Scamming Season at Sheetz

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Scamming Season at Sheetz

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 am

I told this story about 2 years ago in JToR

In September when my wife and I were coming home from Pittsburgh we stopped at a rest area on the turnpike right before Breezewood. There was a guy driving around in a blue dodge caravan asking for money to "get home to Tennessee". I had no cash and didn't give him anything. I watched him drive around for a while and he got some money. He then pulled up to the gas station and went inside.

At this time we were ready to leave the parking lot and get some gas and as I was walking inside I noticed the van was running and the window was down. I also noticed some odd pictures and newspaper clippings inside. I can't totally remember what I saw but I'm pretty sure one was a mug shot of the guy. He's a rather large scary looking dude. He scared the crap out of me when he came up behind me and asked "What are you doing?" I told him the van was running and I wanted to make sure everything was ok. He then proceeded to say some rather not nice and violent things to my wife and I. He followed us into the gas station and continued. We just ignored him and eventually went on our way.

Fast forward to this past Monday morning at our local gas station in Urbana, MD (read: 100 miles from the rest stop). A dude in a blue caravan is driving around, DRIVING AROUND, asking for money to get home to Tennessee. It took me a minute but I finally realized it was the same guy. He asked me for money and I said no. I then told the guy pumping gas across from me that I saw him 5 months ago in PA. This dude must have crazy good hearing because he drove back and started telling me not to talk *charcoal* about him. He then proceeded to tell me it's my God given duty to give to anyone in need. He's right about that and I had about 5 scriptures that came to mind that I wanted to quote back about bearing false witness, not being a hypocrite and so on but I again just ignored him and we left.

If you're "trying to get home to Tennessee" and you only traveled 100 miles in the last 5 months then you need a map. Also, to get to Urbana from Breezewood you almost certainly pass I-81 which would be the road you take from I-70 to get to Tennessee. Also, why are you DRIVING AROUND A PARKING LOT asking for gas money? You're wasting gas.

I've never run into a scam artist twice in two different states before.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 am

I've never had any issue saying "i don't have any cash" then walk away.....and sometimes it isn't even true.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 am

I once told some guy in Oakland I didn't have cash while standing at the ATM. That was fun.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 am

I always say that I don't have cash. Its always true. By the way, i'm pretty sure I encountered this same guy in Columbia a couple weeks ago.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 am

Dude probably makes more money a year than I do, good for him.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 am

This happens pretty frequently at a gas station thats a few blocks over from me. I was just telling my friend this weekend how its weird that our gas station seems to be the only one in the world where out of towners run out of gas with no money/card to get more so they can get home. This just happend to me about 2 weeks ago. Usually I so I dont have cash, but this guy basically met me as I stepped out of the car and I was wearing shorts w/o pockets so I had cash in my hand. The guy was in town for his cancer screening and it came back positive for liver cancer. Also his son just got deployed to Afghanistan. He really went to the whole nine yards. His card didnt work and he was out of gas to get home to see his family and his son before he got shipped out. Not that I really believed him, but I just told him I'd give him my change when I was done, because on the off chance this guys story was legit, I didnt want to risk ignoring a cancer patient who's losing his son and can't get home to see his family, all while I skip past him getting in my nice car with the 12 pack of beer I was there to purchase. So I gave him $3 of my change but its really not something I do often. I'm much more inclined to give some money when I see someone in town on a park bench and a pile of clothes with them because they are obviously homeless and need money.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:58 am

Some guy came up to me, quoting scripture / saying how he felt like I was a sign of good things to come from Jesus and some sob story about needing $ to get home (a very long / overly friendly rant). Before I finished saying "Sorry, I never carry cash" he was already walking away without saying anything else
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:58 am

I'm sure it would be different if I lived in a city and ran into people like this every day, bur I usually give people like this a couple bucks. Last year a guy was sitting at the road in front of Walmart with his dog and a sign reading, "Hungry". I watched at least 20 cars drive past him so I turned around and proceeded to go to subway and get a sub, a soda and a cup of water for the dog. I brought them back to him and he practically cried when I gave it to him. My friend told me I was nuts and that people like that are all running scams. Maybe he was but I can live without that 8 bucks. If there was even a slight chance he was legit, it was worth it to me.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:58 am

I lived in Oakland for four years, I have no trouble telling people no. I'm sure there are people out there who are truly in need, but I think about the circumstances I'd need to be in to ask strangers for money at a gas station, and it seems highly implausible.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 pm

pfim wrote:I lived in Oakland for four years, I have no trouble telling people no. I'm sure there are people out there who are truly in need, but I think about the circumstances I'd need to be in to ask strangers for money at a gas station, and it seems highly implausible.

I've twice been in a situation where my cell phone died and I needed to make a quick call to someone to get home. Once I asked someone and they gave it to me right away, another time it took like 3-4 people... So I guess I've semi been in similar circumstances twice
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm

pfim wrote:I lived in Oakland for four years, I have no trouble telling people no. I'm sure there are people out there who are truly in need, but I think about the circumstances I'd need to be in to ask strangers for money at a gas station, and it seems highly implausible.

one of the nice things in oakland is you learn real quick whos just trying to make a quick buck off of young kids and whos really broke and down on their time.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 pm

The "I need money to get to x location" story never results in me giving someone money.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Is the homeless guy with the sombrero still down there, or did he die a long time ago? This was in the late 90/early 00s.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:Lol, yinz guys wouldn't last a second in a major city. Ignore it and move on, what's the issue?

So we should rightfully get furious when asked to donate a dollar by some cashier to Children's Miracle Network, but shouldn't be bothered by some deadbeat trying to scam us?

:lol:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm

I've been hit up by beggars with similar stories in he past -- right up to yesterday as a matter of fact. I just use the no cash thing. While these people are annoying they usually go to their next mark after a "no" - the people that get me the most are the crust punks or "travelers". The really grungy early-mid 20s types that are on a path across America living the hobo lifestyle in order to find themselves. Find yourself a bath, bro you stink. And they usually have dogs wit them which is even more bothersome to me because these animals are being forced to live a vagabond lifestyle in the elements.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:Is the homeless guy with the sombrero still down there, or did he die a long time ago? This was in the late 90/early 00s.

he was more or less gone by the mid 2000's. his fate is unknown
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:41 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:They do this in downtown Pittsburgh all the time. Its usually $$$ for the bus.

When they'd approach me, I would say "I don't have cash, but I'll give you a bus ticket." They'd walk away. It got to the point they caught on and didn't even bother to approach me.

That has now been foiled since PAT is getting rid of tickets. Have to think of a safer response than "F off!" :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:43 pm

llipgh2 wrote:That has now been foiled since PAT is getting rid of tickets. Have to think of a safer response than "F off!" :lol:

"Do you have a Square for your iPhone?"
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 pm

This happened to me in VA, but it was a semi cute coke looking chick so I gave her a $5.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pen48guins on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Working in Baltimore City you have a lot of people asking for money. A lot are legit homeless. I don't give them a dime. Too many of them spend it on cheap vodka and pass out on the sidewalk and then we have to haul them to the hospital. On the occasion I stop somewhere to get something to eat I have the homeless ask if I can buy them a burger or something. I'll always buy them food. I'll give them food out of my lunch box if I have to.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 pm

I used to walk to work through the inner harbor every day in Baltimore, on the way to and from work. Heard some good ones over the 3-4 years that I worked there.

No way to know for sure, but I'm fairly certain none of them were from homeless people, or from people who weren't scamming.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Pen48guins wrote:Working in Baltimore City you have a lot of people asking for money. A lot are legit homeless. I don't give them a dime. Too many of them spend it on cheap vodka and pass out on the sidewalk and then we have to haul them to the hospital. On the occasion I stop somewhere to get something to eat I have the homeless ask if I can buy them a burger or something. I'll always buy them food. I'll give them food out of my lunch box if I have to.

Maybe you just just get a half gallon of cheap vodka, pour it into those mini water bottles, and distribute it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Pen48guins wrote:Working in Baltimore City you have a lot of people asking for money. A lot are legit homeless. I don't give them a dime. Too many of them spend it on cheap vodka and pass out on the sidewalk and then we have to haul them to the hospital. On the occasion I stop somewhere to get something to eat I have the homeless ask if I can buy them a burger or something. I'll always buy them food. I'll give them food out of my lunch box if I have to.

To be fair, that's exactly what I'd be doing if I was homeless. I'm not joking either.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:31 pm

There was a scam in Pittsburgh a few years ago. A lot of men would position themselves in front of the various churches throughout the Oakland section of town, with signs claiming they were vets from Viet Nam, Desert Storm, etc. They would collect a nice tidy sum each weekend.

They then branched out, begging during the week on the streets of Oakland. The story of the "homeless vets" began to unravel when a far too young man was holding a "Homeless Viet Nam Vet" sign.

Turns out none were vets, they were all just running a scam. Each were clearing up to $800 a weekend, some even more. Probably would still be scamming if they didn't get greedy and start begging during the week.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:39 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Is the homeless guy with the sombrero still down there, or did he die a long time ago? This was in the late 90/early 00s.

he was more or less gone by the mid 2000's. his fate is unknown

What about the "Help me please" guy? He would yell across and up and down the street. Last I was there was in the mid 90's.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR