What's the ruling: Graphics on a resume

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What's the ruling: Graphics on a resume

Postby Shyster on Fri May 10, 2013 4:05 pm

thepittman wrote:I think you are in an extreme minority

In thinking that appearances matter?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 pm

No, in thinking that they matter so much that using an arcane typeface that no one has ever heard of will be a difference maker. But I somehow think you would wear that distinction as a badge of pride. :thumb: :wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri May 10, 2013 6:10 pm

tifosi77 wrote:No, in thinking that they matter so much that using an arcane typeface that no one has ever heard of will be a difference maker. But I somehow think you would wear that distinction as a badge of pride. :thumb: :wink:

I’m not necessarily arguing that it will be an automatic difference maker. I am saying that good typography and page layout will affect the way people respond to a document, and good typography includes appropriate type selection. Also, the fact that none of the typefaces I mentioned are included for free with popular computer products does not mean that they are obscure. Minion, Bembo, Sabon, and the various flavors of Garamond are mainstays of book printing. Anyone who has read more than a handful of printed books in the last 20 years or so has almost certainly read something set using one of those typefaces. For example, every Harry Potter book sold in the United States was printed in Adobe’s version of Garamond.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tomas on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:27 pm

This is a very primitive question: How do fonts work?

More specifically: I finally decided to update my CV and my "executive biography." Since I remembered this discussion, I decided to leave the "lame" Times Roman (my trusty font for the last 2 decades) behind, and use something more flashy.

I was able to find websites that allow installation of various non-standard fonts mentioned in this thread, but - am I at risk that if I send somebody a document in (a) Word or (b) PDF format, he/she won't be able to correctly print or edit it if the non-standard font is not installed on the recipient's computer?

(if yes, then I think I'll stick with something like standard Garamond from MS Word.)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Tomas wrote:This is a very primitive question: How do fonts work?

More specifically: I finally decided to update my CV and my "executive biography." Since I remembered this discussion, I decided to leave the "lame" Times Roman (my trusty font for the last 2 decades) behind, and use something more flashy.

I was able to find websites that allow installation of various non-standard fonts mentioned in this thread, but - am I at risk that if I send somebody a document in (a) Word or (b) PDF format, he/she won't be able to correctly print or edit it if the non-standard font is not installed on the recipient's computer?

(if yes, then I think I'll stick with something like standard Garamond from MS Word.)

try this? http://www.howtogeek.com/106681/how-to- ... -document/
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:37 pm

also this

Spoiler:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:13 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:also this

Spoiler:

Why do yo have Shyster's resume?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:15 pm

How do you get a 3.98 major GPA?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:15 pm

That's an excellent way to not get hired.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:20 pm

I would stick with boring font like TNR. If you do go with something different, stick to fonts preloaded with Microsoft Office and nothing that is hard to read or borders on cursive or calligraphy.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:59 pm

All my pooh poohing aside, I have several friends in the graphic/visual arts fields. And their résumés make for some pretty excellent eye candy.

Not a résumé, but in a similar vein this thread made me think of the coolest business card I've ever seen. (IB4 Christian Bale) My friend had call to work with Aston Martin about 8-10 years ago (I helped do research for a motor racing sponsorship, but I never met with anyone from AM). The president's cards were brushed metal with carbon fiber on the exterior and an embossed AM logo. The metal was magnetized, and the front and back pieces could be pulled apart; accordioned inside was a 6-page, 4-color brochure of the company's line. Each card probably cost $20 to make.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I think going the non-traditional route makes sense for graphic designers and maybe some similar professions.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm

This is quasi-related but I thought it fit here. The "Resignation" templates in Microsoft Word are good comedy as they're strangely personal. This one is "Resignation due to lack of promotion":

Dear [Recipient Name]:
Please consider this as my resignation, effective at once. I am writing to you rather than to the new financial vice president because I want you to know exactly how I feel.
You will recall that during the five years that I have been on your staff, I have had offers from several companies, all of which promised better compensation and greater responsibilities. On each occasion, I discussed the situation with you and you gave me reason to believe that I would replace you, if and when you moved up. I confess that you did not actually say, “You’re the next financial vice president, John,” but that is the distinct impression I got from our conversations.

Your promotion to treasurer of the corporation came as no surprise; certainly, no one is better qualified than you are for that position. The genuine surprise was that instead of choosing one of your three department managers to replace you, you selected an individual from outside the company. I cannot accept your reasoning that we’re indispensable in our present jobs; this would mean that a person can be penalized for doing too good a job. Clearly, this would mean that I can have no hopes for promotion here.
I leave Contoso, Ltd. with many pleasant memories; the experience has been rewarding in many ways. Under the circumstances, however, I’m certain you will fully understand the reason for my decision.

Sincerely,

There are others, such as 'conflict with boss' and 'with accomplishments.'

Made for a good read, as far as boilerplate productivity software templates go.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Good lord, that's a template in Word??? n Yowza.

My resignation letter read: "This will serve as formal notice of my intention to voluntarily resign from my position of Senior Paralegal at [K]. I intend my last day to be Friday, September 26th, 2014. I look forward to perhaps working with you again in the future."

I had a draft of the letter on my Desktop for about six months ('peaceout.doc') that went into considerably more colorful detail, but in the end I went with the above. I reserved the word bombs for my exit interview.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 pm

columbia wrote:That's an excellent way to not get hired.

Unless someone like me is the hiring partner.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR