on protecting a group of people from discrimination? do you think people will just start pretending to be gay, and then commit perjury (a serious offense, by the way) to get a job?

in other words...wat?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:And this is what bothers me - when we discuss an injustice like marriage benefits and extending those to same sex couples - that magically transforms into the full on hammer of discrimination in all facets of life. I have no problem with tearing down the walls around marriage benefits for same sex couples - I have a huge issue treating sexual orientation like a race or gender.

How about age? Disability?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed May 01, 2013 11:36 am

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR