Something that really needs to stop...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Something that really needs to stop...

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 pm

So, I'm getting a pack of cigarettes today at Rite Aid and for like the 5th time in the past two weeks, I'm asked if I wanted to donate a dollar to some charity. I didn't want to feel like a ******* AGAIN, so I decided to do it this time, I'm such a great person, right? Later on in the day, I go to McDonald's, not the most uplifting part of my day, but at least I get to indulge in the only other part of my day that's less healthy than cigarettes. I go up to the drive-thru to pay, "Sir, would you like to donate a dollar to Charity X". This time, I politely declined, instead of just ringing up my order, she proceeded to try and persuade me to do it and make me feel like an ******* because I wasn't donating just a bit of my money so that some kid wouldn't die that night.

If I want to donate money to a charity, I'll do that. Stop **** ambushing me everytime I want to get a friggin Snickers bar, jeez.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Something that really needs to stop...

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:37 pm

I just say no.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Look at it from the other side ...

I run a not-for-profit charity, so I'm often asking for money. I hate it. But I know the rewards that can come from just a small percentage of people giving.

Now, I'm always challenged by the fact that I don't want to pressure people to give. BUT -- pressure works. What am I to do: pressure people (which makes me and them feel bad) and get more money for my charity which I know will do a lot of good ... OR ... not pressure and hope that people will give anyway? Of course, they usually won't give in that case and therefore my worthwhile charity doesn't get the money it desperately needs.

It's the last point that is most important: unless pressured, most people won't give. I hate pressuring and stubbornly refuse do it, so my poor charity suffers. I wish I was a religion or something where I could get fanatical people to relentlessly beg in my place ...
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cagsjr724 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 pm

redwill wrote:Look at it from the other side ...

I run a not-for-profit charity, so I'm often asking for money. I hate it. But I know the rewards that can come from just a small percentage of people giving.

Now, I'm always challenged by the fact that I don't want to pressure people to give. BUT -- pressure works. What am I to do: pressure people (which makes me and them feel bad) and get more money for my charity which I know will do a lot of good ... OR ... not pressure and hope that people will give anyway? Of course, they usually won't give in that case and therefore my worthwhile charity doesn't get the money it desperately needs.

It's the last point that is most important: unless pressured, most people won't give. I hate pressuring and stubbornly refuse do it, so my poor charity suffers. I wish I was a religion or something where I could get fanatical people to relentlessly beg in my place ...

If you don't mind me asking, what is your charity?
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pen48guins on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 am

I don't give to charities and I don't feel bad.

I have volunteered a whole crap load of hours of my time for the greater good.

I'll keep my dollar in my bank account.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 am

Cagsjr724 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is your charity?

I run a dog rescue.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 am

Getting To My Game wrote:So, I'm getting a pack of cigarettes today at Rite Aid and for like the 5th time in the past two weeks, I'm asked if I wanted to donate a dollar to some charity. I didn't want to feel like a ******* AGAIN, so I decided to do it this time, I'm such a great person, right? Later on in the day, I go to McDonald's, not the most uplifting part of my day, but at least I get to indulge in the only other part of my day that's less healthy than cigarettes. I go up to the drive-thru to pay, "Sir, would you like to donate a dollar to Charity X". This time, I politely declined, instead of just ringing up my order, she proceeded to try and persuade me to do it and make me feel like an ******* because I wasn't donating just a bit of my money so that some kid wouldn't die that night.

If I want to donate money to a charity, I'll do that. Stop **** ambushing me everytime I want to get a friggin Snickers bar, jeez.

lol

You're a softie. Just say No Thanks next time.

Having said that, not so long ago, I was at McDonalds and a bum came in asking for some change, so I instead gave him my unopened Big Mac (then bought me another after I was done with my nuggetz). He was sooooooo happy, so that felt pretty cool.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 am

Put yourself in the person's shoes that is probably forced to ask. That person working the counter at McD's probably makes a hair above minimum wage and if they don't ask you to donate they get their stones busted.

I used to feel the same way about charity. I would never donate at the grocery store, Sheetz, whevever because my thought was that I don't like "knee-jerk donations". I'll donate to a charity on my own after some research. I've laxed up on that decision a bit.

Redwill is right. People don't donate willingly to charities they can't connect with. If someone has or knows someone with ALS, they'll donate to these charities easily and even search them out. I'm sure Redwill has a hard time getting people to donate to his rescue because "They're just dogs. They're not human." If you can't relate, you rarely donate. I posted last week here about donations for a charity hockey tournament that raises money for MS. I got zero donations. I don't have MS, nor does anyone close to me. I actually never gave a 2nd thought to MS until I played in this tourney last year. I figured I might as well try and raise some money. I had my girlfriend post it to her Facebook. You know, Facebook, where everyone freely and frequently expresses their opinions about what's wrong with the world and how to make it better; shockingly, no one put their money where their mouth is, and I received zero donations there either.

I'd rather donate to a charity, then have the government steal the money from me and divvy it out as they see fit. Too bad I don't have much choice in that matter. There are a lot of ways to skim off the top, too. Charity is noble, but not all charities are noble. I'm sure Redwill drives around in a Mercedes. ;)
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 am

yubb wrote:I'm sure Redwill drives around in a Mercedes. ;)

Several, in fact. At the same time. Charity is a sweet deal. :lol:
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 am

its always bothered me that a place like rite-aid would sell cigarettes.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:29 am

canaan wrote:its always bothered me that a place like rite-aid would sell cigarettes.

Why?

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am

I have no problem with them asking, but if they pushed beyond my no, I like to think I would just walk away from the counter and buy nothing. I've never had that issue though, so I can't be sure.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I have no problem with them asking, but if they pushed beyond my no, I like to think I would just walk away from the counter and buy nothing. I've never had that issue though, so I can't be sure.

Yeah, I've never had an issue of someone overly pushing me to donate at a place like McDonalds or Sheetz. I've gotten phone calls where the person is pushy and I can just hang up, but never where I've gone in to purchase something like Sheetz or McDonalds.

I do understand some of the pushing, but for me (and this is just me) I give to a lot of charities, and I just can't give to all of them. I think there is a fine line of how far to push.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 pm

I almost always give a dollar donation at cvs, thats the only place i really get asked.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Just left Wal-Mart. Sure enough, heard the cashier ask me if I wanted to donate a dollar to the Children's Miracle Network. I immediately flew into a rage and bludgeoned her body with a deck umbrella I was trying to purchase. As I stood there, covered in the cashier's blood, I looked down with my lip quivering. "I...will...NOT... be...oppressed."

An off duty officer at the store nodded solemnly and let me leave without paying for my purchases. I will gladly take half the sum I just saved and donate it to the charity of MY choice on MY terms.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm

:lol:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:05 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Just left Wal-Mart. Sure enough, heard the cashier ask me if I wanted to donate a dollar to the Children's Miracle Network. I immediately flew into a rage and bludgeoned her body with a deck umbrella I was trying to purchase. As I stood there, covered in the cashier's blood, I looked down with my lip quivering. "I...will...NOT... be...oppressed."

An off duty officer at the store nodded solemnly and let me leave without paying for my purchases. I will gladly take half the sum I just saved and donate it to the charity of MY choice on MY terms.

Did you put out your cigeratte on the dead cashiers face?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:24 pm

how on earth could this bother a human being? It's 1 dollar.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:55 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Just left Wal-Mart. Sure enough, heard the cashier ask me if I wanted to donate a dollar to the Children's Miracle Network. I immediately flew into a rage and bludgeoned her body with a deck umbrella I was trying to purchase. As I stood there, covered in the cashier's blood, I looked down with my lip quivering. "I...will...NOT... be...oppressed."

OMG.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 pm

There is a difference between a charity asking for money and a third party doing it. If redwill calls and is asking for money, fine. I'll donate or not, and I expect a certain amount of pressure. But if I'm at the grocery store I don't expect the cashier to be pushing me to donate. Ask once, fine, no problem. Keep pressing, and that's not appropriate, and I would be completely uncomfortable doing that if I were the cashier.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:40 pm

doublem wrote:how on earth could this bother a human being? It's 1 dollar.

IMO if Walmart donated $1 of every sale they made, it'd be less of an impact to the donor.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:43 pm

*single tear* god bless America.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 pm

mac5155 wrote:
doublem wrote:how on earth could this bother a human being? It's 1 dollar.

IMO if Walmart donated $1 of every sale they made, it'd be less of an impact to the donor.

Instead of dividend checks, they could mail out charitable receipts to the shareholders.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

OMG.

i know, i cannot believe shaf shops at walmart either...
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby doublem on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 pm

I usually give the dollar but never in my life have I been bothered by someone asking. I give to charity regularly and volunteer but even if I didn't I have more important crap to be bothered with.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR