Might be losing my Dish - cable & dvr advice

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Might be losing my Dish - cable & dvr advice

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Due to the fact that I basically live in a forest, it's looking like my signal strength is going to be too poor to keep my Dish. DirectTV isn't an option either so all that really leaves is cable. :(

Comcast is the only option in my area and I'm wondering what their DVR is like. I love my Hopper and Prime Time Anytime from Dish. Is there anything with many tuners available from Comcast? If not, can I buy something from a 3rd party? I freaking hate cable. :cry:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Might be losing my Dish - cable & dvr advice

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:If not, can I buy something from a 3rd party? I freaking hate cable. :cry:

Tivo Premier XL4 w/ Tivo Mini Clients - 4 tuners

If you're a tech friendly person then a HTPC running Windows Media Center with Xbox 360s, Ceton Echos, or one of the discontinued models of extender. I've seen people with WMC setups using 12-16 tuners. I only use two tuners, Shmenguin has at least seven.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:55 pm

With Tivo you need to either make a large upfront cash commitment for lifetime service, or buy the box for a lower price and pay $17ish a month for their guide listings (LITT has a Tivo - he knows what it costs).

WMC is included in most versions of Windows 7 and as an add on for some version of Windows 8. My HTPC is has an AMD A10-5800k processor and 8GB of ram. I have two extenders - an Xbox 360 (that I connect to my Slingbox) and a Linksys DMA 2100.

I think either way you slice it your minimum cost for just the box alone (and no extenders which are like the Joeys) is probably in the $800 area. Either for a PC with a four tuners or a Tivo Premiere with four tuners and lifetime service.
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:If not, can I buy something from a 3rd party? I freaking hate cable. :cry:

Tivo Premier XL4 w/ Tivo Mini Clients - 4 tuners

If you're a tech friendly person then a HTPC running Windows Media Center with Xbox 360s, Ceton Echos, or one of the discontinued models of extender. I've seen people with WMC setups using 12-16 tuners. I only use two tuners, Shmenguin has at least seven.

yeah, 7 tuners installed on 1 PC. i use that one as my main DVR, and i farm the spare tuners out to a tiny box that fits behind the mounted flat screen in my bedroom.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Unfortunately, I'm not overly tech friendly when it comes to this kind of thing.

I noticed the Tivo isn't a "whole home" DVR. I really only need a DVR on one tv but I do need the other TV to have access to live TV. If I go with Comcast, can I use the Tivo on my main TV and have a regular cable box at the other unit?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not overly tech friendly when it comes to this kind of thing.

I noticed the Tivo isn't a "whole home" DVR. I really only need a DVR on one tv but I do need the other TV to have access to live TV. If I go with Comcast, can I use the Tivo on my main TV and have a regular cable box at the other unit?

Not quite true anymore. Tivo Minis are their equivalent of the Joeys. http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/11/tivo-mini-review/

And yes, you could stick a Tivo in the main viewing location and get a regular box in the secondary. If all you watch is local channels in the second location (not likely but still) you don't need any box at all.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 pm

i really would like to hire PS33 and shmenguin to build and install a setup like theirs' in my place :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm

mac5155 wrote:i really would like to hire PS33 and shmenguin to build and install a setup like theirs' in my place :pop:

it works great if you are committed to not tinkering with it. Set it up, turn off windows updates, lock the settings, lock it so you can never leave the media interface and go to the desktop, and never update a driver or install any new software/hardware, and you shouldn't have any troubles.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm

redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Sounds like you need a chainsaw.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Pretty much. Unfortunately, the trees that are causing the issues aren't mine. I doubt the neighbors would care if I brought in a tree trimming company, but it isn't really worth the cost.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 pm

if you are determined to get a satellite signal is almost always possible. it may require mounting the dish on a pole somewhere in the middle of your yard on your property and running a really long chord, but its almost always possible. all you need to find is one place that has a clear view, running the chord and mounting it aren't that hard.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 pm

I bit the bullet and went with Comcast and I'm already regretting it. They told me I was eligible for xfinity on demand but I couldn't get it to work. I called tech support and they said it's not actually available in my area. I also found out after installation that Showtime isn't available in HD in my area. Sorry, but how in the heck is that possible? This isn't 1999.

I called DirecTV to have them send a tech out to see if there's anywhere they could put a dish. They can put a pole anywhere if it would work.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I bit the bullet and went with Comcast and I'm already regretting it. They told me I was eligible for xfinity on demand but I couldn't get it to work. I called tech support and they said it's not actually available in my area. I also found out after installation that Showtime isn't available in HD in my area. Sorry, but how in the heck is that possible? This isn't 1999.

I called DirecTV to have them send a tech out to see if there's anywhere they could put a dish. They can put a pole anywhere if it would work.

just explain to the tech you really need to find a place to get a signal. its all going to depend on the tech, if he is cool then you are good. if he is lazy he may just say no chance for signal and move on.

you should be able to tell if yo can get a signal. do you have a clear view anywhere on your property? also, if you do need to use a pole go buy it at home depot or they'll charge you like $80 for the pole when you could buy it for $10 or so
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 pm

From the ground, I probably don't have a direct line of sight. My property slopes down toward the woods so it's pretty limiting. From the roof, there might be a line of site depending on how high in the sky the satellites are.

The dish guy the other day was super lazy. He actually told me to cancel my service and download everything from the pirate bay.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR