When do you merge?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

At what point do you merge?

At the lane closed ahead sign
25%
Where the lane is actually closed
33%
Whenever the h*** I want
42%

Total votes : 48

Re: When do you merge?

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I saw this on FB:

So when do you merge?

:pop:

Ironically, this is what you're supposed to do. Use two lanes to merge point...
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I merge relatively early, then do everything in my power to prevent the nimrods that wait til the last second from actually getting in the lane.

When the traffic forces those people to come to a stop, and thus be pretty much screwed, I get a shred of belief that there may actually be a god.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

This was in El Segundo a couple months ago:

Spoiler:

"Ahead" apparently means something different at CalTrans than it does everywhere else.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm

They want you to merge where the lane ends., that's why they end the lane at that spot. Viva La Ben explains why in 1 sentence.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The people who wait until they reach the merge point to merge are what make the traffic flow slow down to a halt because they try to force their way in.

If everyone merged around when they see the "_____ Lane closed ______ feet ahead" sign, there wouldn't be insane traffic backups. But because people want to pass the line, it slows everyone else down when people in the open lane have to basically stop to let the other guy in.

If people waited until the end to merge and then took turns there wouldn't be a backup. The problem is, in both cases the people in the lane you merge into think they shouldn't have to let people in because they happen to be there.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:58 pm

I also might add - traffic moves better when everyone understands the rules.

At the merge point - its 1 from the left, 1 from the right.

As evident by some comments in this thread - early merges have a problem in that the people who have merged right, consider anyone who is merging in front of them to be "cutting" - since the person coming from the left is obviously merging at a point further down the road than the car they are merging in front of. This causes uncertainty as to who can merge and who can not, and leads to chaos - which leads to longer traffic issues.

Merging at the merge point removes that uncertainty.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 pm

MWB wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:The people who wait until they reach the merge point to merge are what make the traffic flow slow down to a halt because they try to force their way in.

If everyone merged around when they see the "_____ Lane closed ______ feet ahead" sign, there wouldn't be insane traffic backups. But because people want to pass the line, it slows everyone else down when people in the open lane have to basically stop to let the other guy in.

If people waited until the end to merge and then took turns there wouldn't be a backup. The problem is, in both cases the people in the lane you merge into think they shouldn't have to let people in because they happen to be there.

Thats correct, they don't have to let people in because they happen to be there. Which is why the people merging should be merging in where they have the opportunity to do so once they know their lane is going to cease to exist.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:I also might add - traffic moves better when everyone understands the rules.

At the merge point - its 1 from the left, 1 from the right.

As evident by some comments in this thread - early merges have a problem in that the people who have merged right, consider anyone who is merging in front of them to be "cutting" - since the person coming from the left is obviously merging at a point further down the road than the car they are merging in front of. This causes uncertainty as to who can merge and who can not, and leads to chaos - which leads to longer traffic issues.

Merging at the merge point removes that uncertainty.

QFT
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Thats a great idea in traffic that has come to a stop. If thats what we're talking about, then I have no interest in this conversation because we're talking about stop and go traffic no matter what.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 pm

If I see the sign and there is a decent spot for me to merge in, I'll do it. However, if there isn't, I'm going to keep going. I'm not going to slow down to a crawl and wait for someone to let me in, or come to a stop, like some people do. If that means going to the end point, that's what I'll do. Some people don't want to let you in no matter where it is, because they were there first. The thinking of being there first in a merge situation is silly.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:10 pm

it's not your choice when to merge. it is the choice of the collective traffic in front of you. that's how it works, even if you don't like it or can't find anything in traffic laws that says you have to do it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 pm

This happens on Route 28 all the time. I saw one guy do an amazing thing though one time. He had his truck half in the shoulder and half in the lane so people not willing to wait couldn't ride the shoulder up to the light. He got so many fingers and he just gave them right back. Every day I hope to see that same guy doing it to other people.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm

I bet you people that merge immediately are the same ones that break going into the tunnels. :evil:
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I let one person in, unless they were behind me when I merged.

:thumb:

yep. i also straddle both lanes once i hit a certain point. same deal on airplanes - my legs block the aisle once we land. the back rows aren't getting off the plane before the fornt rows, folks.

THIS, might be my biggest pet peeve.

Unless someone's in a real hurry on a late flight to catch a connecting flight what is the point of people HAVING to jump in front of someone they shouldn't be.

Or the PLANE LANDS EVERYONE JUMP IN AISLE. So many times I had to put my carry on a couple seats back because my overhead was filled and then I can't get to it because people have to stand in aisle to save .2 seconds.

A small variation, the plane was really late and they made 3 announcements to please remain seated if you aren't running late on a connecting flight to allow those to catch their next flight....... Not ONE person did it which I thought was kind of **** as I sprinted down the airport to catch my next flight while the people who couldn't wait just strolled to the airport McDonald's line
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 pm

meow wrote:I bet you people that merge immediately are the same ones that break going into the tunnels. :evil:

Nope.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:58 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:I bet you people that merge immediately are the same ones that break going into the tunnels. :evil:

Nope.

Ofcourse you don't. No one wants to admit that.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:01 pm

People brake going into tunnels? I experience people breaking coming out of tunnels all the time. Also, i'm a very aggressive driver, I just hate traffic and don't want to be the cause of more traffic by running up the merge lane and causing someone to slam on their brakes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

meow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Nope.

Ofcourse you don't. No one wants to admit that.

Except I really don't, and it has been recorded in the Pet Peeves thread.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 pm

I feel like the traffic is caused by people getting over too early. It's simple... stay in your lane and each lane takes turns at the merge point
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IanMoran on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I feel like the traffic is caused by people getting over too early. It's simple... stay in your lane and each lane takes turns at the merge point

Why wait until have to stop... if can move over, do it. In true merge situations that all is even I do the every other....... If you want to speed ahead then try to jump in front of 60 cars, don't throw your hands up when I'm not letting you in
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

On days when i'm not in a hurry and i notice the guy behind me riding my tail, i'll let as many people as I can merge.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Look it's a dog eat dog world out there. You guys just need to man up and take what the word is giving you.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

People brake going into tunnels? I experience people breaking coming out of tunnels all the time. Also, i'm a very aggressive driver, I just hate traffic and don't want to be the cause of more traffic by running up the merge lane and causing someone to slam on their brakes.

You've never been in dead stop traffic 2 miles before a tunnel, only to get to the tunnel and see no rational reason to have been stopped? That's caused by people braking headed into the tunnel.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 pm

TIL lgp has some sissy nanny drivers.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR