Major DMCA amendment introduced

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Major DMCA amendment introduced

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun May 19, 2013 6:55 pm

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... ca-reform/

"Americans should not be subject to fines and criminal liability for merely unlocking devices and media they legally purchased," said Rep. Lofgren in a press release. "If consumers are not violating copyright or some other law, there's little reason to hold back the benefits of unlocking so people can continue using their devices."

would mean the end of encrypted media discs, carrier locked cell phones, and auto dealer locked diagnostics.

well maybe not the end, but the beginning of it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Major DMCA amendment introduced

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Bravo. I bought it, let me use it how I want.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Good news...
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 8:58 pm

What does it mean for PC video games and the copy pretection they often come with? I mostly moved away from PC games because of that...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/members-of-congress-finally-introduce-serious-dmca-reform/

"Americans should not be subject to fines and criminal liability for merely unlocking devices and media they legally purchased," said Rep. Lofgren in a press release. "If consumers are not violating copyright or some other law, there's little reason to hold back the benefits of unlocking so people can continue using their devices."

would mean the end of encrypted media discs, carrier locked cell phones, and auto dealer locked diagnostics.

well maybe not the end, but the beginning of it.

My guess is that it isn't THAT easy b/c cell phone carriers will argue that you are "leasing" the equipment by financing the remainder of the reduced rate with the contract of the phone (getting the normally $400 phone for $49 with a 2 year contract). Not sure how it would play out, but I know that's been the logic from their side on many things. I'd hate to be in a situation where I have to pay full price for the phone simply b/c 1% of the people who buy them want to unlock them.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon May 20, 2013 8:25 am

Does this guy want everything like Linux?
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

bhaw wrote: I'd hate to be in a situation where I have to pay full price for the phone simply b/c 1% of the people who buy them want to unlock them.

Tmobile is trying to get away from subsidizing phones. They offer lower monthly rates if you "bring your own device." Couple that with Google selling Nexus phones unlocked for $300-$350 and I think market pressure will drive phone prices down - they are artificially high. An Iphone has a few different pieces of hardware inside it than an Ipod Touch (antennas and I think a tougher screen) but not $300-$400 worth of materials.

If you're into new tech stuff you can also sell used unlocked phones for at least twice what the contract price is on that device. Allows you to buy another newer unlocked phone without spending much more.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:51 pm

no name wrote:Does this guy want everything like Linux?

I don't think thats the idea. Its more like why are you allowed to rip a CD but not a DVD? Why can automakers encrypt the codes cars spit out and FORCE you to go get a diagnostic done at a dealership?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NHR