YouTube Video Downloads

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

YouTube Video Downloads

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

I used to be able to download any video. Last thing I had was something called FVD. Now I get a message from FVD saying they have to respect Youtube's policy and that you can't download off them anymore. What the hell is Youtube doing. I haven't looked if I can dig the videos out of my cache, but if anyone has any addon for Chrome or Opera that still works, let me know the name.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: YouTube Video Downloads

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:52 pm

I just Google YouTube to mp3 converter and use the first one in the search results.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Internet Download Manager, has plugins available for most browsers that will insert a download button over most streaming video content.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm

- youtube to mp3 isn't good enough because sometimes I need to download the entire video, like a whole concert :o

- internet download manager actually works really well. problem is that i'm not paying $30 bucks. maybe I can find a serial number, but I never had to pay a dime to download a video off youtube or anywhere on the web.

- Willie pm'ed me with another option that I will try now.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Wanna share dat option or no? :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 am

mac5155 wrote:Wanna share dat option or no? :pop:

Sssssure.

I was using
http://flashvideodownloader.org/

Willie is using
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/

I tested his and it works very well and how an app like this is supposed to work, meaning, it automatically displays available file formats for download (like youtube has 360, 720, etc). What I don't like about the app is that it's pretty intrusive (so is the converter they have). You have to be careful how you install it because it comes with a toolbar and also an offer for a VPN service. It doesn't have a trojan or anything, but my virus scanner informed of me of the bundled junk. I also use an app that protects from anything executing on my PC without my approval and when I was installing it, the thing asked for so many permissions, it made me a bit uncomfortable. Anyway, it's safe and it works well, just the install is weird.

I wish the thing I previously used started working again because that was just a plugin for the browser and worked just like the app above and tif's internet download manager when it came to actual downloads.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed May 22, 2013 8:11 am

youtube to mp4?

youtube to flv?

Google both, plenty of options from browser plugins to pricey software that may require a serial number
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I've used the free version of You Tube Downloader for years. It's really good: http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

George Harrison's estate put up the Concert for George up on YT for 24 hours near his birthday recently, and I was able to download it in HD using this program. Very nice. Will also convert to other formats.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 pm

JS© wrote:youtube to mp4?

youtube to flv?

Google both, plenty of options from browser plugins to pricey software that may require a serial number

There used to be plenty of such plugins for Firefox where I would have to test like 5 or 10 different ones to see which one I want to stick with. I don't use Firefox anymore and it's a bit more difficult now to find something for Chrome or Opera. I would rather not use a website or a 3rd party app.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I've used the free version of You Tube Downloader for years. It's really good: http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

George Harrison's estate put up the Concert for George up on YT for 24 hours near his birthday recently, and I was able to download it in HD using this program. Very nice. Will also convert to other formats.

I'll see how that works. Again, I prefer a plugin for the browser... view a video, click, d/l.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 pm

This is one of my favorite software sites. It has freeware and payware, but lots of quality stuff. This is a search for 'youtube' stuff, so as you see there are plenty of options.

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?action=s&ref=2&st=youtube
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I've used the free version of You Tube Downloader for years. It's really good: http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

I'll see how that works. Again, I prefer a plugin for the browser... view a video, click, d/l.

This program pre-populates the URL field. So, say you're watching Rick Astley videos, open the YTD program, click in URL bar, and it will automatically fill it in. Not as handy as a browser app, but pretty close.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Should I ask the obvious question? (What YT's are you downloading?) :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 2:05 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Should I ask the obvious question? (What YT's are you downloading?) :pop:

usually music videos / concerts --- get your mind out of the gutter, there is no bad stuff on youtube, although there is some fun stuff i will download from time to time on "other" video sites, as these plugins/apps work on different websites too :pop:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 2:07 pm

see, why wouldn't one want to have this downloaded before youtube takes it down never to be seen again.

Last edited by Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 1:06 am

^ that is one hell of a concert if you're a sabbath fan. watching it now.

anyway, i emailed the guy who made the original thing i was using and he seemed surprised it wasn't working. asked me for more info and before i could email him back, the thing is working again. yay. :D

it's an extension for opera or chrome or firefox if you want to try it out. most convenient video downloader, imo.

just search for 'fvd video downloader' on the addons page for chrome
'flash video downloader' for opera
'flash video downloader' for firefox
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 am

wait a second. it is working for opera, but not for chrome. same message as before - some youtube policy bs. i gotta email the guy because he asked if it's happening for chrome or opera.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 am

i think i give up on chrome and this. when you go look for that addon it says right in the description:
Due to Chrome Webstore Policy users are not able to download Youtube Video. This is NOT Youtube Downloader!

it also seems to be done by a different author than the one for opera. weird because the name is the same and the big blue arrow
pointing down is also the same.

when you go here to the one I use, you can see they have it for opera, firefox, ie, but no chrome.

http://flashvideodownloader.org/

i think this could be a chrome/youtube/google policy that's the problem.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 am

i got confused because when i first thought it stopped working, i was on chrome and just installed that plugin. i did not try to download the video on opera at the time. i guess it never stopped working for opera lol
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 am

OK. I am going to post here again because the thread is getting enough looks.

So I'm talking to the dude and he emails me another version of the Chrome plugin and this one works great.

This is the guy from the Opera plugin I use, however notice that Chrome plugin is not listed on the company's page.

I don't know what to think of the Chrome policy on downloading either, as there are many legal apps that do just that.

Well, I don't care to know anymore. But this plugin I got now works on Chrome and it is different from the one currently available on the official Chrome addons page. That one is version 5.1.4. The one I got is 2.1.4. Maybe Chrome/Youtube used to allow it and now they don't? Oh, whatever. I got a working one. :P

Here's how it looks:

Spoiler:

If you want it, PM me or email FVD support.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 am

Well Google owns Chrome and YouTube, so I'm not surprised they don't want one product used to download stuff from the other. I think?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Well Google owns Chrome and YouTube, so I'm not surprised they don't want one product used to download stuff from the other. I think?

Well, I don't care about their policy. I have my own policy that states if something enters my computer in any way, goes onto my hard drive, shows up on my screen - even for a moment - I have a right to keep it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu May 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Sarcastic wrote:- internet download manager actually works really well. problem is that i'm not paying $30 bucks. maybe I can find a serial number, but I never had to pay a dime to download a video off youtube or anywhere on the web.

You know, I actually forgot the full version cost that much. I was able to expense it because I use it for work (DMCA takedowns and such), but that was like three years ago.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR