Home Security System

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Home Security System

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 am

Looking to have one installed. Any suggestions on (1) who to use/not use or (2) what to get/not get?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Home Security System

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am

Depends on your budget and what all you want it to do. Do you want it to send you a text message when your kid comes in the door at 3:00am or opens their bedroom window in the middle of the night to smoke a cigarette?

Do you want active monitoring like ADT does? Will it connect to the smoke detectors? Should your alarm tell you that a water pipe burst while you're own vacation? Left the hair straightener on?

When I get around to doing it I will use Homeseer. The guy who wrote this article doesn't really mention security, but there are a number of system plugins and the ability to interface with different component brands like Z-Wave. http://hometoys.com/emagazine.php?url=/ ... /index.htm
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 am

We have adt and haven't had any problems. What you need depends on how your house is. Most companies we met with were pretty good about saying what we needed and what we didn't really need.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 am

We have ADT. Got it installed during the construction of our home. They were pretty upfront with the options and didn't push anything beyond what we were looking for.

I like our service. We have the motion detector on the first floor for when we are away, and the sensors on the doors and some windows. I accidently set it off one day and they immediately came on the intercom asking if everything was ok.

You can go really big and get all the bells and whistles or just get the basic.

And if we ever stop our service, the system is already installed, and the doors will still beep when they open (just no security feature), so if one of our little kids goes outside, we know.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Large dog and guns
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:03 pm

thepittman wrote:Large dog and guns

Saw you had the most recent post, knew it would be this.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Okay, so two for ADT. I think we'll be going pretty basic. Or at least if my say wins out we will.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Kraftster wrote:I think we'll be going pretty basic. Or at least if my say wins out we will.

-Surely you can't put a price on your family's safety?

-I wouldn't have thought so either but here we are.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:10 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
thepittman wrote:Large dog and guns

Saw you had the most recent post, knew it would be this.

Have to satisfy my fans, the have certain expectations
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:14 pm

thepittman security system

newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Kraftster, I've been reading a lot of quality things about Frontpoint. The online reviews are all excellent from what I have seen as well.

http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:21 pm

I always wondered do you have to have a land based telephone line to do this? That would be an obstacle for me as I haven't had a landline in probably 10 years.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm

skullman80 wrote:I always wondered do you have to have a land based telephone line to do this? That would be an obstacle for me as I haven't had a landline in probably 10 years.

Frontpoint is totally wireless.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm

No you don't. At least not with all of them.

When I helped a friend install some of this stuff we put all the important components, like modem, wifi access point, fire alert module, etc, onto a battery backed uninterrupted power supply. the idea is that if their power goes out the phone still receives and makes calls and the DVR still records.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm

DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:28 pm

unless you want the ability to press a button to talk to the security company to get help, etc i can't see the need.

you really can do everything with zwave devices and home automation these days. there are finally zwave systems on the market at cheap prices that don't require a monthly fee so its pretty easy to do. you can get a micasa verde box that basically is the hub for all zwave devices for under $200 at a one time cost. then you can just keep adding various devices that you need.

right now i have a Kwikset deadbolt lock and some light switches but you could add motion sensors, outlets, etc. you can have the system send you texts when the door is unlocked and you can control the deadbolt remotely from you phone anywhere in the world. you can create what they call "scenes" so that say when you unlock the door the front door light comes on automatically, the temperature is set to 70 degrees, etc all with the push of a button on your phone. with all the zwave devices available if you want to learn the system i think you can easily do it well enough to not need a security company depending on the situation especially considering all the devices will pay for themselves over time when factoring in the cost of security.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 60sixx on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:37 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I always wondered do you have to have a land based telephone line to do this? That would be an obstacle for me as I haven't had a landline in probably 10 years.

Frontpoint is totally wireless.

I have FrontPoint and couldn't be happier. Loved the fact I could customize it to exactly what I need at a reasonable cost. Customer service is outstanding. System was a breeze to set up. Luckily I haven't needed it, but feel safer knowing it's there.

EDIT: also like the fact I can control and see activity from my cell phone. This may be "standard" with other companies, but I think some charge for this feature. FP does not.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Juice on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 am

I have vivint. I like it.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR