Angelina Jolie taking charge of her life.

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Angelina Jolie taking charge of her life.

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I don't think it's as easy as saying "ah, just get the breasts removed, snip snip, and everything will be as before in your life". I don't aim to try to understand what it feels like to be a woman like Angelina who's at high risk, but at the same time I'm not sure I believe in preventive surgery like that. Women do worry about their sexuality and attractiveness, for one. It's not a shallow thing to say, just normal and honest. I can almost accept why a woman who is under very high risk may decide to have the surgery, I just hope it isn't overdone and that there aren't unscrupulous doctors out there pushing women to it for money.

She says she is also at 50% risk of getting ovarian cancer. Is she going to do anything about that as well?

Appears so.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-575 ... ased-risk/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/go ... 6481.story

Removal of the ovaries can reduce a woman's risk for ovarian cancer from 40 percent to less than 1 percent, Roman pointed out. Because the ovaries produce hormones, removing them also lowers the risk of developing some types of breast cancer as well.

Well, I hope she knows what she's doing with all of it. Good luck to her. After acting crazy all those years, I gained some respect for her recently.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sat May 18, 2013 12:51 pm

ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat May 18, 2013 3:13 pm

I can see that. She's probably hurting for cash and cutting off her boobs is the only way to change the situation.

Wait....what?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:17 pm

I believe he was referring to the timing of the procedure, not the procedure itself. Doh.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 am

ville5 wrote:http://www.naturalnews.com/040365_Angelina_Jolie_gene_patents_Supreme_Court_decision.html

That's a mindblowing article, even if we are to disregard Angelina in all of this. Money, patents, human rights, gene-patent ownership. I'll be honest and say I share the author's worries. If we had 50% increase of these procedures, then you know something is happening. I don't trust doctors or and you know the healthcare industry is mostly interested in making money. Are they scaring women into this? I would hope not generally, but I think there probably are some individuals looking to get paid. And you know some women are emotional wrecks, so just may get talked into something like this even if not needed. Anytime there is huge money to be made, I must remain sceptical.

I recommend reading other links within that article, such as this one.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040331_Susan_G_Komen_mammograms_breast_cancer.html
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 am

Article talks about increased media exposure to the topic and fear-mongering, and I think I can see what he's talking about. This article I just read is reason why I came back to this thread. You have 3 sisters who had it done. You know, someone somewhere asked if you would cut off your hand if you could lessen the 'chance' of getting cancer someday. Umm, no. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I'd rather deal with the bad when it comes.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/17/18323958-why-would-we-wait-3-sisters-face-jolies-cancer-dilemma?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:35 am

The author postulated on a talk show that the corporate ownership of gene "patents" would eventually lead to a couple having to pay for the right to give birth. Thus creating a trillion dollar industry.
Needless to say, this is a monumental decision coming from the Supreme Court.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 8:38 am

This country has been missing a massive criminal movement not seen since prohibition. That should be nice.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 am

ville5 wrote:The author postulated on a talk show that the corporate ownership of gene "patents" would eventually lead to a couple having to pay for the right to give birth. Thus creating a trillion dollar industry.
Needless to say, this is a monumental decision coming from the Supreme Court.

that's tin foil hat stuff right there
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 am

Sarcastic wrote: You know, someone somewhere asked if you would cut off your hand if you could lessen the 'chance' of getting cancer someday. Umm, no. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I'd rather deal with the bad when it comes.[/url]

There is a drastic difference between losing a hand and losing your breasts. I posed this question to several women this weekend (I was the king of odd conversation starters the past 2 days) and not a single one thought these two examples were equal.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR