Windstream/ATT/Alternates to cable internet

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Windstream/ATT/Alternates to cable internet

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:38 am

Does anyone have any good/bad experiences to share about non-cable company internet suppliers? I'm leaving TWC and trying to figure out my best option.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Windstream/ATT/Alternates to cable internet

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 am

Windstream is offered is some of the more rural areas north of Pittsburgh (Kittanning) and when I was selling TVs I heard nothing but how lousy it was for tv and internet.

Someone who went to PSU correct me if I'm wrong, but my cousin still lives in the State College area and his only option is [I think] Windstream and he said it is very limited.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 am

Pretty sure I'm going with Directv for the tv part, just trying to figure out the other parts.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Windstream is offered is some of the more rural areas north of Pittsburgh (Kittanning) and when I was selling TVs I heard nothing but how lousy it was for tv and internet.

Someone who went to PSU correct me if I'm wrong, but my cousin still lives in the State College area and his only option is [I think] Windstream and he said it is very limited.

I had Comcast both years when I was up there. A lot of the people downtown didn't have Comcast though if I remember correctly... but I also don't think they had Windstream. I'm not sure.

I had Atlantic Broadband in Altoona, and it sucked.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 am

MWB wrote:Pretty sure I'm going with Directv for the tv part, just trying to figure out the other parts.

From an internet standpoint, you 'll get higher bandwidth but longer latency.

What does that mean? It means your streaming apps will run better, but character echo and smaller transactions will seem "dog slow"
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Return to NHR