British soldier hacked to death - on a London street

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: British soldier hacked to death - on a London street

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'm getting more irritated that you pretend like I am completely ignorant about U.S. foreign policy. I fully understand its effects on radicalizing Muslims and angering the Arab world. My argument is that it doesn't justify two BRITISH Muslims that were BORN in Britain to slaughter an innocent man to death.

Maybe tomorrow, I will kill an African-American because Christians are being persecuted by Africans throughout much of Islamic Africa. See how much sense that makes?

Most people (especially on this board) are FULLY aware what effect our foreign policy has.

It doesn't justify it, of course. But it explains it. And there is no argument. I think the two sides here are tackling the same point just from the opposite end.

I don't think they are. MM seems to think this killing is ok because of US foreign policy

Well the murderers said so to that lady, didn't they?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Maybe instead of repeating things that most people on here are fully aware of and even agree with, doublem could explain what exactly her point is.

Or maybe it would be helpful if she just accepts that most people on here are aware of said things.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu May 23, 2013 6:35 pm

pretty sure doublem is a dude
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Pretty sure doublem is a dudette. Or is he/she?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
columbia wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Everything is the USA's fault.

At least, that's what doublem wants us to believe, I think.

Ron Paul will aslo have you believe that...which is why I'm a little confused by the vehemence of this discussion.
Some of his strongest supporters here seem to be forgetting that.

But what does US FoPo have to do with people killed in Britain?

The Ron Paul style paradigm would say that the UK has worked in concert with the US to kill Muslims and engage in imperialist activities and....well, they should expect blowback on their own soil.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 6:38 pm

We all agree that US has a crap policy that enrages muslims. Then we all agree that those angered muslims either blow themselevs up or try to do terrorist acts or what those 2 maniacs did. I don't understand what the argument is. Is there anyone here that doesn't see US' foreign policy as problematic? Even Bin Laden said that 911 happened because of that.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't think these lunatics are very particular when it comes to justifying whom and where to kill.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't think these lunatics are very particular when it comes to justifying whom and where to kill.

I guess we'll have to wait to find out exactly what happened.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu May 23, 2013 6:48 pm

With all due respect, I don't think very many people on this board or in this country do "get it".

Just take Iraq for example. Our sanctions in the '90's literally led to the deaths of 1 freaking million innocent people. That's 1,000,000. Children too. And it's never brought up. Or it gets an eye-roll or a ""meh". Which means that really, most Americans don't view Arabs as humans. If they did, that action in particular would be outrageous. That it accomplished absolutely nothing makes it all the more incredulous.

So what did those 1,000,000 people do to jusitify such a reprisal on behalf of us taxpayers?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby doublem on Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Gaucho wrote:Pretty sure doublem is a dudette. Or is he/she?

is a dude.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 7:43 pm

doublem wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Pretty sure doublem is a dudette. Or is he/she?

is a dude.

Whoops, sorry.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Thu May 23, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm clearly defending murder. the guy said it himself what else do you need?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I hate to defend doublem here, but at no point did he defend the actions of this guy. He has simply been pointing out exactly what the guy was saying into the camera after he did the awful thing that he did - that his despicable act was in retribution for what "western powers" have been doing in predominantly islamic countries for decades now. That isn't making excuses for the guy - that is repeating exactly what he himself said. And it is fruitful and important to recognize it as such, unless we enjoy seeing such events on our streets.

This is no more complex than the Hatfields and McCoys - you kill one of ours, I'm going to kill one of yours. It's really not all that hard to comprehend.

Western interventionism in the affairs of middle eastern countries goes back to the bloody crusades, for pity's sake. It defies logic and reason to suggest that radical islamic expansionism is the lone aggressive force in the world, or that it is even the most virulent form of it. One must be utterly ignorant of history to believe so. The record of modern U.S. interventionism in that region dates all the way back to the 1950's, which I suspect comes as a complete surprise to many. Again, it flies in the face of the historical record to suggest that modern "islamic" terrorism against the U.S. just sprang from the earth in the 1990's and 2000's without provocation.

As to whether or not Islam itself is a "backward" religion with barbaric rituals and customs... speaking as a Christian, I have to recognize that my religious predecessors went through a similar period of internal strife. That is not to excuse customs such as 'stoning', but to recognize that... well, it's none of my business - the fact remains that "Islamic barbarism" only impacts my life, even on the periphery, when the government which purports to represent me goes and sticks it's nose in their business, as a rule.

Additionally, the presumption that terrorism represents a general threat to the population at large is a function of state-directed propaganda, and has been uniquely responsible for the erosion of liberties from mere seconds after the towers fell until this very day, and as long as people continue to believe that there is such a thing as a safe, free existence, and/or that the state can provide it, it will continue until even the illusion of freedom you believe you have now evaporates.

Furthermore, and finally, it took the London police some 20 minutes to respond to this attack? Imagine if one of those bystanders had been armed. :pop:

Ahh... ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Guinness wrote:I hate to defend doublem here, but at no point did he defend the actions of this guy. He has simply been pointing out exactly what the guy was saying into the camera after he did the awful thing that he did - that his despicable act was in retribution for what "western powers" have been doing in predominantly islamic countries for decades now. That isn't making excuses for the guy - that is repeating exactly what he himself said. And it is fruitful and important to recognize it as such, unless we enjoy seeing such events on our streets.

This is no more complex than the Hatfields and McCoys - you kill one of ours, I'm going to kill one of yours. It's really not all that hard to comprehend.

Western interventionism in the affairs of middle eastern countries goes back to the bloody crusades, for pity's sake. It defies logic and reason to suggest that radical islamic expansionism is the lone aggressive force in the world, or that it is even the most virulent form of it. One must be utterly ignorant of history to believe so. The record of modern U.S. interventionism in that region dates all the way back to the 1950's, which I suspect comes as a complete surprise to many. Again, it flies in the face of the historical record to suggest that modern "islamic" terrorism against the U.S. just sprang from the earth in the 1990's and 2000's without provocation.

As to whether or not Islam itself is a "backward" religion with barbaric rituals and customs... speaking as a Christian, I have to recognize that my religious predecessors went through a similar period of internal strife. That is not to excuse customs such as 'stoning', but to recognize that... well, it's none of my business - the fact remains that "Islamic barbarism" only impacts my life, even on the periphery, when the government which purports to represent me goes and sticks it's nose in their business, as a rule.

Additionally, the presumption that terrorism represents a general threat to the population at large is a function of state-directed propaganda, and has been uniquely responsible for the erosion of liberties from mere seconds after the towers fell until this very day, and as long as people continue to believe that there is such a thing as a safe, free existence, and/or that the state can provide it, it will continue until even the illusion of freedom you believe you have now evaporates.

Furthermore, and finally, it took the London police some 20 minutes to respond to this attack? Imagine if one of those bystanders had been armed. :pop:

Ahh... ;)

I feel a little lame to just say "great post", but... well, great post.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 pm

The above reminds of someone having their first beer in 20 years and loving every sip of it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 pm

That's another great post.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:That's another great post.

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 23, 2013 8:57 pm

pitbull.gif
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Rylan wrote:Is everyone a cyclops?

I agree with this sentiment. Do people not realize they have two eyes?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yubb on Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:

Do "eye for an eye" twice and you have no eyes.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yubb on Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 am

Sarcastic wrote:
columbia wrote:To be fair, shad *is* a Ron Paul supporter.

Are there really any staunch Ron Paul supporters anymore?

I was a Ron Paul supporter before it was cool.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Fri May 24, 2013 2:03 pm

yubb wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:

Do "eye for an eye" twice and you have no eyes.

Yeah but y ya gotta pick on a guy with one eye?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Guinness wrote:
Spoiler:
I hate to defend doublem here, but at no point did he defend the actions of this guy. He has simply been pointing out exactly what the guy was saying into the camera after he did the awful thing that he did - that his despicable act was in retribution for what "western powers" have been doing in predominantly islamic countries for decades now. That isn't making excuses for the guy - that is repeating exactly what he himself said. And it is fruitful and important to recognize it as such, unless we enjoy seeing such events on our streets.

Ahh... ;)

:thumb:

columbia wrote:The above reminds of someone having their first beer in 20 years and loving every sip of it.

:lol: :thumb:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR