Boys Names

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boys Names

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 pm

redwill wrote:Picking up on what George Carlin was saying, spelling is bothersome, too. I once had a neighbor who had kids named "Khamryn" and "Kharsyn."

These folks were WASPs. They just couldn't bring themselves to have something so common as "Cameron" and "Carson."

Why would you do this to a child? You are forcing your child to SPELL OUT HIS NAME EVERYDAY FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

And he'll never be able to buy a keychain at the gift shop.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 am

we need more Bort license plates in the giftshop
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 pm

opie22002 wrote:The mrs and I are expecting our first child, a boy, in October. We're trying to agree on names. I'm a teacher so I tend to throw out most names that are common.

We were thinking of Heath or Logan. I really like Logan but we've heard it's a common girls name too.

Thoughts?

My oldest son's name is Logan, he's 18. Yes, it is also a fairly common girl's name, but he/we have never had a problem with it. There was even a girl, as well as another boy, in his class with that name. There are a lot of ambiguous names being used these days (Syndey, Bailey, etc.)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Image

we need more Bort license plates in the giftshop

Were you talkin' to me?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:26 pm

my son is also named Bort
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm

I have never met a girl named Logan, but I do know quite a few Logan's that are guys.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 pm

redwill wrote:I once had a neighbor who had kids named "Khamryn" and "Kharsyn."

These folks were WASPs. They just couldn't bring themselves to have something so common as "Cameron" and "Carson."

Why would you do this to a child? You are forcing your child to SPELL OUT HIS NAME EVERYDAY FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

I was getting to make a very similar post in the pet peeves thread. What started the trend with (and I apologize in advance to those who I might offend) these stupid name variations?

Your name is John, not Jawhan
Your name is Jason, not Jaysien
Your name is Cameron, not Khamryn
etc etc

Yes, you are so original....just like everybody else. :roll:

How are these kids supposed to learn to spell their names when their parents are giving them an impossible and illogical spelling?

Spoiler:
/rant

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:51 pm

I think Rylan is a cool name. For real. Not messing with you.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I do too. Not my real name though, it was a nickname.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 pm

JS, the rumored name for Kanye West and Kim Kardashian's kid is either Kaidence or Klementine. What do you think? :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Rylan wrote:I do too. Not my real name though, it was a nickname.

Oh. So what's your name, Josh or something?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Ryan. lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Rylan wrote:Ryan. lol

what the hell, you just added a letter. i'm laughing.

Ryan's good though.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:04 pm

JS© wrote:
redwill wrote:I once had a neighbor who had kids named "Khamryn" and "Kharsyn."

I was getting to make a very similar post in the pet peeves thread. What started the trend with (and I apologize in advance to those who I might offend) these stupid name variations?

Your name is John, not Jawhan
Your name is Jason, not Jaysien
Your name is Cameron, not Khamryn
etc etc

Yes, you are so original....just like everybody else. :roll:

How are these kids supposed to learn to spell their names when their parents are giving them an impossible and illogical spelling?

Spoiler:
/rant

My wife coached a girl in volleyball whose name was L-a, pronounced La Dash A (A sound like Zebra). Let that one sink in. L-a
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

Ryan's good though.

It was cause my boss at one job always would add an L to my name for no reason and it stuck.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

Ryan's good though.

i've found ryan to be a pretty frustrating name to have. easily 60-70% of people i introduce myself to think my name is brian.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm

My cousins name was Ryan. For some reason everyone called him bryar. So he changed his name to bryar when he was about 8.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Ryan's good though.

i've found ryan to be a pretty frustrating name to have. easily 60-70% of people i introduce myself to think my name is brian.

Right?! Did you ever have the issue where you correct them and they say Brian again? Makes me rage that I have to keep saying my name.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Ryan's good though.

Right?! Did you ever have the issue where you correct them and they say Brian again? Makes me rage that I have to keep saying my name.

That must be frustrating, Brian
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm

How I feel.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Crom
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm

lol
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Sarcastic wrote:JS, the rumored name for Kanye West and Kim Kardashian's kid is either Kaidence or Klementine. What do you think? :)

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Ryan's good though.

Yes. And forget about it if you ever expect the correct name to be on your receipt at Panera Bread. Not happening.

So basically, LGP, stop naming your kids Ryan. It needs to die out.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Shyster wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Grandfather is Joe.
Father is Joe.
I am Joe.
Son is...Joe.

Not much creativity in our family.

Could be worse. George Foreman has five sons and named each of them George: George Jr., George III, George IV, George V, and George VI.

One of Byran Garner's recent emailings was on the subject of using Jr., Sr., III, etc. in a name, and it reminded me of this post.

Lesson #120:
What are the rules for using the labels Jr., Sr., III, etc. in a name?

Three traditional rules govern these labels (although often ignored in modern usage):

1. A son drops the Jr. label soon after his father dies—as Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes did. But there are two exceptions to this rule. First, if the father was especially famous, the son may retain Jr. {Frank Sinatra Jr.} {Hank Williams Jr.}. (Holmes was unmoved by this rationale.) Second, a son who earns an honorary title, such as Dr., Admiral, etc., should drop Jr. even if his father is still alive because the title differentiates the two men, making Jr. unnecessary.

The dropping of Jr. has long been considered proper form. But today many an octogenarian keeps the Jr., perhaps from a misplaced filial piety and the hope of preserving memories. Let no one doubt, however, what all the etiquette mavens have long said:
• 1937: "At the death of his father, he is no longer junior." Margery Wilson, Pocket Book of Etiquette 105 (1937).
• 1938: "After the death of the father, the son drops the 'junior' from his name." Mrs. Cornelius Beeckman, Common Sense in Etiquette 72 (1938).
• 1955: "A man is 'Mark Strand Jr.' only while his father is alive and, of course, he bears his father's exact name." Nancy Loughridge, Dictionary of Etiquette 105 (1955).
• 1963: "[A] man is 'junior' only while his father is alive and, of course, only if he bears the identical name." Amy Vanderbilt, New Complete Book of Etiquette 594 (1963).
• 1990: "Names are traditionally numbered only among the living." Judith Martin, Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millenium 60 (1990).
• 2003: "When the father dies, the son usually drops the 'Jr.' within two years' time, since there is no longer a confusion between the two men—unless, of course, the man is the son of a very famous man . . . ." Letitia Baldridge, Letitia Baldridge's New Manners for New Times 653 (2003).

2. The names must be identical to use Jr. and Sr. So the second Bush president (George W. Bush) is not a junior because his father's name is different (George Herbert Walker Bush). Yet for journalists and the public it has become common shorthand to use "George Bush Jr." and "George Bush Sr." for easy identification.

3. When a man shares a name with both his living father (Jr.) and his living grandfather (Sr.), he may adopt the label 3rd or III. If the grandfather dies first, the grandson becomes Jr. If the father dies before the grandfather, the grandson stays 3rd or III. After both the father and grandfather have died, the grandson drops all labels.

Yet the issue that most often arises is punctuation: comma or no comma before Jr.? Journalists prefer omitting the comma—and this approach is logical because the label actually is restrictive. That is, the Jr. is a differentiator, not an appositive. Men who bear these labels, however, seem to prefer the comma. Although both forms are acceptable, LawProse's in-house style is to omit the comma {Jack M. White Jr.}. Not only does the comma-less Jr. make possessives easier {Jack M. White Jr.'s book}, but it also looks cleaner. Strunk & White preferred it that way. So should you.

Sources:
William Strunk Jr. & E.B. White, The Elements
of Style 3 (3d ed. 1979).
The Chicago Manual of Style § 6.47 at 322-23
(16th ed. 2010).
Garner's Modern American Usage 555-56
(3d ed. 2009).
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR