Fable 3 free on XBOXlive right now and E3 discussion

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fable 3 free on XBOXlive right now and E3 discussion

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:The only way you pay 700$ for a cell is by not signing a contract. I think.

Iphone 5 and Galaxy S4 are $700 without contract (One may be $650)
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:54 pm

thepittman wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:The only way you pay 700$ for a cell is by not signing a contract. I think.

Iphone 5 and Galaxy S4 are $700 without contract

Lol, a fraction of the cell phone population buys outside of contract. That's a silly comparison and you know that.

To add, not only are you paying $500 for the system and the novelty crap, you are then paying for xbox gold, etc
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Tmobile costs several hundred dollars less over the course of a 2 year contract if you bring your own phone, but thats a different point.

$499 will be a tough sell if Sony comes in less. Especially if Sony's used game and internet policies are less strict.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:55 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

Iphone 5 and Galaxy S4 are $700 without contract

Lol, a fraction of the cell phone population buys outside of contract. That's a silly comparison and you know that.

To add, not only are you paying $500 for the system and the novelty crap, you are then paying for xbox gold, etc

You would be surprised how many people buy phones out of contract.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:

Tmobile costs several hundred dollars less over the course of a 2 year contract if you bring your own phone, but thats a different point.

$499 will be a tough sell if Sony comes in less. Especially if Sony's used game and internet policies are less strict.

I couldn't imagine the PS4 costing less because they have more horsepower in the box. I would think that they would try to match if they can.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 pm

You could compare it to what tablets cost if you wanted, or really anything other new tech out there.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm

thepittman wrote:I couldn't imagine the PS4 costing less because they have more horsepower in the box. I would think that they would try to match if they can.

What makes you think that? Like I said, I think they are both nearly identical 8 core Jaguar APUs.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:18 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
thepittman wrote:I couldn't imagine the PS4 costing less because they have more horsepower in the box. I would think that they would try to match if they can.

What makes you think that? Like I said, I think they are both nearly identical 8 core Jaguar APUs.

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm

NEW STARWARS BATTLEFRONT wooooooooooooooooo
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:24 pm

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:27 pm

that RAM spec on the PS4 is pretty nuts - definitely cutting edge. I doubt the developers will know how to utilize it early on but several years from now that will be a huge asset.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:29 pm

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:that RAM spec on the PS4 is pretty nuts - definitely cutting edge. I doubt the developers will know how to utilize it early on but several years from now that will be a huge asset.

Yeah that is what drives the price up. Both companies took a note from Nintendo and got away from the arms race for performance though. It's all about user experience now.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:50 pm

I am soooo getting the PS4. :P
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I am soooo getting the PS4. :P

I'm getting both :fist:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Xbox is in trouble.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Rylan wrote:Xbox is in trouble.

They'll drop the price...

I'm buying a PS4, I made that decision before I saw the prices. I need to unload my Xbox with all the games and accessories now. Haha.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Hardly. They have built up brand loyalty. I play Xbox exclusively and have no desire to change based on price point. I have a group of ten people I game with frequently and they all say the same and I imagine we are just a small portion of the nation that feels the same way
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Fable 3 free on XBOXlive right now

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 pm

thepittman wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Is it free for gold members? And if so how long?

No idea, it is just set to free.

Also this happened at E3 today-

Free Assassins Creed 2 and Halo 3 starting July first. Two free games will be released every month until the XBOXone release

Got it now thanks :thumb:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Hardly. They have built up brand loyalty. I play Xbox exclusively and have no desire to change based on price point. I have a group of ten people I game with frequently and they all say the same and I imagine we are just a small portion of the nation that feels the same way

Plus I assume there is backwards compatibility so xbox owners will continue to buy Xbox, play station owners will continue to buy play station
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:Hardly. They have built up brand loyalty. I play Xbox exclusively and have no desire to change based on price point. I have a group of ten people I game with frequently and they all say the same and I imagine we are just a small portion of the nation that feels the same way

Plus I assume there is backwards compatibility so xbox owners will continue to buy Xbox, play station owners will continue to buy play station

Sony has also built brand loyalty. Besides those aren't the customers that are on the fence as to what system they will purchase. Sony is winning the battleground consumers, those that are not set in stone to only buy microsoft, nintendo, or whatever other system. This is where Microsoft is running in trouble. The amount of negative press that has come out a mere 5 months before launch will hurt their first year sales. Xbox will be running damage control for 5 months to recoup some of the sales they are losing because of the features they wanted in the xbox. All Sony has to do is stay the course and the price alone will make the PS4 a much easier system.

As for backwards compatibility, the 360 wasn't backwards compatible and I don't see XBOXOne being backwards compatible either.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 am

Rylan wrote:As for backwards compatibility, the 360 wasn't backwards compatible and I don't see XBOXOne being backwards compatible either.

It was. I distinctly remember playing multiple Xbox games on 360 when it first came out. Hell, the first game I played on Live was Halo 2.

If there's any complaints about backwards compatibility, it should be directed towards the Playstation, which I believe offers very little backwards compatibility (from personal experience).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 am

It steams me about the no backwards compatibility. They're basically thumbing their noses at the generation of people who supported their products, purchased their games and dlc to go a long with it, also a generation of 60$ a year Xbox Live Gold membership. Maybe I'm not understanding it, is there an issue with the new processors and such that would cause problems with BC? I'm assuming that isn't the case based on the original PS3 being BC. When I was working at gamestop those models were like the golden ticket, everyone wanted one for the vast amount of PS2 games that to this day are still a good play, and they were not an easy find.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 am

Just google'd it. There were certain games that the Xbox 360 could play. So I was wrong. But it was limited.

Sony tried to have the PS3 be backwards compatible but it drove the cost of the system up which thwarted sales early. They had special hardware that was needed to play PS2 games. The way the PS3 is set up with its processors is that each does a very specific task. It wasn't like a normal computer where are the information gets dumped into a pool and each processor does a fair share and because of this it was extremely difficult to code for.

From Wiki:

PS3 are not backwards compatible with PS2 games because all hardware chips from the former console are omitted and there is no software emulation. However, all versions of the PS3 are able to play PS1 games.

The PS2 hardware chips plus the other excess the PS3 offered at launch was why it was ridiculously priced. They gave the consumer everything they asked for, but they didn't want to afford the price. Sony cut out a lot of these things and the PS3 sales recovered. That was the PS3's issue. The PS4 won't be backwards compatible because they are changing how the games will be coded for the system by how the processors will work, dumping the system the PS3 had in favor of a more traditional computer.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR