Question about getting some electrical outlets installed

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Question about getting some electrical outlets installed

Postby ajh2298 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Okay first thing is first I will not mess with electrical stuff. I am beyond afraid of getting shocked.

So I want to have a few more outlet installed in my unfinished basement one for a chest freezer and a couple of more for my game room stuff once I decide to finish my basement. Right now I have a TV set up in the one corner for my son to play Wii and I would like to my it into a little home theater with another 360 and Blu-ray player hooked up to it. Right now I am running a extension cord up through the celling joists from the one lighting fixture. How much do you think it will cost to have a electrician come in and do this. I do have a couple of empty spots still left in the breaker box, and everything as far as that goes is newer and up to date.

Thanks,
Anthony
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Question about getting some electrical outlets installed

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I am actually pricing this as well, since I need to have several GFCI outlets installed when we move into our new home at the end of the month. From what I gather, it's going to be about $60-$70/pop to have them installed.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm

We've had a lot of electrical work done at the two houses we've had. Good work isn't usually cheap, so caveat emptor.

The freezer would be well suited to living on its own GFCI circuit. (It might even be required by code.) The last thing you want is for someone to blow the circuit running something like a curling iron and you not realizing the freezer shut down until a week after the fact. For everything else, I think you'd probably be okay with two circuits, say 4 outlets per circuit. Can't say for your area, but here in SoCal that kind of work would probably cost somewhere tween $500 and a grand.

If you have three openings avail on your panel, that will save you money. If you have to put a new panel in, that will cost a big chunk more.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm

sounds like a gr8 mothers day gift idea. new electrical outlets
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:sounds like a gr8 mothers day gift idea. new electrical outlets

you add a new gardening vest to that, and you have quite the romance deal sealer.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Depending on your freezer you may need a 220 outlet. That will require you to use 2 of your three breakers since it would become a double poll switch.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu May 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Since the basement is unfinished and there is mostly unobstructed access to the wiring it should not be too too much. As one previous poster suggested it will largely depend on the outlet type and the quality of the electrician.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR