Fable 3 free on XBOXlive right now and E3 discussion

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fable 3 free on XBOXlive right now and E3 discussion

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:16 pm

My brother's PS3 couldn't play my PS1 games :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Well then your ps1 game was broken. All PS3 can play PS1 games.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Couldn't play NHL Faceoff 2001. I got the PS1 out and it worked fine.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Idk. I still play the ps1 games that I enjoy on my PS3. I played NHL 97 earlier and Crash 3. So idk what the glitch was with yours.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:11 am

Rylan wrote:Just google'd it. There were certain games that the Xbox 360 could play. So I was wrong. But it was limited.

Sony tried to have the PS3 be backwards compatible but it drove the cost of the system up which thwarted sales early. They had special hardware that was needed to play PS2 games. The way the PS3 is set up with its processors is that each does a very specific task. It wasn't like a normal computer where are the information gets dumped into a pool and each processor does a fair share and because of this it was extremely difficult to code for.

From Wiki:

PS3 are not backwards compatible with PS2 games because all hardware chips from the former console are omitted and there is no software emulation. However, all versions of the PS3 are able to play PS1 games.

The PS2 hardware chips plus the other excess the PS3 offered at launch was why it was ridiculously priced. They gave the consumer everything they asked for, but they didn't want to afford the price. Sony cut out a lot of these things and the PS3 sales recovered. That was the PS3's issue. The PS4 won't be backwards compatible because they are changing how the games will be coded for the system by how the processors will work, dumping the system the PS3 had in favor of a more traditional computer.

What do you mean there is no software emulation for PS2 (on PS3). There is an app you can install from the PSN store that lets you play PS2 games. I think that's what it says in the description. Has anyone tried it? I never did because I have a new and working PS2.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 am

I think PS3 selling for a hundred bucks less is a big deal and I agree with Rylan. Fanboys will be fanboys, but I am curious how the general public will react. Add these facts and I think PS3 is at an advantage:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/sony-s-ps4-to-cost-399-in-us-349-in-the-uk-1157925

Well done...

Not only did Sony announce a number of big name titles heading to its console, including the PS4 and PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy XV, it didn't miss the chance to do the exact opposite of Microsoft on a number of features.

Among them is no need for an online check-in, even for authentication purposes, unlike the every-24-hours requirement of the Xbox One.

The PS4 also has no used game restrictions, and owners can lend a game to their friends, trade it in at retail or sell it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:18 am

That whole new policy from Microsoft that you can only give a game away to a friend '1 time' is total BS and I think it will piss off enough people. Also, what does MS mean about being able to sell games to 'participating stores'? How about FREAKING as individual sellers at Amazon or on Ebay where most of used game selling takes place!?!? That alone would make me give the XBox a swift kick in the ass, if I'm being perfectly honest.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:08 am

Sarcastic wrote:
Rylan wrote:Just google'd it. There were certain games that the Xbox 360 could play. So I was wrong. But it was limited.

Sony tried to have the PS3 be backwards compatible but it drove the cost of the system up which thwarted sales early. They had special hardware that was needed to play PS2 games. The way the PS3 is set up with its processors is that each does a very specific task. It wasn't like a normal computer where are the information gets dumped into a pool and each processor does a fair share and because of this it was extremely difficult to code for.

From Wiki:

PS3 are not backwards compatible with PS2 games because all hardware chips from the former console are omitted and there is no software emulation. However, all versions of the PS3 are able to play PS1 games.

The PS2 hardware chips plus the other excess the PS3 offered at launch was why it was ridiculously priced. They gave the consumer everything they asked for, but they didn't want to afford the price. Sony cut out a lot of these things and the PS3 sales recovered. That was the PS3's issue. The PS4 won't be backwards compatible because they are changing how the games will be coded for the system by how the processors will work, dumping the system the PS3 had in favor of a more traditional computer.

What do you mean there is no software emulation for PS2 (on PS3). There is an app you can install from the PSN store that lets you play PS2 games. I think that's what it says in the description. Has anyone tried it? I never did because I have a new and working PS2.

As far as I know, as the newer models of PS3s were made, they were removing chips necessary for perfect emulation. They started out basically having the PS2 on the Motherboard. Then they cut that out and changed it up (GPUs and stuff I don't know much about) and then finally,there were more things reduced to trying to emulate the PS2 through just the PS3s main hardware and it failed miserably, like 30% of all PS2 games were compatible and I believe they ended up being glitchy. So instead of having that cluster****, Sony decided to disable all PS2 disc based games and began working on PS2 classics on the PSN. The PS2 classics available are games that fell into that 30% and were reworked to eliminate as many issues as possible. The emulation you can get on the PS3 Network is not something that works for all games, IIRC it was for a specific game or group of games. It was basically intended for the 80GB systems that had full backwards compatibility with little to no problems.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 am

Yeah, only the 60gb console had the real chip. The 80gb one had software emulation that worked mostly well as far as I know, but not as well as the true 60gb. 40gb did not have anything. You're saying some of the PS2 titles are simply not compatible with PS3 and never could be? That's interesting because I don't know what the difference would be from one game to another. I'm going to email Sony support and ask about that PS2 emulation app they have.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:41 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:Hardly. They have built up brand loyalty. I play Xbox exclusively and have no desire to change based on price point. I have a group of ten people I game with frequently and they all say the same and I imagine we are just a small portion of the nation that feels the same way

Plus I assume there is backwards compatibility so xbox owners will continue to buy Xbox, play station owners will continue to buy play station

Xbox One has no backwards compatibility at all. The only thing that transfers from your current system is your gamerscore. XBLA games will also not transfer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/ ... compatible

I don't think the PS4 is offering it either though.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 am

Have they explained how live will work? Can I use a live account on both consoles?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 am

what is the negative press re: xbox? i havent kept up with anything
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:47 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is the negative press re: xbox? i havent kept up with anything

I think the two biggest things are... you have to connect every 24 hours or you can't play your games offline, and the used game policy. IE where you can only lend/give your game to a friend who has been on your friends list for at least 30 days, and you can only lend the game once.

The price point of 499$ seemed to get pretty big negative reaction at E3 yesterday as well.

The online thing really doesn't effect me as I am always connected anyways, but the fact that microsoft is telling you that you cannot play a game that you paid for OFFLINE without the console checking into the internet after 24 hours is silly. You should be able to play a game offline regardless of internet connection.

This link gives pretty good details...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/ ... ays-online
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 am

regarding Playstation backwards compatibility/emulation:

like Sarcastic said, the early/huge systems had a PS2 inside the case. when they made the move to software emulation is when many games quit working. there would be two main causes of this. first the game might have made use of the hardware in a novel way that was not coded for in the emulator. second the game might have just pushed the envelope on what the PS2 chip could do and the PS3 hardware was just not powerful enough to emulate it.

My AMD Trinity APU is a different architecture from the Jaguar one going into the new systems, but just as a point of reference my 6 month old quad core struggles to play 10 year old GAMECUBE games at 1080p. Emulation is just extremely hardware intensive and with the move from PowerPC processors to x86 processors the games would require 100% emulation to run and I think that's probably asking too much of either system.

Especially at first I can see why this would anger people but I think two years down the line when both have larger game libraries and a few AAA exclusives that people will start to forget about their 360s and PS3s.

PS4's $400 price vs the One's $500, coupled with the Xbox's restrictions, will definitely hurt Microsoft sales. I don't see any way around that. Compatibility with a bunch of games you already own won't be such a big deal since neither does that. Unless you are hell bent on playing Halo or Gears of War I don't know that most people would find more value in the extra $100 cost, extra online cost, and lack of secondary game market.

Gamestop and other who deal in used games will still sell and support the One, but its obvious their preference is going to be Sony all the way.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Have they explained how live will work? Can I use a live account on both consoles?

Live uses the same account you have now
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to NHR