Memphis TN

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Memphis TN

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Has anyone been to memphis before? If so, please elaborate on the following activities:

A.) Recommend some enjoyable BBQ

B.) Recommend fun things to do
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Memphis TN

Postby Eismann on Mon May 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Find Mitch and Ray McDeer.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm

i went to memphis once. couldnt get out quick enough.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RJW76 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 pm

BBQ place on Beale St. Can't remember the name of it, looked like a basement but the best BBQ I ever had. Want to say it's right around BB King's bar.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm a hard core Blues fanatic so Beale St is Mecca to me.

It's only about two or three blocks long though and it's become very commercialized over the last couple of decades.

You won't be hurting for good music and/or good food.

There's a Hampton Inn that's only a block off of Beale that's centrally located.

BB Kings place has a decent menu, I really enjoyed Alfreds and Blues City Cafe.

Are you there for business or pleasure?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby GJ on Mon May 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I liked Rendezvous.

http://www.hogsfly.com/
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby legame on Mon May 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Try Neely's for BBQ.

Make sure to tour the National Civil Rights museum at the Lorraine Hotel, where Dr. King was shot. Sun and Stax Records both do tours, as does the Gibson guitar factory...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm a hard core Blues fanatic so Beale St is Mecca to me.

Good, just the one to ask. I love Blues. I have some basic material: BB, Johnson, hooker and some things from Alligator Records. 20th anniv. Compilation, katie webster whose voice is incredible, etc.
But I want to grab a few more cds. So, what's your 5 favorite albums? What would you recommend outside of the aforementioned?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 am

ville5 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm a hard core Blues fanatic so Beale St is Mecca to me.

Good, just the one to ask. I love Blues. I have some basic material: BB, Johnson, hooker and some things from Alligator Records. 20th anniv. Compilation, katie webster whose voice is incredible, etc.
But I want to grab a few more cds. So, what's your 5 favorite albums? What would you recommend outside of the aforementioned?

So you're lucky in that there are a ton of great compilations out there. You can really get good samples from some of those.

The Blues really is a very broad genre, you've got Delta Blues, Chicago Blues, Texas Blues. You'll probably find yourself migrating to one or more of those as you get deeper into the genre.

Also, I personally have noticed more of a focus on intrumentation in the Blues (as opposed to other types of music). Lot's of great blues horns, pianists, blues harp (harmonica) and guitar players.

I'm a huge fan of slide guitar and blues harp.

From a historical perspective I'd go with Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Mississippi John Hurt and Albert King. (Grab the compilations instead of individual releases until you decide which of those 'float your boat' the most.)

Ruth Brown and Etta James are my favorite female Blues artists from a historical perspective.

There are a ton of modern day blues artists as well. I'm a huge fan of Jonny Langs "Lie to Me", Kenny Wayne Sheppard (his 10 days out: "Blues from the backroads" is awesome!), North Mississippi all-stars gives you blues with a jamband feel. R.L. Burnside combines that with a slightly hip-hop feel.

I'd also read up on some of the early RnR legends biographys (Clapton, Rod Stewart, Keith Richards, Mick etc...) they talk a ton about what their influences were.

One of the most obscure blues albums I like is "Fleetwood Mac Live in Chicago".

I haven't even mentioned Robert Johnson.

The other person on here to give you blues advice is Willie Kool. He continually impresses me with his Blues/Music Knowledge.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 am

Thank you for the input, peeps.

Kenny the kangaroo will be their for pleasure, as a stop on a roadtrip. So it would be nice to find a gr8 place to stuff faces with delicious bbq
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Thank you for the input, peeps.

Kenny the kangaroo will be their for pleasure, as a stop on a roadtrip. So it would be nice to find a gr8 place to stuff faces with delicious bbq

If you're just driving through and only eating one meal I'd definitely pick either Rendevous or Blues City Cafe.

There are actually a couple of better places in Memphis for BBQ (according to the locals) but they aren't located on Beale St, and as far as I'm concerned Beale St is a must see for any visit to Memphis.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR